FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 151 of 193 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 149 150 151 152 153 161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #1501
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Worked on the car after another long day at work. 4:30-7.
    Checked my pressure test. It had dropped since last night. Dang. Even worse it didn't drop a lot. That means it is a very small leak.

    So I located some leak detector fluid and started looked for a leak.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  2. #1502
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I found the leak. Why am I not surprised. The new replacement fitting from Josh (D-Ind) also has a leak....on the weld. It is smaller than the leak on the first one but still a leak nevertheless.

    I messaged Josh. He said the part was leak tested before sending it out and maybe I damaged it installing it. I am not really buying it. I am done playing this game. I am going to bring the original fitting to my buddy that does TIG welding so he can fix it.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  3. #1503
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    So I feel I need to share some information about life with Parkinsons Disease. PD. is caused by a loss of dopamine to the brain. Dopamine does a lot of things for you. People know about some of the issues lack of Dopamine cause: the Tremors, balance issues, coordination but it is so much more.
    For example when it comes to working on the Delorean-
    I don't ever "Feel like" working on the car anymore. I have to make myself work on it.
    I can't remember where we left off or how things go back together. So I have to start over every time.
    My left hand doesn't work right. I just plain can't do certain movements with it.
    I can't do anything else while working on the car. It is too much at once.
    My left shoulder, arm, hand is stiff and sore
    I don't have a lot of patience anymore
    If anything goes wrong I feel like giving up
    I am tired and feel like going home and going to sleep.
    I get overwhelmed if I think about the whole car and everything that needs to be done

    So when something happens like this bad fitting it really knocks me down.
    I have to remind myself how lucky I am to have the shop, the car, the money to do this project, my wife doing this with me, and my followers of the project online.

    We put new door struts on before leaving for the night. Something quick and easy. The struts we had on there were just some struts off Ebay. They didn't hold the doors up very well. The new ones from D-Ind were way stronger. We kept the other ones incase we lighten the doors in the future.




    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  4. #1504
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    2,546

    My VIN:    6125

    Thanks for sharing your journey with us, both with this car and with your personal battle with Parkinson's. I can't imagine it's easy to be candid about the day-to-day struggles of PD, so I appreciate you explaining what it's like so we can all understand.

    Following along with this thread is one of the few things that keeps me coming back to DMCTalk these days, so keep up the good work and hopefully you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and find joy in working on the car.

    It sounds like you've got some good strategies for getting past the mental hurdles like with the A/C system by setting yourself up with some quick wins like fixing the door struts. That's a really good way to keep moving forward when it starts to feel overwhelming.

  5. #1505
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Thanks for sharing your journey with us, both with this car and with your personal battle with Parkinson's. I can't imagine it's easy to be candid about the day-to-day struggles of PD, so I appreciate you explaining what it's like so we can all understand.

    Following along with this thread is one of the few things that keeps me coming back to DMCTalk these days, so keep up the good work and hopefully you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and find joy in working on the car.

    It sounds like you've got some good strategies for getting past the mental hurdles like with the A/C system by setting yourself up with some quick wins like fixing the door struts. That's a really good way to keep moving forward when it starts to feel overwhelming.
    Thanks Mark I appreciate it.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  6. #1506
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,541

    I certainly hope you can continue. If not, I wonder if you can pay someone to finish the car. You?ve done such great work so far, you definitely need to drive it one day. I recall you working with inmates. Is there any chance you can employ their help? Just thinking out loud, if I were in prison, I sure would like working on something like this. I suppose the red tape would be too much.

    My prayers and thoughts are with you.

  7. #1507
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I certainly hope you can continue. If not, I wonder if you can pay someone to finish the car. You?ve done such great work so far, you definitely need to drive it one day. I recall you working with inmates. Is there any chance you can employ their help? Just thinking out loud, if I were in prison, I sure would like working on something like this. I suppose the red tape would be too much.

    My prayers and thoughts are with you.
    That's a cool idea but unfortunately they don't let them out until their time served is up. I'll get it finished. Just really difficult sometimes. I have a couple local buddies that are car guys that I may ask to help us.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  8. #1508
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I picked up my fixed fitting. Looks good. Josh is saying that the o-rings are not reusable and i am not sure yet if I can get the bands off without damaging them but I figure it is worth a try at this point. If I reuse the bands and o-rings and it leaks I'm just out my time and effort.

    Repaired fitting looks good to me.



    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  9. #1509
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I found a video online and the guy using the fittings says that the same tool that is used to install the bands can also be used to remove them (without damaging them).
    Josh says "The o-rings are one time use".
    I know he is the expert but I am not really convinced that the o-rings cannot be reused if they are in good condition. So I am going to reuse the o-rings and the clamp bands. If it leaks then shame on me.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  10. #1510
    Junior Mint Member Carbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2024

    Location:  Bolton, Ontario, Canada

    Posts:    98

    I have that proper tool and could never get it to work for removing the clamps. I cut them off with a cut-off tool. And I've reused the fittings, with the original O-rings and have never had a leak. Obviously if they look damaged they should be replaced, but I think it would take some effort to damage them.

    Thank you for posting the info on PD. It is a remarkable job you are doing without that interfering. With it, I really admire your stick-to-it-iveness.

    Rick

Page 151 of 193 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 149 150 151 152 153 161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •