FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 154 of 193 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 164 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #1531
    Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Lexington, NC

    Posts:    817

    My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

    Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    1982 Frame Off Restoration

    Well the fenders are Chinese made

  2. #1532
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    2,546

    My VIN:    6125

    Hopefully it's possible to adjust the fender for better fitment. I can't say that I've seen anyone outside of DMCH's promo videos actually install one of the new repro fenders yet. Seems like there was a significant number of people that bought one as a backup to keep on a shelf or hang on the wall.

    So you may be in uncharted territory with what you need to do to make it fit. Best case scenario you get away with just adding a few shims or spacers. But from the photos it looks like the shape of the bends are slightly off, which is more concerning. I'd be interested to see how it lines up with the hood in place.

    Good to hear that DMCH is working with you though. From all of the hype showing off the development process, manufacturing, quality control checks, etc. you would think these should be perfect out of the box.

    No matter how tight the controls are on the fender itself though, there are also variations from car to car with the fiberglass body tubs and alignment of the doors. Are the original factory installed fenders perfect one-size-fits-all panels, or did those require some bending and tweaking here and there to get them to fit perfectly if swapped from one car to another?

  3. #1533
    LS Swapper Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  Illinois

    Posts:    2,514

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (ADOA)

    The panels on these cars are not very transferable from car to car.
    Im sure there are issues with the outsourced fender in terms of quality, but I also would not just throw any fender on any car and expect it to fit nicely.

    Supercharged 5.3L LS4 / Porsche 6spd 522 whp

  4. #1534
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Mid-afternoon I heard a loud sound. Tam ran outside to see what happened. She yelled "Trailer truck!!" So I ran out behind her. A trailer truck was driving way too fast and a old lady with one bad eye pulled out of a food market across the road right into the trailer truck.
    Luckily the lady was okay. She got lucky. The engine ended up in my neighbor's lawn.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  5. #1535
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    After the scene was secured I went back to the shop. I worked on the rear louver for an hour. I installed the spine support that I bought from DMCH. No installation instructions but seemed pretty straight forward.
    I noticed a crack so I am glad I bought this reinforcement.


    Drilled holes with a right angle drill.
    It's tight to try to drill but not have your drill chuck rub on the louver.



    Fully installed. I like it.

    I removed the latch to give it a better paint job. While prepping for paint I removed some of the casting marks.




    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  6. #1536
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    If I am being really nitpicking I'd like to see some simple install instructions for the spine reinforcement and Allen head bolts rather than Philips heads.
    Like I said...nitpicking. not much to not like about this item.

    I have been going into jail on Fridays so I stopped work on the car to grab something for dinner then head in to visit inmates.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  7. #1537
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    9,604

    My VIN:    03572

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    If I am being really nitpicking I'd like to see some simple install instructions for the spine reinforcement and Allen head bolts rather than Philips heads.
    Like I said...nitpicking. not much to not like about this item.

    I have been going into jail on Fridays so I stopped work on the car to grab something for dinner then head in to visit inmates.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    Mine is an old one from the EU. Not much to tell since you already have the holes drilled. Just use strong washers.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  8. #1538
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Went for a / this morning (I'm in the back holding a dog).
    Loaded up the engine cover, rear facia, and front facia from the house.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  9. #1539
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I forgot to post a picture of parts that showed up yesterday. Once again ridiculously fast delivery from D-go.
    I kept waiting to order the improved version of the light switch from DMCH but they never seem to be in stock. Like the seat covers and few other items that never seem to be in stock.

    D-go claims that there switch is more heavy duty than the OEM one. I was tempted to pop it open and see.
    I plan on installing LED lights so should be less strain on the contacts anyways.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  10. #1540
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,540

    My car has a stiffener on the louvers. I?m not sure if it?s home made or not. It works OK, but it hits the wire handle on the plug on the fuel distribution. Does anybody else have that issue? I guess I need to shorten the handle.

Page 154 of 193 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 164 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •