FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 184 of 193 FirstFirst ... 84 134 174 182 183 184 185 186 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #1831
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Another night I decided to work on the high idle issue.
    I started by trying out my new smoke machine.
    I capped off the intake with a 4" plumbing test cap.
    I wedged the throttle disks open.

    I removed a brass plug and installed a barbed hose fitting.

    Smoke machine attached

    I was surprised how tight everything was. The only place I saw smoke was on the W-pipe and eventually on the dipstick.


  2. #1832
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I struggled to understand the design of the connection of this W-pipe back when I installed it and I still do. People have tried explaining it to me but I just don't get it. I think it is a design flaw. The rubber o-rings are not enough to fill the void. Especially with the plastic rings stopping the two parts from pulling tightly together.


    This was also a good opportunity to check the throttle disks.

    I ended up removing the plastic rings, painting the mating surface with anti-seize, and bolted it back together.


    This is a good picture of my throttle spool assembly and where everything is set to.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  3. #1833
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I had no more vacuum leaks but still had the same high idle/lean running condition.

    Andy (82DMC12) had told me how to test the idle control valve. I started by removing the valve, turning the key on, checking to see what the valve did. It did nothing. Shut the key off. It did nothing.

    I hooked negative 12V to the center post and +12V to the other posts one at a time. It did nothing.
    I had ordered a new idle control valve along with some other parts the other day so I figured I might as well dissect this one.

    The parts that are supposed to move were seized.

    I cleaned up the parts, polished the moving parts, lubed the shaft and bearing surfaces. I put it back together. The valve moved easily. I put power to the valve and it moved! But.. that was it. It would do anything else. The motor is toast. Oh well it was worth a try.



    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  4. #1834
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Have you looked at your deceleration springs on the throttle plates? Bad springs cause an air leak and could cause the idle to climb as engine warms up.
    Yeah mine look good. After I assembled my throttle assembly I learned that these springs sometimes (often?) fail and new springs are available. If i had known I may have replaced them. Not a big deal. I will just check them every 5k miles or something.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  5. #1835
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,541

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    I was surprised how tight everything was. The only place I saw smoke was on the W-pipe and eventually on the dipstick.

    Interesting.

  6. #1836
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We just got back from Nashville. It was fun but ended up not really being our "Thing". We had a good time for the most part but we both agreed that for how much money we spent and what we went through to get there and back, we'd prefer to travel abroad. Our thing is to go to Latin America or the Caribbean in the dead of winter or Europe in the late summer, early fall. Well we can say we did it. And we did have some good times with our friends. Good people watching.
    BTW I never saw a single Delorean while there but did see two Cybertrucks. They are such a polarizing vehicle. People either lover them or hate them. Tam hates them and goes on for ten minutes talking about how "stupid they are"
    I think they are awesome...other than being electric haha.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SupercoolBill; 04-20-2026 at 08:16 AM.

  7. #1837
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Back to the car. While we were gone the parts we ordered from DMCH showed up.
    I must say that their packaging is over the top.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  8. #1838
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    2,546

    My VIN:    6125

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    Cybertrucks. They are such a polarizing vehicle. People either lover them or hate them. Tam hates them and goes on for ten minutes talking about how "stupid they are"
    I think they are awesome...other than being electric haha.
    I'll just leave this here :-)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3oO510dyVI


  9. #1839
    Senior Member glockworks21's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2022

    Location:  Ozark, MO

    Posts:    302

    My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

    Yep! love them or hate them. I did however get a cool pic at cars and coffee awhile ago..

    You get a new ISM yet??
    Attached Images

  10. #1840
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    At the end of the day yesterday I opened the latest box.

    Cool kidz cleaning kit



    New idle control valve compared to the old one. It is significantly shorter.





    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

Page 184 of 193 FirstFirst ... 84 134 174 182 183 184 185 186 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •