FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 71 of 111 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 1102

Thread: Farrar's car blog

  1. #701
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    9,603

    My VIN:    03572

    By the way.....I always thought a "half shaft" was on a car that had two shafts to drive the wheel. There were a lot of cars that one side had the half shaft and the other side did not.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  2. #702
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    By the way.....I always thought a "half shaft" was on a car that had two shafts to drive the wheel. There were a lot of cars that one side had the half shaft and the other side did not.
    Yeah, sorry -- now that I've had my coffee I realize I should have said "axle" not "half shaft." DOH!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  3. #703
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Yeah, sorry -- now that I've had my coffee I realize I should have said "axle" not "half shaft." DOH!
    I figured as much, I've come to chalk up confusing Farrar posts to "Pre-coffee" posts.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  4. #704
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    So this is a regular maintenance item? I have put fewer than ten thousand miles on my car since we did those seals on mine.
    I have a feeling I might have installed it crooked. Regardless, I heard from someone in Georgia that Hervey's double lip seals are the best.

    When I get around to it, budget permitting, I will order a new seal from Hervey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Farrar...Im really ecstatic for your response on this mod. Let me know how it works out and what all I would need to order.

    Attachment 8601
    That bracket idea looks awesome. I want one! (budget permitting)

  5. #705
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    That bracket idea looks awesome. I want one! (budget permitting)
    If you want it in stainless steel, the threaded rod joint ends and coupler from McMaster will cost you about $40. You will also need two hex nuts to lock the coupler into place -- one right-hand-threaded and one left-hand-threaded.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  6. #706
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    In other news, I am tired of futzing with steering column bushings. It looks like in this climate those things simply don't last very long. If I am going to replace it every few months, then I want an easier way of changing it out. I have another mounting plan in mind but will have to wait until I have a bushing in hand to take precise measurements of it, so I am adding that to my DeLorean Shopping List.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  7. #707
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    In other news, I am tired of futzing with steering column bushings. It looks like in this climate those things simply don't last very long. If I am going to replace it every few months, then I want an easier way of changing it out. I have another mounting plan in mind but will have to wait until I have a bushing in hand to take precise measurements of it, so I am adding that to my DeLorean Shopping List.
    So far my bushing is holding up fine with the RTV. Maybe you should take the steering column out and install it like I did.

  8. #708
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    9,603

    My VIN:    03572

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    If you want it in stainless steel, the threaded rod joint ends and coupler from McMaster will cost you about $40. You will also need two hex nuts to lock the coupler into place -- one right-hand-threaded and one left-hand-threaded.
    I've been thinking about that. You could just have one rod end bearing not threaded. So drill out the threads on the shaft. Then it would just be bottomed out.

    Just say this because I know I have some rod end bearing from my airplane building days.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  9. #709
    My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Sacramento-ish

    Posts:    4,408

    My VIN:    02100

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    In other news, I am tired of futzing with steering column bushings. It looks like in this climate those things simply don't last very long. If I am going to replace it every few months, then I want an easier way of changing it out. I have another mounting plan in mind but will have to wait until I have a bushing in hand to take precise measurements of it, so I am adding that to my DeLorean Shopping List.
    Get the Delrin one from DPNW, it will outlast the rest of the car I was on the fence about it but after having installed it I can say it's an excellent quality part and there really aren't any drawbacks besides being somewhat difficult to install. You'll have to take the column out and use some mechanical force to snap it in (I used a threaded rod, 24mm deepwell socket, 2 nuts, some fender washers and vice grips) but after that you'll never fiddle with another bushing.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

  10. #710
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Get the Delrin one from DPNW, it will outlast the rest of the car
    I was told that Houston's would last a year, but after two months it was in pieces. I think the climate and roads here are very hard on that bushing.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 71 of 111 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •