FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 370

Thread: How to maintain your Delorean for less than $500 a year and put 10,000 miles on it

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    So far my RTVd steering column bushing is holding up fine. I logged about 80 miles today and I must say it was exciting driving around without that stupid rattle. The car handled very nicely and it only cost me about 15 cents in RTV to fix.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    I'm off to a good start for the month of February. So far it is the 4th and I haven't spent a penny on 16510 for the month. Hopefully I can keep this up for at least a couple of weeks.

  3. #73
    DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Taylors SC

    Posts:    5,327

    My VIN:    (former)05429

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I'm off to a good start for the month of February. So far it is the 4th and I haven't spent a penny on 16510 for the month. Hopefully I can keep this up for at least a couple of weeks.
    That's cheating when you are 5000 miles from the car. . . . .
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Total expenses to date: $180.46

    Expense #1 (Radiator Leak) - January 7, 2012 - 44,079 Miles - Total Cost: $117.83 (including tax)
    Expense #2 (Radiator Leak) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $7.40 (including tax)
    Expense #3 (Replaced windshield wipers) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $17.54 (including tax)
    Expense #4 (Oil Change) - January 21, 2012 - 44,643 Miles - Total Cost: $24.4616 (including tax)
    Expense #4 (Reinstalled steering column bushing) - January 22, 2012 - 44,693 - Total Cost: $1.35 (including tax)
    Expense #5 (bought coolant and water) - February 20, 2012 - 45,000 - Total Cost: $11.88


    I got home from my trip, did a little driving and noticed I still have a coolant leak at the radiator hose coming from the top of the radiator. I went to walmart the other day and bough some more coolant/water to keep in the car so I can keep the thing topped off. In the next week or so I will remove the hose, inspect the radiator and replace the hose.

  5. #75
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Will you stay in budget if you have a $40 alternator tensioner?
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Will you stay in budget if you have a $40 alternator tensioner?
    I'm not going to buy one if it is $40. $10, maybe. $40, certainly not.

  7. #77
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Maybe it would be $10 if you got the parts in zinc-plated steel instead of stainless... I will check the prices.

    Edit: you can save some money on the ball joint rod ends (a.k.a. Heim joints) at $3.37 each, but the threaded connector is $15.37 (McMaster only offers one in that size).
    Last edited by Farrar; 02-23-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Maybe it would be $10 if you got the parts in zinc-plated steel instead of stainless... I will check the prices.
    Oh well. There is always next year. I wouldn't be in this bind if it wasn't for my stinking radiator problem.

  9. #79
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Oh well. There is always next year. I wouldn't be in this bind if it wasn't for my stinking radiator problem.
    You could always take another trip and increase your odds...win-win!

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    You could always take another trip and increase your odds...win-win!
    Thats pretty funny right there but the next two trips are going to be Orlando and a road trip to the east coast. Both trips will be in 16510.

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •