Location: CLE/PHX
Posts: 2,613
My VIN: 5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538
www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)
Care to offer me a discounted one at DCS if this one starts leaking? I think Hervey has the cheapest price but I'd love to buy from you if you find me entertaining.
Well the repaired radiator is installed. I put a pressure tester on it about an hour ago and left it at 15 pounds. So far no leaks.
The next thing on tonight's list is to hook up my ac compressor belt. I disconnected it last year when doing other work and have been too lazy to reinstall it.
After I get the ac belt reinstalled I will check my ac level and top off if it needs any.
The stinking AC belt reinstall didn't go too well. I was tensioning it and noticed the bracket was bending out. I later noticed that one of the bolts that holds the bracket onto the engine wouldn't stay in. It turns out the threads in the engine are stripped.
It looks like I will be driving to Walmart tonight with no AC. The good news is I am going to Walmart to get some of those new iPads to put on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Overnig...item231b20211d
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)
Total expenses to date: $247.0716
Expense #1 (Radiator Leak) - January 7, 2012 - 44,079 Miles - Total Cost: $117.83 (including tax)
Expense #2 (Radiator Leak) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $7.40 (including tax)
Expense #3 (Replaced windshield wipers) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $17.54 (including tax)
Expense #4 (Oil Change) - January 21, 2012 - 44,643 Miles - Total Cost: $24.4616 (including tax)
Expense #4 (Reinstalled steering column bushing) - January 22, 2012 - 44,693 - Total Cost: $1.35 (including tax)
Expense #5 (bought coolant and water) - February 20, 2012 - 45,000 - Total Cost: $11.88 (including tax)
Expense #6 (replaced rear interior light) - February 23, 2012 - 45,500 - Total Cost: $31 (no tax and free shipping courtesy of Farrar)
Expense #7 (replaced heater control valve) - March 4, 2012 - 45,766 - Total Cost: $10.39 (including tax)
Expense #8 (bought more coolant/water) - March 7, 2012 - 45,766 - Total Cost: 23.65 (including tax)
Expense #9 (glued rear view mirror to windshield) - March 16, 2012 - 45,772 - Total Cost: $1.57
Well, at least something went right tonight. I decided that since my car is drivable again it would be a good time to reinstall my interior rear view mirror. Using a piece of glue padding I purchased from eBay, I installed the rear view mirror and I can now see behind me.
Upon driving today I noticed my radiator appears to still have a stinking leak. This means I will not be going back to the repair shop to have them "fix" it. And I checked my refrigerant level and its way too low to top off with r134a. I'm guessing I will need a new condenser and radiator. The fascia needs to be repainted too because of the incident at the inspection station. I was going to paint it myself, but I'm seriously just thinking of calling my insurance company on Monday to discuss my options. It just stinks that this happened almost 3 months ago and I am just now calling the insurance company about it. I've got a $1,000 deductible which I didn't really want to spend but I'm fed up with this crap. I guess the title of this thread should be changed to how not to maintain your Delorean for less than $500 a year and put 10,000 miles on it.
Location: Sacramento-ish
Posts: 4,408
My VIN: 02100
Club(s): (NCDMC) (DCUK)
Sorry to hear it Steve. Ambitious goal and maybe one you could have hit if it was just maintenance and not repairs too. No one could realistically maintain *and* repair ANY car for this money.
I wonder if you should subtract "damage and damage related expenses" and see if you can still do it?
Last edited by jawn101; 03-16-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Jon
1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
restoration log, March 2011 to present
full and detailed photo restoration log
I was saving this for(what I thought would be) later, but WTH
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)
I'm going to keep this thread going, regardless of what I spend this year and people can make their own decision as to what I spent to maintain my car.
Below is my new shopping list. The main reason I want to buy from Hervey for this order is because he has a larger AC condensor than what the Houston guys are selling. And since I'm ticked off anyway, I might as well spend the $219 for new AC lines anyway, whether or not insurance will being paying for this stuff.
100415C New fans and radiator mounted & tested. $499.90
30591 AC compressor hoses R134A spliced. $219.00
106327HE AC condensor core only new $139.95
Total From Hervey: $858.85
In addition to this, if I do file the insurance claim I am going to insist that the fascia be painted. It only had a few small dings in it before the incident. Now its got all sorts of chips of paint missing. If I am going to spend $1,000 for a deductible I might as well get at least $1,000 worth of repairs.
Location: Sacramento-ish
Posts: 4,408
My VIN: 02100
Club(s): (NCDMC) (DCUK)
Jon
1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
restoration log, March 2011 to present
full and detailed photo restoration log
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)