Well, I don't want to start a debate, but I disagree with those peopleParticularly with my car now being souped up, the weaknesses in the suspension and brakes are becoming more apparent.
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,405
My VIN: 01049
Well, I don't want to start a debate, but I disagree with those peopleParticularly with my car now being souped up, the weaknesses in the suspension and brakes are becoming more apparent.
-Mike
My engine twists my frame.
1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
2005 Elise, stock
2016 Chevy Cruze
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 1,181
My VIN: 3676
Club(s): (DMWC) (DCUK)
So are you factoring these in as "optional" equipment that's unrelated to necessary spending/maintenance for the sake of your budget? I'd say you can and have it mentioned as an addendum of "unnecessary purchases" or those unrelated to direct maintenance.
After having them on my car, I'd say that they ARE a needed upgrade, though.
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,405
My VIN: 01049
This may be an odd sounding question, but would you say you experience an improvement in heavy braking feel?
-Mike
My engine twists my frame.
1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
2005 Elise, stock
2016 Chevy Cruze
Location: Sacramento-ish
Posts: 4,408
My VIN: 02100
Club(s): (NCDMC) (DCUK)
You guys have me curious again on these. I dismissed them when Martin said they weren't *necessary* but besides the cost, I don't see any reason not to do them. And if Steve's gonna do it, knowing how carefully he's weighing his decisions and expenses this year that says something. Even if they don't count toward his total.
The question is, how do you guys drive your cars? Is it more day to day city and highway driving, or would you characterize your style as more "spirited"? The majority of my drive time is cruising straightaways, but on a recent drive through the mountains I definitely noticed some handling deficiencies. That isn't my norm, though - so if that's the only situation these would help in, I'd probably still give them a miss. Do you think they make a noticeable difference in normal, low-key driving as well?
Jon
1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
restoration log, March 2011 to present
full and detailed photo restoration log
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,740
My VIN: 02613
Club(s): (DCF)
I volunteer to accompany Steve and take lots of photos for the installation of the LCA braces, as a service to the community ... and as a service to myself since I plan to do this as well (eventually).
3.0L, automatic, carbureted
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)
Its being factored in with all of other exenses. At the end of the year I will give everyone a breakdown of what was necessary and what wasn't. If a person wants to maintain their car for less then $500 a year they can just avoid the uneccessary expenses.
I did some reading on the UK forum before making my decision and read somewhere that Ed once offered a money back guarantee to anyone that wasn't happy with the improvement after installing them. I don't know if he still offers that or not but to me that is a pretty impressive offer. I would never ask Dave/Julie to give me the same deal, but based on everything I've read about them (and Ed's offer), I have no doubt that I will be pleased with this product.
Sounds like a good article for GulfCoastDeloreans.com
Location: Sacramento-ish
Posts: 4,408
My VIN: 02100
Club(s): (NCDMC) (DCUK)
Jon
1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
restoration log, March 2011 to present
full and detailed photo restoration log
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)
Damn, it seems Steve took me wrong and is not speaking to me now...
I was only trying to bring your bottom line down and give you some wiggle room..
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)
Nah, I ain't mad at nobody. Incidentaly, do you need lodging at DCS? Right now I think its me, Bill, and Farrar, but there is still room for one more.
People with K-Jet have certain problems that keep them from worrying about things such as suspension and brakes.