FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 370

Thread: How to maintain your Delorean for less than $500 a year and put 10,000 miles on it

  1. #241
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    While I was under the car I also adjusted my Spax Shocks..
    Do you know how many clicks you are at?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Maybe I'll go hang out with Ron and Sean at one of their tech sessions.
    July and August work for me!
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Do you know how many clicks you are at?



    July and August work for me!
    Yep. I set them to the firmest setting just to see how the car rides with firm shocks and Eds brackets. I'll probably soften them in a few days.

    Sometime this summer for a tech day would be great although I can't afford to spend any money on my car. J/k

  3. #243
    Bad Apple Lou and "Boo"'s Avatar
    Join Date:  Sep 2011

    Posts:    531

    My VIN:    5835

    Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

    Summer on the east coast

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Yep. I set them to the firmest setting just to see how the car rides with firm shocks and Eds brackets. I'll probably soften them in a few days.

    Sometime this summer for a tech day would be great although I can't afford to spend any money on my car. J/k
    Steve, will you be by Long Island this summer, we could get together and have some diet cheerwine. I can have Bill send me some .LOL

    Louis Duet
    "Boo" #5835
    Baldwin, NY
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

  4. #244
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Westenddmc12 View Post
    Steve, will you be by Long Island this summer, we could get together and have some diet cheerwine. I can have Bill send me some .LOL

    Louis Duet
    "Boo" #5835
    Baldwin, NY
    Don't know. I've got no plans to be in NY, but if I am I will be sure to let you know. On another note, my next extended drive (after orlando) will involve stopping somewhere and purchasing as much diet cheerwine as I can possibly fit in the Delorean. Its going to be very interesting.

  5. #245
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Well, I'm to lazy to go outside to get the exact mileage but I rolled past 48,000 miles this weekend.

  6. #246
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Total expenses to date: $773.1732 Miles Driven: 5,140
    Expense #1 (Radiator Leak) - January 7, 2012 - 44,079 Miles - Total Cost: $117.83 (including tax)
    Expense #2 (Radiator Leak) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $7.40 (including tax)
    Expense #3 (Replaced windshield wipers) - January 15, 2012 - 44,386 Miles - Total Cost: $17.54 (including tax)
    Expense #4 (Oil Change) - January 21, 2012 - 44,643 Miles - Total Cost: $24.4616 (including tax)
    Expense #4 (Reinstalled steering column bushing) - January 22, 2012 - 44,693 - Total Cost: $1.35 (including tax)
    Expense #5 (bought coolant and water) - February 20, 2012 - 45,000 - Total Cost: $11.88 (including tax)
    Expense #6 (replaced rear interior light) - February 23, 2012 - 45,500 - Total Cost: $31 (no tax and free shipping courtesy of Farrar)
    Expense #7 (replaced heater control valve) - March 4, 2012 - 45,766 - Total Cost: $10.39 (including tax)
    Expense #8 (bought more coolant/water) - March 7, 2012 - 45,766 - Total Cost: 23.65 (including tax)
    Expense #9 (glued rear view mirror to windshield) - March 16, 2012 - 45,772 - Total Cost: $1.57
    Expense #10 (604 Manifold and Shipping to Captain Carburetor) - March 22, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $179.65
    Expense #11 (7mm Helicoil Kit) - March 23, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $49.25 (including tax)
    Expense #12 (throttle cable) - March 23, 2012 - 45,840 - Total Cost: $4.20ish (I lost my receipt)
    Expense #13 (new wire connector) - April 14, 2012 - 46,123 - Total Cost: $0.25ish (part was laying around)
    Expense/Deduction #14 (removed 604 manifold/carb) - April 15th, 2012 - 46,200 - Total Cost: -$179.65 (selling it)
    Expense #15 (installed new crimp on throttle cable) - April 16th, 2012 - 46,220 - Total Cost : $1.51 (including tax)
    Expense #16 (alignment) - April 21, 2012 - 46,700 - Total Cost: Free (I have a lifetime alignment plan)
    Expense #17 (reinforced black lip of binnacle with black screw) - April 21, 2012 - 46,725 - Total Cost: $2.32 (including tax)
    Expense # 18 (installed adjustable alternator bracket) - April 24, 2012 - 46,873 - Total Cost: $55.90 (including shipping from McMaster)
    Expense # 19 (front wheel balance) - April 26, 2012 - 47,002 - Total Cost $23.92 (including tax/fees)
    Expense #20 (oil change) - April 29, 2012 - 47,238 - Total Cost $24.4716 (including tax)
    Expense #21 (LCA Brackets from DMCMW) - May 2, 2012 - 47,461 - Total Cost $361.78 (including shipping)
    Expense #22 (Shift Linkage) - May 5, 2012 - 47,640 - Total Cost $0.00
    Expense #23 (Weather stripping glue, CB Radio, Cigarette Lighter, Fixed some rattles) - June 12, 2012 - 49,219 - Total Cost $2.50


    I did a few little tid bits to make the drive to DCS more pleasant.

    My weather stripping was coming loose on the rear panels so I glued it back with some black RTV. The job was a little messy but I estimate the cost to be about 50 cents worth of RTV.

    I decided I wanted to use a CB radio for the trip. I put my nice magnetic antenna on the T Panel and connected the CB directly to my car battery. No expense was involved with this. I bough this equipment over 10 years ago and I'm not counting it as a Delorean expense. The CB is sitting unmounted on the rear parcel shelf.

    I also decided I wanted to use my radar detector. I ran new wire to my cigarette lighter as there was a problem with the old wiring. Between two pieces of wire, two easy connects, and two terminals I couldn't have used more than $2 worth of material.

    I also decided to fix a rattle that was coming from below the parcel shelf on both sides of the car. I fixed the rattle by pressing cardboard into the areas that were rattling. There is no longer a rattle and the cardboard was free courtesy of the USA tax payer. I used USPS Priority Mail boxes for my cardboard.

  7. #247
    Senior Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Atlanta OTP GA

    Posts:    7,085

    My VIN:    2743

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I decided I wanted to use a CB radio for the trip. I put my nice magnetic antenna on the T Panel and connected the CB directly to my car battery. No expense was involved with this.
    OK, Steve, just to show that we are paying attention and actually reading this, how did you manage this?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

    I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

    http://www.will-to-live.org

    No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    OK, Steve, just to show that we are paying attention and actually reading this, how did you manage this?
    Stainless is made out of metal. Magnets stick to metal. I can demonstrate at DCS if you would like.

  9. #249
    Nothing witty here lest it offend
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    990

    Icp

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Stainless is made out of metal. Magnets stick to metal. I can demonstrate at DCS if you would like.


    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ymanBY3N_5...-they-work.jpgmagnets-how-do-they-work.jpg

  10. #250
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Actually, the stainless itself is not ferrous enough, so the magnet is attracted to the steel roof cage underneath it.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •