FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 410

Thread: The Restoration of #1768

  1. #131
    Senior Member Domi's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  France

    Posts:    2,462

    My VIN:    16951

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

    About your rust problem on the roof, Ed from DeLorean Europe has the solution:
    http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/produ...8003&cPath=167
    It is all stainless.
    Nevertheless, it is a bit expensive...

  2. #132
    Senior Member vwdmc16's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  sacramento

    Posts:    1,418

    My VIN:    1768

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Oh yes ive drooled over that a few times, Quite out of my budget and requirements honestly. My original box just has a bit of surface rust flakes that were vacuumed away, Now that the car is in dry and sunny California I doubt major rust repair will be required up there for another 30 years.

  3. #133
    Senior Member vwdmc16's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  sacramento

    Posts:    1,418

    My VIN:    1768

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    May 14



    I finished up the roof after cleaned out all the rust flakes in the roof which weren't as bad as I thought, But to do so I had to disconnect the 4 large plugs in the roof to get access. After plugging them back together none of my door electrics worked, Ah shit. After tugging and twisting wires I could get the mirrors, the windows or the locks to work but never all three. after an hour of mostly cursing and taking the plugs apart and cleaning the terminals everything worked. Will they continue to work after the next pothole? who knows.


    Last night I started on something more productive. More head way on the EFI conversion





    This 1/2" aluminum plate is the beginning of my new dual throttle body adapters. They will connect the Volvo 740 16V throttle bodys to the DMC intake. They are relatively easy to build.




    Three of the TB holes are 6mm and are tapped into the adapter. The upper Left one has to go through the plate and into the manifold so it will be a m8 bolt.




    The other M8 bolt that threads into the manifold has to sit counter sunk in the adapter so the TB can sit over it.




    Now the adapters need cleaning up and some more trimming so they look good. But they bolt up nice.






    Sadly the Volvo Tb is not symmetrical so I can't just make a mirror image copy of this right hand adapter for the left side. Also the TB will interfere with the rubber hose coming out of the thermostat, I will have to modify the thermostat housing to get the right clearance.



  4. #134
    Senior Member vwdmc16's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  sacramento

    Posts:    1,418

    My VIN:    1768

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    May 15

    Now since NOBODY (that I can find) sells M7 bolts in stainless with a Allen head, I have to drill the holes out so I can use M8 bolts. The stainless Allen head is going to be a new theme to the engine, you know because it classes it up.
    I finished tapping the five holes to M8, I had to use the 3/8 ratchet attachment at there was no space for a T handle.




    The same for drilling it out, had to use a ratchet as my drill wont fit between the engine and bumper.



    But finally bolted on with the proper stainless M8 bolts.





    For now its back to stock. If I build my new throttle linkage and new W Pipe to connect the two new bodies with the K jet plenum. I could still run the factory injection until I get my fuel rails done and wiring finished. Also this is the first time ive ever bolted my air filter down, ive never felt comfortable enough to have it not lift lift off by hand in case I needed to manually prime the injectors ( i've had too many PPR o-ring failures...).


  5. #135
    Senior Member DMC5180's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Reedsburg, WI

    Posts:    4,042

    My VIN:    5180

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Did you ever consider just one TB mounted to a Modified W-pipe with the throat opening facing level forward?
    DENNIS

    VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, EPS​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

  6. #136
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    9,605

    My VIN:    03572

    Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    May 15

    Now since NOBODY (that I can find) sells M7 bolts in stainless with a Allen head, I have to drill the holes out so I can use M8 bolts. The stainless Allen head is going to be a new theme to the engine, you know because it classes it up.
    I finished tapping the five holes to M8, I had to use the 3/8 ratchet attachment at there was no space for a T handle.
    That's what I did. You should also do that long bolt holding the "w" pipe to the throttle body.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  7. #137
    "Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Hill Country, TX

    Posts:    1,579

    My VIN:    Formerly 2329

    AWESOME.

    I was looking to find a good little throttle body that would fit on the end of the manifold like that. Check out the EFI subforum and specifically the threads on stock conversion to EFI. We've already got the injector/rail/hold down bracket figured out. Your throttle body mod is what I was trying to do for "stage II EFI"; eliminate the stock air intake. Speaking of which, how do you plan to plumb air to these guys? Also, being dual, how do you plan on joining their linkages?

    And here's a random thought.... I haven't looked at my stock intake manifold to confirm, but what if you reversed it 180* and put the throttle bodies towards the firewall? I *think* it is symmetrical and since you will no longer have the fuel distributor or air intake they won't get in the way. The dizzy may be in the way come to think of it.... just brainstorming here.

    I've been trying to see if I could find a "fly by wire" throttle body so that there would be no need for linkages between the two. I don't know what kind of electronics they use and then there would be a new gas peddle required... but how cool would that be?
    Last edited by Spittybug; 09-03-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

  8. #138
    Senior Member vwdmc16's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  sacramento

    Posts:    1,418

    My VIN:    1768

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    I always thought while not necessary and more complicated two TB's would look better, I have a few options to connect them together and im thinking ill go with a new throttle shaft mounted below the bodies with individual connecting rods to each arm, these will use stock Volvo ball and socket joints to help maintain the OEM look. Owen, that is another idea to flip the manifold 180' Ive not really thought of doing that as there would be a void where the stock w pipe was and it might look strange, a simple aluminum cover could solve that like the throttle spool icing recall shield does. My next fabrication hurdle will be the fuel rail mounting, maybe Ill take some ideas from your design.

    As for Throttle by wire, I still have not come across any TB that is very small with the built in motor and gear drive. This is conversion will have a period theme to it so electronic throttles would look out of place.
    Last edited by vwdmc16; 09-03-2012 at 08:43 PM.

  9. #139
    Senior Member vwdmc16's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  sacramento

    Posts:    1,418

    My VIN:    1768

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    June 8

    New package from DMCH:




    Lots of goodies!: oil pan and timing cover gaskets, new keyless entry system, fuel, oil and air filter, o rings, clips for the lower engine cover and fuel hoses.



    Jon came over again to help with electrical work.



    He fixed more wires, sorted out alot of relays that were out of proper order, and wired in my dome light delay module.




    Meanwhile I installed some other new parts like the fuel and air filter, I was hoping that would help cure my off idle stumble I get when leaving stop lights sometimes, but alas it didnt help.





    With my seats out I could repair the seat rails that were very difficult to adjust. After a good cleaning I punched out 4 broken, stripped or bent mounting studs and welded in new M8 bolts. then a new paint job and greasing.







    Test fit, all good!




    And a picture of a duck that wandered in my garage.


  10. #140
    Senior Member Rhsxo's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    191

    My VIN:    3045

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    And a picture of a duck that wandered in my garage.

    That was random. lol

    Looks like even more progress on an already outstanding car. Keep it up!
    Does it have a flux capacitor?
    Does it run on 1.21 Giggawatts?
    Have you been chased by terrorist?

    No but I have been chased by ladies because it’s a chick magnet!

Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •