FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What to use on exterior black trim?

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    Be very careful using any "back to black" type product on surfaces you ever intend to paint. Most of them make it almost impossible for paint to stick properly until the chemicals fully release from the material - and that takes a long time. Some paint shops even ask if a product like that has been used in the past and will not touch it if so. That being said, the original "Back to Black" (UV activated) has worked wonders in giving the bumpers and trim a deep/rich black look. It also looks great on other black surfaces on the car and lasts a long time. At least that has been my experience.
    I haven't found the OG Back to Black, any suggestions for a close runner-up?

I'm only planning to paint the louvre, so I'll steer clear of that....

As I think more about it, is it a better idea to paint the pieces w/SEM trim black as needed and forego any dressing-type products? Is that the preferred method of keeping the black pieces nice & black?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    These are the pieces I'm talking about, nothing has been painted and everything is in good shape. I'm expecting to re-apply periodically, just want to keep the black stuff looking nice.

Do you have a recommendation for what to use?

Thanks!
    Any good rubber dressing should suffice. Some will last longer than others but stay away from the stuff that dries glossy and last for weeks. (I think Armor All makes it) It does last but it also gets crusty and cakes up with repeated use. The stuff I use is not available commercially but it's not hard to come by. Most all reconditioning supply dealers sell their own brand of dressing, usually silicone and solvent based with a blue color and a sweet smell to it. If you intend on keeping the rubber weather seals dressed make sure it will not affect the rubber long term....some dressings can actually accelerate rubber breakdown.

As I think more about it, is it a better idea to paint the pieces w/SEM trim black as needed and forego any dressing-type products? Is that the preferred method of keeping the black pieces nice & black?
    I would only paint as a last resort. Once it's painted you can't go back. If your pieces are in good shape then just keep them dressed every so often.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-09-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Banned

My VIN:    1798

On my car, I only ever use Diversey Inc.'s Deep Gloss Stainless Steel Maintainer on the black plastic exterior trim pieces. I know, sounds weird, but it does the trick for me. Spray a liberal amount onto a paper towel and apply heavily to the trim pieces. Allow to somewhat dry, and then wipe off excess with a fresh paper towel. Done. I do it every time I wipe down the stainless with the same product, which is probably once a week when driving.

http://www.diverseynacatalog.com/Cat...spx?family=156

It leaves a nice natural black appearance (not overly dark) and an ever so slight glossy finish (but nothing extreme).

I'd avoid any of the silicone based products, as even though they'll make the pieces look nice and black (and IMHO, almost artificially black) for a short while, they'll also cause significantly faster dry out / fade unless you're constantly reapplying them.

Keep it simple, keep it cheap - that's my motto
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 02-09-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    On my car, I only ever use Diversey Inc.'s Deep Gloss Stainless Steel Maintainer on the black plastic exterior trim pieces. I know, sounds weird, but it does the trick for me. Spray a liberal amount onto a paper towel and apply heavily to the trim pieces. Allow to somewhat dry, and then wipe off excess with a fresh paper towel. Done. I do it every time I wipe down the stainless with the same product, which is probably once a week when driving.

http://www.diverseynacatalog.com/Cat...spx?family=156

It leaves a nice natural black appearance (not overly dark) and an ever so slight glossy finish (but nothing extreme).

I'd avoid any of the silicone based products, as even thought they'll make the pieces look nice and black (and IMHO, almost artificially black) for a short while, they'll also cause significantly faster dry out / fade unless you're constantly reapplying them.

Keep it simple, keep it cheap - that's my motto

Thanks Josh....any chance I'd still be able to paint after using this (if I ever want/needed to?)

Makes me also want to ask: what you use on your door seals?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you can find it, Black Again is the stuff to use. It lasts and will make all of the exterior black plastic and rubber surfaces look like new. From the rear sunshade to the grills behind the doors, the side rub rail, and the bumpers. The rear view mirrors, the door sills, everywhere. Yes, if you do intend to paint any of this it is difficult to remove so you do not contaminate the paint.
    David Teitelbaum

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Thanks Josh....any chance I'd still be able to paint after using this (if I ever want/needed to?)

Makes me also want to ask: what you use on your door seals?
    It's a water based product, so using it won't affect subsequent paint-ability, should you decide to go that route.

As for the door seals, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant, when I treat the vinyl with the same product, roughly twice every year. Good stuff.

http://www.303products.com/303r-aero...tant-32oz.html

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you can find it, Black Again is the stuff to use. It lasts and will make all of the exterior black plastic and rubber surfaces look like new. From the rear sunshade to the grills behind the doors, the side rub rail, and the bumpers. The rear view mirrors, the door sills, everywhere. Yes, if you do intend to paint any of this it is difficult to remove so you do not contaminate the paint.
    Oops! I said "Back to Black" in an earlier post as what I use - I meant to say "Black Again" as David just mentioned above. Long day. "Black Again" is the UV activated product - It works great and last a good long while.
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

These are the pieces I'm talking about, nothing has been painted and everything is in good shape. I'm expecting to re-apply periodically, just want to keep the black stuff looking nice.
    Meguire's Natural Shine is good. Lasts about a year between reapplications and a little goes a long way.
    Black Again is OK, too.
    No Armor All!!

Try to keep the application as thin, yet even, as you can. Wipe off any excess. Twice. Too shiny otherwise. Especially on the fascias. Keep it off the SS.

Good for the side vents, the louver/sunshade, the lower rocker panels, the spoiler, the lower quarter panel trim behind the rear wheels and the side rub strips. Also good for the unpainted (original black) sections of the fascias. A bit time-consuming to get the excess out from the corners of the embossed lettering in the rear fascia. But worth it.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10722

I recently painted my mirrors, door vents, and license plate bezel with SEM trim black and they look fantastic! Use a scouring pad that they sell at most automotive paint stores to scuff up the plastic (but lightly so as not to remove the texture), then apply adhesion promotor and SEM trim black. I'm doing the engine cover, sunshade, rubber bumper strips, and windshield trim next. The bumpers and grill are not suppose to be painted as I understand.

Andy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast