FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seeking opinions about roof box/roof assembly replacement

My VIN:    3957

Seeking opinions about roof box/roof assembly replacement

I'm a new owner (3957) and I'm having a fair amount of cosmetic work in addition to doing an EV conversion (Tesla Model S small drive unit, 60-85 kwhr depending on what can fit).

I live in a rust prone environment (Maui, HI, which has high humidity, high rainfall, and I'm close to the shore). I plan to store the car in the garage with a dehumidifier, but naturally when driving the car will be subjected to salt air.

I'm considering having the roof box replaced with a stainless one. There seem to be two options:

1. the Delorean go product: https://www.deloreango.com/us/stainless-roof-box.html

2. Delorean Industries: https://deloreanindustries.com/1-sta...ly-base-gen-3/

I have heard that the DMCH part is the same as the Delorean Go.

If money and time were no obstacle, sure, why not replace any interior part with a stainless equivalent in my environment since I want to minimize rust. However, money and time are always obstacles. So, I'd be interested in any experience anyone has in this area. My understanding is that this is one of the most involved repairs out there. In fact, Delorean Industries removes the windscreen to do it, and often that implies getting a new windscreen because the windscreen often breaks in the removal process.

I really have no evidence the roof box of 3957 is in bad shape, but we also haven't looked carefully. On the other hand, I understand that pretty much every Delorean in almost every climate will have significant rusting here. Is that correct?

How much should I care about rust here? I guess the risk is that the doors become inoperable or unsafe? How frequently does that happen?

Like many of you, owning a Delorean has been a lifelong dream of mine. I don't plan to ever sell it. Additionally, getting serious repair will be a major pain for me (likely involving shipping the car to the mainland). So, that's the motivation to just do the work now while the car is on the mainland. On the other hand, this restoration is expensive (I think the ballpark might be 10-14k all told depending on what it looks like whey they open up), so if I'm going to spend that much, the additional cost of sending it back across the ocean isn't a huge part (maybe 2k to transport the car back to a Delorean specialty shop that could do the job). It's not an easy choice.

Finally, if anyone has had this job done at DMC Florida or Delorean Industries and has any guidance, I would welcome it. So far, I've had good experiences with both and have been a customer of both, but I would welcome any feedback from the community.

I’d start with a thorough inspection of the roof box.

Open the access cover and use a boroscope to get an idea of what’s going on inside the box (it tends to rust from inside- out). Look for signs of rust on the outside, especially near the door hinges. On the back of the box near the rear window, look for signs of it separating from the fiberglass body.

Inside of the box look ok? Outside look ok? No signs of separation from fiberglass body? Apply an anti-rust application in the box, bolt down the box and call it good.

Also, DPI is the way to go. Everything they do is top notch, and a lot of their stuff is made in the USA.
    Last edited by CFI; 06-11-2022 at 10:11 AM.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    I’d start with a thorough inspection of the roof box.

Open the access cover and use a boroscope to get an idea of what’s going on inside the box (it tends to rust from inside- out). Look for signs of rust on the outside, especially near the door hinges. On the back of the box near the rear window, look for signs of it separating from the fiberglass body.

Inside of the box look ok? Outside look ok? No signs of separation from fiberglass body? Apply an anti-rust application in the box, bolt down the box and call it good.

Also, DPI is the way to go. Everything they do is top notch, and a lot of their stuff is made in the USA.
    All of our products sir! If it carries our branding, we manufacture it in the United States exclusively from responsibly sourced raw materials. This is why during these difficult supplier chain times, other vendors have been OOS on virtually everything. Unfortunately other brands we carry can not be spoken for in this fashion. Our Bosch branded items most certainly do not come from Germany.

Virtually every car has some sort of roof box degradation. Hence why every car we build for sale includes a full stainless roof box system and stainless frame. Leaves nothing to question. Here is a recent "franchise" sale car where the owner was under the impression that the box wasn't an immediate concern. (posted with upset owners permission)
    franchise roof box.jpg
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    03430

As for whether or not to do it, in your case i personally would do it. Since you're in Hawaii and send the car off for repairs isn't easy... it just makes sense to do it before you take the car there if you can.

As for which product to go with, I can say that DPI's offering has excellent fitment. I have personally installed three of them on three different cars. Two of which we did with the windshield in place. The third we did with the windshield out because it needed replacement anyway. I have no experience with the other offerings.

-Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    If it carries our branding, we manufacture it in the United States exclusively from responsibly sourced raw materials.
    Good to know! I appreciate that.

I guess I need to inspect my roof box. Ignorance was bliss.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by andyo View Post
    As for whether or not to do it, in your case i personally would do it. Since you're in Hawaii and send the car off for repairs isn't easy... it just makes sense to do it before you take the car there if you can.

As for which product to go with, I can say that DPI's offering has excellent fitment. I have personally installed three of them on three different cars. Two of which we did with the windshield in place. The third we did with the windshield out because it needed replacement anyway. I have no experience with the other offerings.

-Andy
    Would you please elaborate on the issues encountered when doing this job without removing the windshield? Does it compromise the installation in any way or make it even more difficult to do? Sounds like you feel the windshield isn't really a factor but I'm just wondering what your experience was.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

-Andy
    We know of yours and Rafael's. Who was the third? We have sent out so many at this point, it's hard to say who else it could be. Thanks for the remarks on the excellent fitment!
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Would you please elaborate on the issues encountered when doing this job without removing the windshield? Does it compromise the installation in any way or make it even more difficult to do? Sounds like you feel the windshield isn't really a factor but I'm just wondering what your experience was.
    Let me just say that i’m not a vendor and don’t have the same level of experience that someone who works these cars for a living. Just helping friends out.

With that said, installing it with the windshield in place makes it a bit more tricky to remove it because you’re working very close to the glass. scraping, prying etc. so it could he easily chipped or broken if you slip, or get too aggressive. Also, Clamping the forward piece takes a little creativity, but definitely doable.

As for any installation compromise, i believe removing the windshield to install the roof ensures that the body is in a relaxed position. So i would say that if you’re roof was sagging badly, and had a improperly installed windshield (installed without supporting the roof properly for example), and then installed a roof structure, then you would have problems getting doors properly aligned.

On the other Hand, if you’re roof isn’t sagging and the windshield is properly installed to begin with, AND the roof is properly supported during the replacement process, then it will he fine.

My opinion from the handful of installs i’ve done. Who ever you hire to do the work will take the approach that they feel is right for them i would imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    11596

Let me just say that i’m not a vendor and don’t have the same level of experience that someone who works these cars for a living. Just helping friends out.

With that said, installing it with the windshield in place makes it a bit more tricky to remove it because you’re working very close to the glass. scraping, prying etc. so it could he easily chipped or broken if you slip, or get too aggressive. Also, Clamping the forward piece takes a little creativity, but definitely doable.

As for any installation compromise, i believe removing the windshield to install the roof ensures that the body is in a relaxed position. So i would say that if you’re roof was sagging badly, and had a improperly installed windshield (installed without supporting the roof properly for example), and then installed a roof structure, then you would have problems getting doors properly aligned.

On the other Hand, if you’re roof isn’t sagging and the windshield is properly installed to begin with, AND the roof is properly supported during the replacement process, then it will he fine.

My opinion from the handful of installs i’ve done. Who ever you hire to do the work will take the approach that they feel is right for them i would imagine.

Thanks for the details. I don't need a roofbox but always trying to learn more for when that fateful day may finally come. I already have a new windshield and it was installed with the roof supported/doors closed so I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull it out again.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    We know of yours and Rafael's. Who was the third? We have sent out so many at this point, it's hard to say who else it could be. Thanks for the remarks on the excellent fitment!
    The third one was a friend of Rafaels from Tampa.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast