FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1-2 shift too soft

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It don't sound like the the engine is doing what the tach says it is, to me. Tach shows changes to late/slow, maybe??

Is the two quick bump sounds at 7-8 seconds the road/shift shutter/?

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    It don't sound like the the engine is doing what the tach says it is, to me. Tach shows changes to late/slow, maybe??

Is the two quick bump sounds at 7-8 seconds the road/shift shutter/?
    The bang you hear around 6-7 seconds is 1st gear finally catching. It slips before catching hard.

And tach is slightly behind as it runs via CAN Bus.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

So I?ve noticed the 1-2 slip isn?t there when cold.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Few things.
    You can not tell if a filter needs to be replaced by looking at it. The part that usually clogs up is hidden under the clamshells.

I just replaced my shift computer with a rebuilt one. The rebuilt one was faulty pushing my car into 2nd at times with no warning and other times it would not shift out of 1st and/or second. My second shift computer works flawlessly. Point is a rebuilt computer can malfunction too.

Make yourself some shift lights and see what the computer is telling the solenoids to do. It will help you zero in on the issue.

Next time you have the pan off, inspect the wiring at the solenoid plug to the solenoids themselves just to make sure they are not visibly damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    So I?ve noticed the 1-2 slip isn?t there when cold.
    That is a textbook symptom of a clogged filter. Not saying it is but if you have an oe filter, it's a good place to start.
    Last edited by Michael; 03-18-2023 at 12:19 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Few things.
    You can not tell if a filter needs to be replaced by looking at it. The part that usually clogs up is hidden under the clamshells.

I just replaced my shift computer with a rebuilt one. The rebuilt one was faulty pushing my car into 2nd at times with no warning and other times it would not shift out of 1st and/or second. My second shift computer works flawlessly. Point is a rebuilt computer can malfunction too.

Make yourself some shift lights and see what the computer is telling the solenoids to do. It will help you zero in on the issue.

Next time you have the pan off, inspect the wiring at the solenoid plug to the solenoids themselves just to make sure they are not visibly damaged.

That is a textbook symptom of a clogged filter. Not saying it is but if you have an oe filter, it's a good place to start.
    Had the pan off a few days ago. Wires looked good and I cut open the old filter and it was mostly clean. I replaced it with one of your filters anyways.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you notice that the shifts improve once it warms up the possible causes include;
    Low fluid
    Wrong fluid
    Low line pressure
    Clogged filter
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you notice that the shifts improve once it warms up the possible causes include;
    Low fluid
    Wrong fluid
    Low line pressure
    Clogged filter
    Opposite. Shift gets worse as it heats up.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

At the end of the day, if your fluid is fresh and filter is clean and the shifting is fine but slipping or "flare shifting", then I would be expecting trans a rebuild in your near future.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    At the end of the day, if your fluid is fresh and filter is clean and the shifting is fine but slipping or "flare shifting", then I would be expecting trans a rebuild in your near future.
    Yeah, I'm starting to think that may be the case. I have been driving it rather hard to get the 3.0 dialed in. I'll probably keep going until I lose it completely.

Are these things really a pain to overhaul? I've rebuilt an GM type transmission before, but never a transaxle.

Also, are there any special tools I should start looking for?

My VIN:    03500

Forgive me if im off base but some of the symptoms are of a bad converter.
    If you're going to invest in a rebuild I would include a new converter.

Dave B.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast