FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 36 of 90 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

I've been soaking the screws on the distributor for a month or so. The screws were still stuck solid. I had to carefully heat the distributor body then use a hand impact. It was a slow painful process. The screws must be hardened steel because they didn't just snap off (much to my surprise).
    I need to do some research to figure out how to get this take apart fully so I can check and rebuild all parts of it. I'm not sure if the vacuum advance can be safely replated.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

I messaged Mike from DMW and shared my concerns about sending these parts out. I asked if I could take pictures of what I was sending out and he could take pictures of my parts after having them plated so I know that everything is coming back. He said he would. These are the pictures I sent him along with a couple others via email.
    I grabbed random boxes to box thing up and didn't put much though into what parts went in which box.
    If I ever did this again I would use boxes with writing on the, I would have distributed the weight more evenly amongst the boxes, and I wish I would have put the hard to impossible part in one box so I could put more insurance on that one box.
    It cost $165 to ship thr four boxes priority with $200 insurance on each box. Everything is so expensive nowadays. I really wish I would have found a local plating place that I could trust. It seems foolish to ship these parts half way across the US to have them plated.

We recieved the parts to make our own LCA supports/caster adjusters.

I looked into making the LCA supports like the ones DCI makes. I have pretty much a complete machine shop. Honestly, I couldn?t justify the work. You would have the tap for the future, but it probably wouldn?t be that sharp after tapping all that stainless. I really don?t understand why he doesn?t charge more.

I applaud you for doing it yourself though.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I looked into making the LCA supports like the ones DCI makes. I have pretty much a complete machine shop. Honestly, I couldn?t justify the work. You would have the tap for the future, but it probably wouldn?t be that sharp after tapping all that stainless. I really don?t understand why he doesn?t charge more.

I applaud you for doing it yourself though.
    The parts can all be bought from Speedway. The only thing that needs to be fabricated are some spacers made from aluminum tubing.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    It cost $165 to ship the four boxes priority with $200 insurance on each box.
    It would have been more cost effective to use USPS flat rate boxes. The large size boxes cost $22.80 to ship anywhere in the US, and can be loaded up to 70 lbs. $100 of insurance is also included. For $200 of insurance you'd add $4.30 per box.

You probably could have fit everything in three boxes and it would have cost around $82. Four boxes would have been $109.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    It would have been more cost effective to use USPS flat rate boxes. The large size boxes cost $22.80 to ship anywhere in the US, and can be loaded up to 70 lbs. $100 of insurance is also included. For $200 of insurance you'd add $4.30 per box.

You probably could have fit everything in three boxes and it would have cost around $82. Four boxes would have been $109.
    +1

The flat rate boxes almost always cost less then your own box shipped priority. Only found mailing to my state your own box cost less then the flat rate.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    +1

The flat rate boxes almost always cost less then your own box shipped priority. Only found mailing to my state your own box cost less then the flat rate.
    Similar experience here. Shipping anything further away than a couple of hundred miles always seems to be cheaper if it goes flat rate. The small, medium and large boxes are free at the post office too which is also nice. USPS has a lot of other free boxes you can order online in various shapes and sizes.

Regional rate boxes were also a good way to save but USPS got rid of those a few months ago, unfortunately.

Interesting note on the small flat rate box... It also has a maximum weight of 70lbs. But due to the small volume, it's physically impossible to exceed the weight limit even if you packed it with the most dense element on earth.

My VIN:    11596

I like that the boxes are free. I always have three or four of every size in a closet at home so I can pack stuff up whenever I feel like it.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Similar experience here. Shipping anything further away than a couple of hundred miles always seems to be cheaper if it goes flat rate. The small, medium and large boxes are free at the post office too which is also nice. USPS has a lot of other free boxes you can order online in various shapes and sizes.

Regional rate boxes were also a good way to save but USPS got rid of those a few months ago, unfortunately.

Interesting note on the small flat rate box... It also has a maximum weight of 70lbs. But due to the small volume, it's physically impossible to exceed the weight limit even if you packed it with the most dense element on earth.
    Yeah that is exactly what I found out when I was at the post office. Time is money so I just sent it. Next time I'll know better.

Page 36 of 90 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 86 ... LastLast