Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner

Anyone ever try it? Results?
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Yes, I have tried it. Below is a thread regarding BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner.
    If you want to read only my comments then go to post number 51 and 54.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...m-cleaner.html

Below is my post number 51.
    So I bought the BG 44K part no. 208 and I bought the BG Fuel System Drier part no. 280 because the two containers came as a kit.
    I got the kit at Stadium Nissan of Seattle for $29.95.

I followed the directions on the BG 44K can and does it feel any different after I went through a tank? No. Not really. But, I hope it helps my Bosch K Jetronic mechanical fuel injection system on my 1981 DeLorean since it only gets driven a few days a week.

I only buy my gas at Chevron, 76, Shell or Texaco and no where else. I believe buying good gas very likely helps keep deposits out of my mechanical fuel injectors.

CMONNETT thanks for providing the link since it has a search feature that allowed me to find BG 44K locally as I have never heard of the stuff.
    http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php

Below is my post number 54.
    Oh, crap! You guys are right. You really need to change the engine oil immediately after burning through a can of that BG 44K in your tank.
    Suddenly my engine is eating a lot more oil than usual and I had to add a quart after 500 miles. This is not normal for my ’81 DeLorean with a V6 and the Bosch mechanical fuel injection. In a typical oil and filter change I add about 7.2 quarts so going through a quart in 500 miles is pretty significant to me.

My engine doesn’t seem to run any different so I assume it was worth it. May 1st is usually when I change my oil anyway We shall see if the oil level stays at a more normal level after the oil/filter change.
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

We definitely need some more info on what transpired between "OK, I'll try this product" and "OH CRAP NOW I'M BURNING A TON OF OIL!"

I checked the thread but without reading the whole thing start to finish I didn't see this info.

I've been wondering about products like this and iso-Heet for a while now so this seems like as good a place as any to get a discussion started. They are supposed to help remove the water from your fuel system (water is introduced as a byproduct of the gasohol we are forced to use), but will they damage anything in the process?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

I can only speculate what any fuel system cleaner does to a internal combustion engine. They don’t appear to damage rubber components in a fuel system or at least not like alcohol will. And yeah I hate it when people are very vague in these public car forums. I need details.
    In my first post on Pelican Parts I already used one tank of gas with the BG 44K additive and felt no difference than before. In my second post (four days later) suddenly my engine ate way more oil than usual. I don’t really understand why my engine went though oil a hell of a lot quicker. Other people had similar results.

It is recommended to change the oil soon after. And I believe it. The BG 44K does such a good job of cleaning everything out it had to have gotten past the piston rings and mix into the oil in the crank case.
    I changed my oil and filter several days later and everything is normal after the experiment with the BG 44K.

On average once a year I buy any fuel additive at the auto parts store and try it out. The BG 44K is more than twice as expensive so therefore it could be way more concentrated than the regular stuff and it does a thorough cleaning on engine fuel systems that needed to be cleaned anyway.
    I used it only that one time.
    Anyone else wanna try it and post your results here?
    Mark Vanyo

I tried it the other day, drove around for a bit then parked the car. I just got back from a drive a few minutes ago and it seems to run about the same. At first, there was a significant loss of 'grunt' in every gear, then suddenly after about 5 minutes everything went back to normal. I'll be driving it more this weekend so we'll see....

Update: The only significant effects I have noticed so far is that the car feels considerably more sluggish at the low end particularly before the car is warmed up and that there is less of a gassy smell from the exhaust and slightly better fuel economy. Now I adjusted the fuel mixture around the time I put the BG44K in, so I think that was the major player there. Therefore, no significant effect, so far.
    I'm still on the same tank of fuel with the BG44k. I will run it near empty, then put in some 91octane and see what happens.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by outatym2001 View Post
    I can only speculate what any fuel system cleaner does to a internal combustion engine. They don’t appear to damage rubber components in a fuel system or at least not like alcohol will. And yeah I hate it when people are very vague in these public car forums. I need details.
    In my first post on Pelican Parts I already used one tank of gas with the BG 44K additive and felt no difference than before. In my second post (four days later) suddenly my engine ate way more oil than usual. I don’t really understand why my engine went though oil a hell of a lot quicker. Other people had similar results.

It is recommended to change the oil soon after. And I believe it. The BG 44K does such a good job of cleaning everything out it had to have gotten past the piston rings and mix into the oil in the crank case.
    I changed my oil and filter several days later and everything is normal after the experiment with the BG 44K.

On average once a year I buy any fuel additive at the auto parts store and try it out. The BG 44K is more than twice as expensive so therefore it could be way more concentrated than the regular stuff and it does a thorough cleaning on engine fuel systems that needed to be cleaned anyway.
    I used it only that one time.
    Anyone else wanna try it and post your results here?
    This is really interesting. I wonder what it does that could cause such an increase in blow-by in the pistons. Maybe its more effective on an engine with a better PCV system.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The only fuel additive that I can recommend is one that I have personally used. It is called Techron and comes in a black plastic bottle. You use it with a full tank of gas and run it to empty. The car will run with a little less power and a little rougher till you refill the tank. It does work with mildly dirty injectors. I use it no more than once a year, usually when I see the mileage start to go down. it works in just about any fuel injected car, not just Deloreans. If you suspect a problem in your fuel system the first thing to check is the tank. Pull the pump and see if there is any dirt or water in the tank. Modern fuel contains cleaners and additives. If you use the car regularly you should not need to use any additional additives unless the car is not running well. Don't waste money on any "Magic in a Bottle". Most of the junk sold is useless.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    This is really interesting. I wonder what it does that could cause such an increase in blow-by in the pistons. Maybe its more effective on an engine with a better PCV system.

Update: I do not calculate my fuel consumption, but it does seem to be better. But that could also be because the fuel mixture was adjusted around the same time I used BG44K.

Hey Pezzonovante88 (oh boy that's a mouthful).
    How is your oil level doing? I noticed a big change in the oil consumption from my D's engine and I'm glad I already planned on changing out the oil about 500 miles after adding the BG 44K.
    Mark Vanyo