FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bob Brandy's fullsize windows

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

Bob Brandy's fullsize windows

Hi lads,

I've tried before (I think on the old DMCtalk) to try and get some proper pictures of the custom windows Bob put in his car. This is the best I found so far, but still not great.

Does anyone have details on this conversion? I've heard conflicting stories - some say they are electric and go all the way down, then I heard elsewhere they are manual sliding windows which slide to the rear?

Thanks,
    John

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I have no direct knowledge of that conversion, but I don't think you can drop the glass.

While it looks like its possible to get a full sized piece of glass into the lower half of the doors mass, it would first require heroic reworking of the door structure to do it, but thats not the deal killer as I see it.

If you think back to physics class you will recall that the amount of force a lever transfers depends not just on the weight pushing down on it, but how far that weight is from the fulcrum (pivot). If you take that already heavy piece of glass and then move it another 2' or so farther out from the hinges (when the door is open) you probably nearly double its weight, in terms of force on the torsion bar. That is, with the window down the door would feel significantly heavier than if it was up.

If you tried to balance the torsion bar to compensate for the window in its down position, it would break, but even if it didn't - if you opened the door with the window up it would shoot up like a rocket.

Our drop glass is much smaller overall, and constitutes less of a shift in weight.

That would leave you two options then, either safety interlocks that would prevent the door from being opened unless the window was mostly closed, or installing some kind of hydraulic door lift.

I'm aware of Proto 1 and one other car having windows that slide open, but I have not heard of anyone getting drop glass to work.

Banned

They are electrically operated, and they do indeed go all the way down:
    BrandysWindows1.jpg BrandysWindows2.jpg

Bob reports that JZD himself was very approving of them at DCS'00.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207; 08-11-2011 at 11:31 AM.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Ahh - cool, not full sized glass.

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Picture taken right after a failure with the CO2 system...
    Attached Images
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

Hi Ed,

Thanks a mil for that great pic! I'd love to see this someday, or even a video of the window going up and down.

Thanks again,
    John

Banned

Has anybody tried the radical step of contacting Bob or Ryan directly? They're members of the Delorean Midwest club. I believe Bob worked with Ken Koncelik on DCS'09. Tiffany may also have contact info.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Cool Delorean Full Size Windows

We are working on making kits available for the drivers door since this is the window that most drivers need to fully open.

There is NO ALTERATION of the door, the crash bar or other components. The full size window tracks bolt to the top of the door and the crash bar in the door. You do have to drill holes and insert threaded rivets so that everything bolts together.

You can also resinstall the stock window at a later time since none of these components are used or altered. (though once you drive your D with the window all the way down and be able to wave to people and go through a drive through.. )

We are also working on an installation video on how to install the full size window.

Hi Bob,

Cool, sounds great - I'd be interested in a set for my 4 seater.

When you get a chance I'd love to see a video of the window going up and down and maybe a video from the inside while the car is driving with the windows down.

Well done on the conversion, it looks great and is one of those things I think DMC should have done from the beginning - it would seem to me to make the car much more practical.

Thanks!
    John
    Last edited by dmcjohn; 08-28-2011 at 03:46 PM.

My VIN:    3297

I could have sworn in a documentary I saw about Delorean they had one parked on a street and asking strangers to be focus-group-esque testers. Rating the looks and functionality and at what price point they would or would not buy one. That model looked to have sliding windows, not the tiny roll down windows.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast