FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How concerned should I be?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

How concerned should I be?

I just picked up a new windshield from DMCFL (awesome place by the way). I'm getting ready to install it and pull the header off to see this. I guess my question is does this look too far gone enough that I need to consider a roof structure replacement? I'd rather get that done with the old broken windshield installed than a new one and have to worry about that. The passenger side is much worse than the driver's side, it is close to being rusted almost all the way through.

roof01.jpg
    -----Dan B.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

The real question is what your roof box looks like. Have you had the T-panel off?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

I will be pulling the T panel tonight for further inspection, last night after I found this I got irritated and sat down with a beer instead of digging deeper. I did have it off previously but it has been many, many years since. When I did remove it, I bolted down the rear roof section, opened the small access panel and painted in there just to be "safe" along with applying some silicone in certain areas I thought needed it. Back then, all was well with no rust, I just never had the front header off to see what was lurking.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

How concerned should i be?

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I just picked up a new windshield from DMCFL (awesome place by the way). I'm getting ready to install it and pull the header off to see this. I guess my question is does this look too far gone enough that I need to consider a roof structure replacement? I'd rather get that done with the old broken windshield installed than a new one and have to worry about that. The passenger side is much worse than the driver's side, it is close to being rusted almost all the way through.

roof01.jpg
    How concerned should I be? ANSWER...VERY CONCERNED AS THE BOX SECTION SUPPORTING YOUR DOORS IS ALMOST CERTAINLY AS BAD OR WORSE! The roof tends to rot out from the bottom up as water accumulates in the lower areas and then rust creeps upward from there. We are just finishing replacing a box section on a car where the front and rear supports were easily salvagable. First inspect the sides and bottom areas by the torsion bars. Then remove the T panel and inspect the rest of the box and rear support.

This is a big job that needs to be done by an experienced technician. Salvaging the box usually means removing it and thoroughly media blasting and refinishing, or replacing, it and treating the front and rear supports "in situ". Your entire roof is likely beyond repair IMHO.

The stainless replacement roof currently available is nice but is shaped differently than the original and requires a FEW EXTRA DAYS OF LABOR to properly refit and align the doors to the body. This is a very big job. If you can find a clean used roof and properly refinish and rustproof it before installing you'll be ahead of the game. This is also a lot of work but much easier then the stainless alternative.

I think every owner should consider having his/her T roof removed and the support structure inspected by an experienced eye at some point as this problem is increasingly common. Start by checking the areas around the torsion bars with a flashlight and if anything more than superficial rust is observed its time to pull the T panel for a closer inspection. I think you should hope for the best but prepare for the worst at this point.
    Rob

Thanks Rob. The cold hard truth sucks but I can at least plan ahead prior to windshield installation. My doors and everything line up perfectly but it's looking like it is only a matter of time. I was checking out the stainless option yesterday as that is the only available solution unless, like you mentioned - I can find a good used roof section. I'll take a look at the rest of the box in about an hour when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    How concerned should I be? ANSWER...VERY CONCERNED AS THE BOX SECTION SUPPORTING YOUR DOORS IS ALMOST CERTAINLY AS BAD OR WORSE! The roof tends to rot out from the bottom up as water accumulates in the lower areas and then rust creeps upward from there. We are just finishing replacing a box section on a car where the front and rear supports were easily salvagable. First inspect the sides and bottom areas by the torsion bars. Then remove the T panel and inspect the rest of the box and rear support.

This is a big job that needs to be done by an experienced technician. Salvaging the box usually means removing it and thoroughly media blasting and refinishing, or replacing, it and treating the front and rear supports "in situ". Your entire roof is likely beyond repair IMHO.

The stainless replacement roof currently available is nice but is shaped differently than the original and requires a FEW EXTRA DAYS OF LABOR to properly refit and align the doors to the body. This is a very big job. If you can find a clean used roof and properly refinish and rustproof it before installing you'll be ahead of the game. This is also a lot of work but much easier then the stainless alternative.

I think every owner should consider having his/her T roof removed and the support structure inspected by an experienced eye at some point as this problem is increasingly common. Start by checking the areas around the torsion bars with a flashlight and if anything more than superficial rust is observed its time to pull the T panel for a closer inspection. I think you should hope for the best but prepare for the worst at this point.
    Rob
    -----Dan B.

Further investigation:

roof02.jpgroof03.jpgroof04.jpgroof05.jpgroof06.jpgroof07.jpg

Thoughts? Recommendations?
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Further investigation:

roof02.jpgroof03.jpgroof04.jpgroof05.jpgroof06.jpgroof07.jpg

Thoughts? Recommendations?
    You need to rip all the add on caulking below the Tbars and start poking around the sides as the pictures are not good/clear there. Also take off the top harness access plate and peer inside the roof with a flexlight. You'll need to pull out the harness connectors to see the bottom plate. I don't think it'll be pretty in there but you gotta know the truth! I may have a box for you if needed so PM me if interested after some more sleuthing around.
    Rob

My VIN:    Early

If you have to do a roof box replacement, do it right and buy a stainless one. With stainless comes extra piece of mind IMO.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3