FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: TABs, how hard to replace?

TABs, how hard to replace?

Just wondering. What is involved in replacing these bolts?

Is this a nightmare?

Ed

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

I did mine in about an hour with a center-post lift. It may be helpful to have a second person there to push the wheel to get the new TAB's aligned & in place, but other than that it is easy and straightforward.
    Still rocking the Ducellier

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Depends on what transmission you have and if they have ever been replaced.

On a 5-speed it is pretty straight forward and not much more needs to be removed other than the wheels, dust shields and bolt.

On an auto that has never been done before at a minimum you start with the above but since the auto transmission is so fat you need to remove the tranny mounts to pivot the transmission out of the way so you can cut the head off the bolt and drive it out. When reinstalling on an auto run the bolt form the outside in.

This was obviously the Cliff's notes version but you get the idea,
    5-speed: pretty easy
    First time for an automatic: pain in the ass.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Tech info regarding TAB replacement is here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/tabolts.html

Among other nuggets to be found in this archival posting - set aside whether Toby or non-Toby type for now:
    "Loosen the bolt and rotate the head with a wrench, if the trailing arm moves up and down the bolt is bent and MUST be replaced. Be sure to torque to spec 55 FT/LBS WITH THE FULL WEIGHT OF THE CAR ON THE SUSPENSION. If the bolt is bent you may have to slice it up into little pieces to get it out. On an automatic car you will need to unbolt the rear carrier on the left to move the trailing arm to clear the trans.(Don't disconnect the rear caliper, there is enough freedom to move the trailing arm if you're careful.)"

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I've had it take half a day, if the bolts are rusted into the arms and rusted into the bushings, etc. . . .
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Depends on what transmission you have and if they have ever been replaced.

On a 5-speed it is pretty straight forward and not much more needs to be removed other than the wheels, dust shields and bolt.

On an auto that has never been done before at a minimum you start with the above but since the auto transmission is so fat you need to remove the tranny mounts to pivot the transmission out of the way so you can cut the head off the bolt and drive it out. When reinstalling on an auto run the bolt form the outside in.
    If rusted up and nasty: can take ages. Likewise if the bolt's really bent. In theory it's a case of simply undoing them and taking them out. The dust shields are the only item that need removing to gain access. You can't re-install a bolt backwards without lifting the body off (interestingly this is how the parts manual shows the bolt installed ). You don't need to remove the wheels, in fact being able to put some load on the wheel allows the weight to be taken off the TAB so it comes out and lines up really easily.

On an auto transmission, you need to undo the bush and drop the arm down so you can get at the bolt head.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There have been instances where the bolt was so bad that it had to be sliced up to get the trailing arm out and then the remaining part of the bolt had to be pressed out of the sleeve in the trailing arm. SO, it can be a couple of hour job all the way to near impossible. If the bolt won't turn at all after you loosen the nut you are in for a fight. The automatic isn't so much more trouble than the 5-speed.
    David Teitelbaum

Gents!

Thanks the bolts are now on my list to replace.

Ed

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

When you loosen up the TAB's remove and count the thickness and # of shims so you can put them back as you found them. I like to write it right on the frame with a Marker.
    David Teitelbaum

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I have a manual transmission. This 20 minute job took me two weekends because one of the bolts was rusted into the trailing arm. After cutting the bolt with a hacksaw, and removing the trailing arm, I was finally able to find someone to extract the bolt from the trailing arm.