FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning: Heninger & Associates Lower Ball Joint Failure

Warning: Heninger & Associates Lower Ball Joint Failure

This message is from Bill Robertson, which I've agreed to post on his behalf since it concerns safety:

Byrne Heninger installs Volkswagen Beetle/Bug ball joints in his lower control arms. They are high quality ball joints, Made in Germany, that a Volkswagen mechanic friend of mine is familiar with and has used himself (Uro Parts). There is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of Byrne's ball joints -- problem is their orientation. As Byrne installs them there is high likelihood they eventually break. It's not a question of "if" -- it's a question of "when" (my "when" happened this morning, fortunately at slow speed in my own neighborhood within walking distance of the service truck).

VW Beetle/Bug front suspensions are very different from our front suspensions. Control arms point towards the front of the car, not the sides of the car. VW ball joints are directional -- the ball is only captive on two sides. There is very little movement towards the captive sides, and tremendous movement towards the non-captive sides (nothing holding the ball). Orientation notches indicate, *ON A VOLKSWAGEN*, front to rear. If you install a VW ball joint sideways *ON A VOLKSWAGEN* it will eventually break.

Byrne (or more likely a mechanic on Byrne's behalf) very dutifully installs his ball joints with the orientation notches front to rear, as all Volkswagen literature tells you to do. Problem is: our control arms are 90 degrees different from a Beetle/Bug. Orientation notches need to be rotated accordingly -- side to side. As supplied by Byrne, every time our suspension goes up and down the ball joint hits the part of the socket with very little movement. Eventually metal that holds the ball captive bends enough that the ball pops out and the joint separates, folding your wheel underneath the car. Problem is exacerbated by the fact that there is no metal on the other two sides to hold the ball.

I installed my replacement ball joint "sideways" by Volkswagen standards, which is "frontwards" for our control arms. After lunch I will pop out and rotate the other one.

Again: if you are running Volkswagen ball joints, and if the orientation notches are front to rear, your ball joints are experiencing undesigned stresses and likely will eventually separate.

Orientation notches should point along the axis of the control arm.

Volkswagen control arms point towards the front of the car, so their orientation notches should point front to rear.

Our lower control arms point towards the sides of the car -- orientation notches should point side to side.

Bill.

VWBallJoint.jpgBrokenBallJoint.jpg

My VIN:    10270

My arms, which I believe were delivered slightly after Bills have the correct orientation.

It's a quick check that anybody with these LCAs should do immediately!
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    16409

Can some one post a picture of our control arm with these VW ball joints installed correctly?
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Can some one post a picture of our control arm with these VW ball joints installed correctly?
    One blindly shot cellphone flash photo coming up:
    IMAG1735.jpg

Notches pointing towards rotor = OK!
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    This message is from Bill Robertson, which I've agreed to post on his behalf since it concerns safety:
    Just a brief aside...

Why didn't Bill post this himself? Did I miss something? I might have been asleep at the wheel...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Just a brief aside...

Why didn't Bill post this himself? Did I miss something? I might have been asleep at the wheel...
    I was wondering where the captain had disappeared to as well.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

He said he is banned.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    He said he is banned.
    Why for?

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Bill is not banned, he is moderated. I only bring it up because he claimes he is banned (and knows better) Please move on from Bill Talk. Nothing to see here...
    Soundkillr was here.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

The Heninger ball joints are installed correctly in 1880. I bought these arms back in February/March.
    Attached Images
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast