FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: My hood popper

My VIN:    5470

My hood popper

So the first time I tried to fill my car with gas, it went like this.

1. Search for the hood release.
    2. Kneel down, look under the dash, find it, and pull.
    3. Get out, pull on the hood, only to find it didn't open.
    4. Pull the release again, check hood again (repeat a couple more times).
    5. Realize I need to do both movements at the same time.

I thought this was because my car was missing the hood spring that was present on every other car I've owned (which pops the hood an inch when unlatched). It wasn't until I did some research, did I understand that this is how the Delorean came.

So every time I get gas, it feels like I'm kneeling down and giving my car a big bear hug in front of all the people watching. Sometimes I snuggle the a-pillar a little for full effect.

So I decided to try to take this single-step two-handed operation, and make it in to a two-step, single-handed operation.

Phase 1 - Install a $9 Jeep spring in the hood.
    20170105_211128.jpg
    You could stop here and call it a day, but where's the fun in that?

Phase 2 - Install a $8 GM hood latch handle in the footwell, visible from the drivers seat or outside the car.
    20170110_213109.jpg

Rather than drilling in to the fiberglass, I mounted a piece of wood to the fiberglass under the carpet, and attached the handle to that.
    20170106_171845.jpg
    I actually moved the wood back a bit after this photo was taken as I found I didn't like it mounted here. The glue I used (PowerGrab) held well, but could be ripped off with a good pull too. I took out the old Delorean handle and connected the old cable to the new handle with a short piece of picture-hanging wire.
    20170110_213115.jpg

Works perfect.

Both parts were found on ebay.
    Dorman 03335 Handle
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Hood Spring

Both pieces needed slight modifications - drilling holes in the handle for mounting, and bending a tab back on the spring. It should be obvious if you have the parts in your hands. There also may be better ways you come up with.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    10644

Pretty cool. As a recommended phase 3, get DMC's hood release inner cable (just the braided piece). I did mine recently and I think there's enough extra that you could have a one piece cable run.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Actually there is a factory part to fix the problem.

http://store.delorean.com/p-9593-spr...ent-latch.aspx

It's simply a stronger spring in the latch. BUT be sure to keep it lubed or it will cut through the loop on the hood over time, and it can make the hood harder to close (but so does your extra spring).
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5470

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Actually there is a factory part to fix the problem.

http://store.delorean.com/p-9593-spr...ent-latch.aspx

It's simply a stronger spring in the latch. BUT be sure to keep it lubed or it will cut through the loop on the hood over time, and it can make the hood harder to close (but so does your extra spring).
    Hey - look at that. I thought a fix must exist already, I just couldn't find it.

As for closing the hood, I still just let it free-fall from ~6-8 inches up, and it closes on it's own, just like it did before. This spring takes very little load to compress.

Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Center the loop on the hood so it doesn't get worn. Install a back-up cable. Get the stronger spring or cut yours a little bit to shorten it and make it stronger. Lube the latch and hinges.
    David Teitelbaum