FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Heated AND Cooled Seats

My VIN:    06960

Heated AND Cooled Seats

Well, after a 2 year delay, I'm finally starting on this project. I certainly got my plate full for the next 2 months with this, additional soundproofing, windshield replacement, general maintenance, and of course the prototype new instrument cluster.

General Design -

I am proceeding with a basic design using resistive heating pads, and forced air through channels in the seat foam. Seat cover will be a non-standard DMC perforated seat cover, in all grey instead of two tone.

Seat Cover - This was a custom order I placed through DMC. I had asked if I could get a perforated seat cover in all grey instead of two tone. They said they could, but I would have to wait until their next production run. No problem I thought. At the time I placed the order (summer 2009) they anticipated their next run was going to be around September. Well this was around the time the recession was really taking a toll on folks. And wouldn't you know it, but sales of certain non-essentials, like seat covers, dropped dramatically. As a result, the next production run kept getting pushed off again and again as DMC was not selling out as quickly as they thought. All of this I completely understood and happily waited for the day when they would be made. This finally happened in late spring of 2010, and thanks to the effort of James and Dave, I was able to pick up my box of new covers at DCS '10. The box was then my companion on my drive home.

Heating pads - I've looked at a lot of different styles and designs. And as it would be, the cheapest one will work out best for me. I'm ordering pads which are 11" by 18", have criss-cross carbon elements, and have two heating settings...

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/pecafidutewa.html

One thing to note about heating elements, is you do NOT want them constantly bending. The width of these elements has the potential for that issue given the width of the seat's bucket. I plan to alleviate the issue by channeling the outer sides of the pad within the seat's side bolsters. Also note this is a solid pad, which would not allow airflow for seat cooling. I plan to modify them myself by punching small holes in the material between each carbon element. This will essentially make it a perforated pad. The only other heating pads I've found which were built to allow airflow just had 3 large slots. Not what I wanted.

Cooling - Cooling is going to occur by forced air. Fans will blow air into the seat, and it will exit through the perforated leather. I've done TONS of research on different ways to cool seats. A very effective but complicated method is by a by a water loop. I opted not to go with that route as I had already purchased the perforated covers and didn't want two additional glycol loops in the car. The forced air option leave the ability to blow in cabin air, ducted AC air, or cold-plate conditioned air. I'm going to build them initially with just cabin air, but the design will allow changing to AC or cold-plate design if I desire. They will be taking in air from the very bottom of the passenger cabin, which since cool air sinks, can actually get quite cold from a constantly running AC system trying to cool the whole cabin. So while they will not provide instant relief after getting in a hot car, they should still provide a significant increase in comfort on a long hot drive (Minneapolis to Orlando anyone?!?)

More Cooling - Instead of buying what seems to be the only kit available to cool an automotive seat, I've decided to build my own. I was not satisfied with what I saw of the kit. I've seen many people use a standard 80x80mm computer case fan, usually two per seating section, blowing strait through a cut hole in the foam and onto the passenger. I've decided to go with a completely different design. Instead I will use a 120mm blower fan, designed for high static pressure and moderate airflow.

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...383-ND/2560507

The blower style gives a significant boost in the available static pressure, allowing the air to be forced through small openings better. This is very important in an application like a seat where the weight of the occupant will be fighting against what your trying to do. There will be one fan per seating section, blowing in a duct which will direct it towards the rear/bottom, then channels/tubing will assist the air past the heaviest weighted part towards the least weighted front/top where the majority of the air will exit. For the material to be placed above the channels/tubes I'm considering this material...

This material seems like it would allow airflow even when weighted upon, due to the distributed nature of one's ass. This is the one component which I'm still not 100% on. The other option would be to find some kind of firm articulated foam.

Controls - For right now, given the lack of time and my other projects, there will be no permanent wiring/controls put in place for it. I'll leave the switches for the heater alone and wire up a generic extra switch for the cooling fans. Probably this fall, the permanent controls will be put into place. There will be one window switch per seat controlling both the heating and cooling. One arrow will be blue, to activate the cooling on high, another push will activate low, and another push again will put it on high again. To turn it off of cooling push the other arrow, the red one. The red will control the heat in the same manner, first push high, second push low, third push high again, and blue (cooling) will turn it off. They will be placed in the outermost portions of the center console where the dummy switches are.

Pictures and diagrams to follow as I start the install process.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    05457

Glad to hear this project is underway. As usual for you, a very ambitious project. You have clearly done your research, it sounds like you are well on your way! Can't wait to see the updates on this project.
    David Proehl

Got started on the whole project yesterday evening. Started by removing the passenger seat. Once last picture of a moderately used 31 year old 120k mile DeLorean seat...
    1originalseat.jpg

Setting the new covers over the seat to compare. The original covers had a distinctive blue tint to them, especially compared to the new covers. Unsure if that is due to age and wear, or if it truly had that in it. Either way, I like the new grey better and will be using it to best match up a dye to spray the rest of the interior with once the windshield is removed (two separate projects).
    2newcovertest.JPG

Started disassembly with the pack panel. I've seen cars where these panels are constantly popping off and falling out. Mine have never done that and I actually had a moderately difficult time removing it, partially due to paranoia about damaging it to the point where it would start falling out.
    3backopen.jpg

I began removal of the rear cover. A wire cutters were best at pulling out the hog rings. Just pinch them at one side and pull. They will open up and pop out on their own with minimal effort. They appear to be made of brass. After they were all removed from the rear (including the two center channels) I tried pulling the cover off only to get caught on the headrest. It would appear that each grove had 5 hog rings of their own. These were moderately difficult to remove, and I see now why they often do not get reinstalled. Doesn't mean I still wont try it on my own though...
    4headrings.jpg

Once the back cover was off, I moved on to the bottom. At this point I had to remove the rails, as they were blocking several of the hog rings. You can also see that my bottom rubber is still in great shape and undamaged unlike many cars. I'm also missing two of the clips holding on one of the side channels of the cover. If you go back to the first image you can tell its not pulled down as much on one end.
    5bottom.jpg

Once all the perimeter rings were off, I needed to remove the clips holding down the center channels. I could not find these two specific parts on DMCH's website. I'm yet unsure how I will substitute for them. This is how they attach...
    6bottomclip1.jpg 7bottomclip2.jpg

Finally, I was presented with a bare seat. The foam appears significantly more aged than I would have expected for something completely covered for 30 years. Could have something to do with the affect of heat and direct sunlight on the seat.
    8bareseat.jpg

Part of the modification work going into the heating and cooling will involve cutting some channels into the foam. I also like really soft-squishy seats, so I will also be experimenting and working with some memory foam from a mattress topper I've had in storage for a few years. The new seat covers already have *some* additional foam sewn into them. I hope to find the perfect combination of original and additional to give the seats a little extra plush-ness while still maintaining their support, comfort, and modifications necessary for climate control. I do plan to steam the original foam as well, which will bring it back to its original shape before being constrained by a cover for 30 years.

One last picture of the new cover held up to the garage lights. Every dot you see is light shining through. These will soon all work in unison to cool me and any lucky passenger down on every drive...
    9vents.jpg

I did end up ordering that vented-nylon fabric today. I will use it directly under all areas of the seat which are perforated.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

My VIN:    2964

Very nice!!! Interesting idea!!!

Now stick to the new instrument cluster, I really need one!!!!! lol
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

Got the fans in today. One perk of living in the same state as a major electronics distributor. Did some placement checks. I may just go with a single fan per seat, located on the bottom. The rear section would be fed through a flexible tube behind the two.

To get the fan to properly fit below the seat, it may be necessary to reinforce the rubber bottom pad with something much more substantial. Despite both seats being in excellent condition, I was comparing the difference between the bare seat on the garage floor, and the drivers seat still mounted in the car. The rubber pad really squishes down low, and I'm not a terribly heavy person. The seat on the garage floor did feel more comfortable from a general standpoint. So I did a little experiment with the other seat still in the car. I put a few boards underneath held up by the adjustment bar, which had the affect of completely stopping the rubber from sinking down. Seat was noticeably more firm on the bottom, but also mildly more comfortable. So it looks like I'll be doing something for reinforcement there after all.

Also did some quick tests with the memory foam I have. It's about 4 inches thick and much more squishy than I realized. I tried a piece on the middle of the bottom cushion and it didn't really make much of a difference. However I also tried it on the back piece and that really felt comfortable. So there will definately be a bit going in there. We'll see how much give the new covers have to allow it. I will also consider it going on the side bolsters for the bottom cushion, but I didn't really play around with that tonight.

Hopefully next week both the heater pads and the vented fabrics will arrive and I can get everything finalized. Could have this completely done in two weeks if all goes well.

Don't get your hopes up too quickly about the cluster. It'll still be at LEAST a year if not two before I have a sellable product there.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

My VIN:    2964

Interesting idea with the window switch for the controls! Would be nice if you can have caps with the seats laser etched on the caps!
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

Using different color LEDs one arrow will illuminate blue, and the other will illuminate red. Perhaps in a year or so when I build a custom armrest section for the center console there will be a dedicated decal identifying the switches.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Also did some quick tests with the memory foam I have. It's about 4 inches thick and much more squishy than I realized. .
    Have you ever used memory foam otherwise, i.e. a pillow or mattress? It is extremely temperature sensitive - hard a rock when cold, softens up when warm. This may not be a good thing in a car.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I am so happy you are doing this, because I have been holding off on my seat reskin project until there was an option to make this happen.

I look forward to riding on the shoulders of a giant when you finish.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    hard a rock when cold, softens up when warm. .
    Which is why I have a sample in the freezer right now. This is probably fairly low-grade stuff. I've had it compressed in a bag in the garage for over 2 years, probably 3. Been through lots of temperature extremes and still puffed back up where it was supposed to be when I opened the bag last week.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast