FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Custom made LED third brake light

My VIN:    03572

Custom made LED third brake light

I used the Corvette housing but made my own LED board to mount 106 LEDs. I had the LEDs in strings of 4 running a constant current of 30 ma per sting. But I backed it down to 20 or 25 ma per string because it was just to bright. It's been a while since I built this but here are the photos I have.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

very bright!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I used the Corvette housing but made my own LED board to mount 106 LEDs. I had the LEDs in strings of 4 running a constant current of 30 ma per sting. But I backed it down to 20 or 25 ma per string because it was just to bright. It's been a while since I built this but here are the photos I have.
    I have a corvette third break light but want to set it up to use LED's. I would be interested in a board like that to put in mine. Seen it in person at DCS12 and it looked amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxat88MPH View Post
    I have a corvette third break light but want to set it up to use LED's. I would be interested in a board like that to put in mine. Seen it in person at DCS12 and it looked amazing!
    The parts for my board probably cost $100. So I did not think I could recover my board set up charges to produce a PCB by only selling a few. It also would take a few hours to solder those components on the board. I probably spent 50 hours hand wiring my prototype board.
    Dave M vin 03572

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxat88MPH View Post
    I have that same 3rd Brake Light, it came with G4 halogens and I converted them to LEDs (pic on right).

If you're interested in these:
    They are bright enough to get the job done,
    Run cool (halogens are very hot),
    Draw much less current than the halogen versions.
    Cost between $3-$4 each (shipping extra).

You can find those LEDs on ebay, if you search for: G4 LED
    Last edited by Ozzie; 06-22-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    05141

This is a picture I took when Dave pressed the brake pedal.
    I certainly looks so bright for real.

I ordered that same Corvette brake light, and it should have LED's already. We'll see how bright that is.

John
    Attached Images

Steering with power

My VIN:    05141

The louvre is bent too much to just use double sided tape to install the 3rd brake light So I will have to drill holes which I am not fond of at all.
    So grind the shape as Dave suggested will not be possible as the lid on the bottom is quite thin and sealed with silicone.

I see every Delorean with this 3rd brake light on the top shelf of the louvre. I put it on the second shelf and does not look so bad at all. Advantages are the shelf is not as round and double sided tape could be an option. If I have to make holes, they will not be as visible, neither is the unit itself. pictures....

Another thing is that I will sand the thing and give it a coating of sem black, becasue it is very shiney.
    I was also looking to do a test, and guess what, the wires are gone. It was made by the PO and there is a little box where they depart from. (kind of a relay) can I just connect a wire from one of both stoplights?

John
    Attached Images

Steering with power

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    The louvre is bent too much to just use double sided tape to install the 3rd brake light So I will have to drill holes which I am not fond of at all.
    So grind the shape as Dave suggested will not be possible as the lid on the bottom is quite thin and sealed with silicone.

I see every Delorean with this 3rd brake light on the top shelf of the louvre. I put it on the second shelf and does not look so bad at all. Advantages are the shelf is not as round and double sided tape could be an option. If I have to make holes, they will not be as visible, neither is the unit itself. pictures....

Another thing is that I will sand the thing and give it a coating of sem black, becasue it is very shiney.
    I was also looking to do a test, and guess what, the wires are gone. It was made by the PO and there is a little box where they depart from. (kind of a relay) can I just connect a wire from one of both stoplights?

John
    That does not look like the same unit I got. Mine is a cast metal and the sanding to shape was sanding that metal where it contacts the surface. The photos Ozzie posted look like mine.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    04610

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post

John
    There's one guy in Belgium who simply stuck a third brakelight to his rearwindow (-> Philiep) so you can see it through the louvres. I don't see the point why you should stick it on top of the louvres or drill any holes in it ?

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Does anyone know if there is a legal limit to the brightness (in lumens, say) of brake lights?

I ask, because I was behind a new model Camry last night at a set of lights and it had LED brake lights so bright you couldn't look at them. Not sure if they were OEM or not, but it looked like a current model car, so I assumed they were.

and on the "light"er side:

Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast