FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installed louvre brace

My VIN:    1019

Installed louvre brace

Anyone have a picture of their installed louvre support brace? Will it require drilling holes in the louvres? Any help would be appecieated.

Which brace?

Rod

My VIN:    1019

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MTDMC View Post
    It looks like the photo.

Yes - you drill holes. Carefully. brace.jpg
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by MTDMC View Post
    Anyone have a picture of their installed louvre support brace? Will it require drilling holes in the louvres? Any help would be appecieated.
    Yes as Dave says you have to drill holes. In fact, DMCMW installed mine. Keep in mind that our cars are snowflakes and not everything fits the same on all cars. When my louver brace was installed the notch slot would not meet the bracket. Changing to different gas lifts for the louver did not help. The only solution was for Mike to carefully cut a new slot in the brace with a Dremel tool. It now fits fine and I really like the addition. I did not have to remove the original bracket, it will not catch in the slot with the new brace hooked.

Rod
    10921 Louver Brace 001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rddmc View Post
    Yes as Dave says you have to drill holes. In fact, DMCMW installed mine. Keep in mind that our cars are snowflakes and not everything fits the same on all cars. When my louver brace was installed the notch slot would not meet the bracket. Changing to different gas lifts for the louver did not help. The only solution was for Mike to carefully cut a new slot in the brace with a Dremel tool. It now fits fine and I really like the addition. I did not have to remove the original bracket, it will not catch in the slot with the new brace hooked.

Rod
    10921 Louver Brace 001.jpg
    I don't know how the yellow moving icon got attached, it was not intentional.

Rod

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by rddmc View Post
    When my louver brace was installed the notch slot would not meet the bracket.
    My brace has the same problem - the striker bar does not align to the slot (see attached picture), so I latch my engine cover using the regular stay...
    Attached Images
    Chris

My VIN:    16409

In my experiance, getting this brace to line up involves a combination of the longer struts, and proper alignment of both the lovuvers and the engine compartment cover. Of course you also have to make sure the lovuvers properly catch the engine cover. I've seen many DeLoreans where the lovuvers never properly latch up to the engine cover.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Below is a copy of what I wrote in the thread below.

Quote Originally Posted by outatym2001 View Post
    I use two Gas Charged Struts that are 18 1/8" (46 cm) from center of ball joint to center of ball joint. I need exactly that length due to I have installed the A1000021 Sun Shade Support Brace. The Engine Cover hooks onto the Sun Shade Support Brace only when the Louvres are high enough.

Sun Shade Support Brace available from all DeLorean Motor Company affiliated centers.
    http://www.deloreanmotorcenter.com/accessories.html
    Anyone ever notice...
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?46...ne-ever-notice
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    My brace has the same problem - the striker bar does not align to the slot (see attached picture), so I latch my engine cover using the regular stay...
    Use a Dremel tool and just cut a new notch into the brace. You may want to talk with Mike at DMCMW for advice, he did mine and it looks and works great. It is definitely worth the effort.

Rod

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast