FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Torsion Bar Reinforcement Panel

My VIN:    2632

Torsion Bar Reinforcement Panel

I was hoping to get confirmation that the metal roof reinforcement panel has in fact separated from the fiberglass. I don’t have anything to compare it to, but it appears to have a considerable bow in the center. There are no noises and I don’t detect any movement between the two panels when the doors are opened and closed. The doors have new gas struts and do not rise to the full open position on their own and the torsion bars appear to have been adjusted before judging by the pencil marks on the ends of them. The torsion bars are also rubbing on the door hinges as well. 2013-03-11_19-51-13_60.jpg2013-03-11_19-51-38_417.jpg2013-03-11_19-52-13_959.jpg
    Stex

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by Stex View Post
    I was hoping to get confirmation that the metal roof reinforcement panel has in fact separated from the fiberglass. I don’t have anything to compare it to, but it appears to have a considerable bow in the center. There are no noises and I don’t detect any movement between the two panels when the doors are opened and closed. The doors have new gas struts and do not rise to the full open position on their own and the torsion bars appear to have been adjusted before judging by the pencil marks on the ends of them. The torsion bars are also rubbing on the door hinges as well.
    From the photographs I can confirm that your roof section indeed has detached from the lower body part.
    This means work!

You have to loosen the torsion bars firstly.
    You also may have to remove the headliner.
    Perhaps the rear window to get sufficient space to allow press down/clamping of the detached section and re-attaching (glueing) it to its original position.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

One concern I do have is, the hex in the end of the passenger side torsion bar appears to be slightly distorted. My fear is that the bracket may not slide off the splines on the torsion bar easily. How much rotation is necessary to unload the tension on the torsion bar? Is it possible, considering the panel is lifted, that the tension could be relieved with the bracket still attached?
    Stex

Quote Originally Posted by Stex View Post
    One concern I do have is, the hex in the end of the passenger side torsion bar appears to be slightly distorted. My fear is that the bracket may not slide off the splines on the torsion bar easily. How much rotation is necessary to unload the tension on the torsion bar? Is it possible, considering the panel is lifted, that the tension could be relieved with the bracket still attached?
    Firstly, make sure you have the right Allen key.
    It's not exactly 10 mm and IIRC you have to grind it down a bit to make a good fit.
    Once you have the proper, tight fit it's time to proceed.

This is not a one man job; you will need someone to assist you (holding the lever/breaker bar in position while,you remove the bolts).
    You'll need a breaker bar with a long enough arm so you have enough leverage to control the torsion bar, once you are going to remove the two bolts on each of the brackets.

If you don't keep enough counter force on the breaker bar while trying to slide the brackets off of the spline you could easily break the rear window with the end of a bracket).
    I used my son, an converted Allen key and a breaker bar of some 2 feet in lenght.
    This was sufficient equipment to remove the bolts, bracket and tension of the torsion bar.

Re-applying tension to the torsion bar is another and almost last step in the rebuilding process.

I wish you wisdom and luck.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The Allen socket is 3/8", not metric. If it fits loosely it could be cracked. The anchor bracket slides off the splined end, you release the tension on the bar, and then the bar slides out. Mark it's position to the anchor bracket with a pencil before removing. Generally it takes about 90 degrees of rotation to release tension. There is no way to do this repair without releasing all of the power in both torsion bars. Also a good time to replace the outer door seals at the top of the doors if necessary. You use a 2 foot breaker bar AND a 5 foot piece of pipe slid over it. Use 1/2" drive stuff, 3/8" is too puny for this. If you don't have the support jig you have to remove the rear louvre. Be careful not to scratch the surface of the torsion bars or drop them or bend them.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks Dave, for your additional info.
    Over here (Europe) I didn't have inch base tools.
    So I had to "manufacture" one from an old metric Allen key.
    This did the job.
    The 2 feet breaker bar was also sufficient in my case.

Anyway, it's always good if someone else fills in the gaps in information.

And yes, afterwards I needed the jig to put the proper tension on the torsion bars.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

$.02

If there is no bad rust (or other problems) on the other side or with the roof box, I would consider a different approach.
    Remove the lift shocks, hold/support the doors opened as far possible, carefully remove the headliner to expose the location of wires and choose locations to drill for 2-4 hard bolts to pull it back down (use thin heads and large washers, the panel is relatively soft). Then adjust the tension if necessary, but there is good chance it will not be needed.

EDIT: I'd mark the hinges and remove the louvers to begin with...just not worth the hassles avoided.

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Here is an instruction on how to fix. I will be fixing mine this weekend with help from Jon and other D club members.
    I haven't removed my T panel, yet but yours looks as bad as mine.

http://home.comcast.net/~bk-pollard/...nforcement.pdf

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'm curious as to why the article calls for removing the lower engine cover???

Thanks for all of the advice/input. I was mainly concerned that the hex end of the torsion bar was slightly “mushroomed” out and that would hinder the removal of the torsion bar retaining plate. I do plan to use bolts to secure the metal reinforcement to the fiberglass as I feel it will be much more secure than gluing it back down. I spoke with Josh at DPI and feel much better about the entire process. He gave me a step by step understanding of the entire process and potential things to watch out for. Thanks again for the information!
    Stex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast