FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Cleaning Window Switches?

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Cleaning Window Switches?

I'm having a problem where I often have to press the window switches in order to make the windows go up and down. More so on the driver's side than passenger side. Would this indicate that the window switch is dirty and needs to be cleaned? If so how does one go about doing that?
    Shannon

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    I'm having a problem where I often have to press the window switches in order to make the windows go up and down. More so on the driver's side than passenger side. Would this indicate that the window switch is dirty and needs to be cleaned? If so how does one go about doing that?
    When I first got my car the window buttons worked maybe 50% of the time. I took the switch out, took it apart, and cleaned all the contacts. Some black crud had built up on the contact faces. I used an emery board to clean the surfaces. After that it worked fine. (Of course both window motors were about to die, but that was another problem.)

Taking the switches apart was not difficult but it was fiddly. There is a little spring that you need to be sure not to lose.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    I took the switch out, took it apart, and cleaned all the contacts.
    DSC00082.jpgDSC00083.jpgDSC00084.jpgDSC00085.jpgDSC00009.jpgDSC00011.jpg
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Would this indicate that the window switch is dirty and needs to be cleaned? If so how does one go about doing that?
    Confirming Jeff's advice and yes, those are symptoms of a dirty switch. As they get worse you may find that pushing harder on the switch will get the window motor to go, another sign.

A window switch teardown/cleaning is one of the simpler and more rewarding repair jobs one can do on the car.

The switches pop out and disconnect easily. While they are out clean the external spade lug connectors on them, too.

Keep track of the orientations of everything on the way out and back in.

Nice photos there, Jeff.

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Is there a way to get the window switches out without taking out the center console? I can remove the ash tray and it allows for a little bit of access to the passenger switch. How do you pop them out?
    Shannon

Is there a way to get the window switches out without taking out the center console? I can remove the ash tray and it allows for a little bit of access to the passenger switch. How do you pop them out?
    Once the ashtray is out, you should be able to get your fingers in underneath the switches. If you just press up on the bottom of the switch it should pop up and out. You'll then be able to take the connector off the bottom.
    Jeff

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

When you remove the switches you will notice there is a bump on the side and a notch in the console so they will only fit correctly one way. Do not force them back in, move the wires so they will slip back in all the way.
    David Teitelbaum