FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem After Installing New Fuel Distributor

My VIN:    10091

Club(s):   (DCH)

Problem After Installing New Fuel Distributor

Hi All,

Yianni here. As those of you at the NC event know, we finally got my car (the one on the trailer) started by changing out the fuel distributor with Jack's. Timing and CO adjustments were made and the car ran nice with Jack's distributor. I installed a new DMC distributor yesterday, and the car finally started after holding the sensor plate a half inch lower. But, it will not idle on its own. It only stays running by revving the engine. It also backfires through the sensor plate, runs very rough, and the exhaust will burn your eyes.

Could I have a bad rebuilt distributor? Or, should I be looking for other possible problems? I would appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Yianni

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

If that's all you changed, try: pull a few injectors out, put them into jars, jump the RPM relay to make the pump run, turn your CO screw clockwise until you see them spraying then back until they barely stop, set CO with a dwell meter (engine warm and all other settings at spec).

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    If that's all you changed, try: pull a few injectors out, put them into jars, jump the RPM relay to make the pump run, turn your CO screw clockwise until you see them spraying then back until they barely stop, set CO with a dwell meter (engine warm and all other settings at spec).
    Thanks Ron. I had the engine completely rebuilt with new injectors, fuel pump, and accumulator. The only major part that I had left out was my fuel distributor (which I rebuilt myself), but as we found out at the NC event, it wasn't working properly. When we installed Jack's distributor from his own running car, the injectors were spraying and car was idling perfect. Jack set the timing and CO was set with dwell meter (engine warm). After this experiment, I purchased a new distributor from DMC thinking the car would run properly. Would the CO need to be readjusted after installing the new distributor? Appreciate any help.

Quote Originally Posted by yianni View Post
    Would the CO need to be readjusted after installing the new distributor? Appreciate any help.
    Yes, always! When you change any "working" component in the fuel system, you should reset the CO, especially the FD (even if you remove it and put it right back on...When you adjust the dwell, you'll see just how touchy the adjustment is ;-) Don't forget to plug the CO hole and let it run a few seconds before taking a reading.
    Bottom line is that the new FD will have a slightly different pressure than the old one....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Yes, always! When you change any "working" component in the fuel system, you should reset the CO, especially the FD (even if you remove it and put it right back on...When you adjust the dwell, you'll see just how touchy the adjustment is ;-) Don't forget to plug the CO hole and let it run a few seconds before taking a reading.
    Bottom line is that the new FD will have a slightly different pressure than the old one....

Thank you again Ron
    I will do this task in the next two days, will post results.

My VIN:    10110

the car finally started after holding the sensor plate a half inch lower.
    Is that less than what we held it down with the other distributor?

My VIN:    05287

Thank you again Ron
    I will do this task in the next two days, will post results.
    FYI when I put mine back in it was so far out of whack that then CO readings didn't make sense -- Number were way out of whack to the point where I thought I had the wrong wire. So if its not making sense, remember where you start and give it a turn one way to see if the numbers come closer into spec, if not go back to starting point and try the other way (depending on rich or lean that you need)

Fuel Distributor

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Is that less than what we held it down with the other distributor?
    If I remember corectly it was about the same, Still working on it.

My VIN:    10110

It's just weird how easily it fired up and ran with my distributor.
    Were you able to verify the injectors are opening as soon as you touch the plate?

If I remember corectly it was about the same, Still working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It's just weird how easily it fired up and ran with my distributor.
    Were you able to verify the injectors are opening as soon as you touch the plate?
    First, thank you all for the input. I finally got the car to idle on its own. I pulled injectors out and turned mixture up until they sprayed fuel, then backed off until they stopped. I pulled the vacuum hose off from back of distributor. When I turned the key, engine fired up and stayed running. After looking a little harder, I realized that the throttle cable was getting hung and not letting the micro switch work properly. Now I'm waiting on my new dwell meter that I ordered to come in so I can fine tune it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast