FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: dwell meter setting

dwell meter setting

hi i have an 81 deloreanvin #990 last 3.. my fuel mixture is hit or miss i set the fuel pattern by backing off the mixture screw for the spray pattern it seems right but i smell gas in the oil and the oil mixture is turning grey. i have changed the oil 3 times paranoia.... people on this delorean forum speak of using a dwell meter for a final fine adjustment of fuel mixture could anyone explain how to do this and stop making bp richer..

p.s. this is regarding my 1981 delorean last 3 vin# 990
    Last edited by Ron; 05-15-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Merged Post

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    hi i have an 81 deloreanvin #990 last 3..
    Normally quote the last 5 digits. 00990 is an early 81 car where as 06990 is a late 81. it can sometimes make a difference (but probably not in this case)
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    hi am trying to set my fuel rich/lean mixture. sometimes the oil smells too gassy rich. but when i lean it out it gets too lean to start.. there is a way to use a dwell meter for a final adjustment does anyone know how to hook the meter to where and what to do after the meter is placed on the car??

thx gumby

p.s. this is regarding my 1981 delorean last 3 vin# 990
    You need to find and fix the vacuum leak first.

Dwell meter connects to the orange wire that goes to the diagnostic connector at the rear (front) of the engine on the driver side. The black lead goes to ground.

If your oil is getting gassy you probably have an injector or two that is stuck wide open or a bad fuel distributor. Before you do anything else you should pull all the injectors and see what they are doing. (i.e. aim them into jars and turn on the fuel pump). A mixture set rich enough to flood the oil is a bigger problem than just the setting. You may even have a stuck fuel distributor. Until you do the flow test you are flying blind.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

wire colors

hi the dwell meter has 3 wires what color goes where? and how do i set the fuel rich using the dwell meter as a gauge??

gumby

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Read your reply to PM???