FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 (or 10) updates/fixes every owner should perform

Jason

Top 5 (or 10) updates/fixes every owner should perform

I see a lot of different changes/fixes going on with cars throughout the forum. There are obviously some common areas that should be either updated/fixed. I am not an owner yet, but I like to mentally prepare myself. What are the top 5 updates/fixes that should be done to every D after you buy it? (I realize that depending on the PO, some updates might have been performed, or the person might have found a car that was in storage for decades with no changes) If there is already a list like this on the forum, can someone link to it for me? Thank you!

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Assuming there are no other outstanding safety issues, here's a list of what should done:

Front end sway bar and ball joints, inertia switch, and throttle cable recalls per:
    http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/index.html#SC

If manual, replace plastic clutch line with braided SS version.

If original, at least unplug the large connector on the electric lock controller. Go over mechanical door locks to make sure they are aligned and in working order before replacing lock module with new digital unit (assuming you want electric locks again).

Go over all major ground connections to the frame. Be careful of the main battery one as it's easy to snap the bolt due to the second lock nut.

There are probably a lot more, but these are some of the basics that at least will help keep the car from crashing, damaging the transmission/electrical system or locking you inside!

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

In no particular order:

1) DMC MW Fan Sequencer (FanZilla/Joe Cool)
    2) DMCH Digital Door Lock Module
    3) DPNW Door Lock Actuators
    4) DMCH Fuel Pump/Sender combo unit
    5) Dave McKeen Solid State RPM Relay
    6) Stainless steel braided clutch line (if 5-speed)
    7) Stainless coolant expansion bottle

Honorable mentions and definitely not as critical:
    -Updated window regulators and switches
    -John Hervey Double Ground Battery Cable
    -John Hervey Clutch Bleeder
    -DMCH 140A alternator
    -DPNW Cooling Fans

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

To go a little more general and vendor neutral (though Alex your list is great too!) here's my contribution. Note that some are not specific jobs, but rather collections of jobs:

1. Grounds, grounds, grounds. Clean, reinforce, replace, repair, whatever the point at hand may need. Do it and do it right.
    2. Updated coolant header bottle (no plastic!), radiator (again, no plastic!), water pump, coolant hoses, fans and fan relay. The cooling system needs to be SOLID.
    3. Fix your A/C. You may think you can live without it. You will be VERY surprised.
    4. Stainless clutch line (have I mentioned NO PLASTIC?!) and renew the master/slave if an M/T
    5. Clean the valley and renew the distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, etc.
    6. Upgraded fuel lines. Personally I prefer the stainless ones but 30 year old rubber + fuel will eventually = Bad Day. Also overhaul fuel pump. Pick your poison, the complicated stock style or the new combo kit. The combo is vastly superior but it's your car. Either way you need to be able to rely on this thing
    7. Upgrade the alternator. Pick a vendor and just do it.
    8. Trailing arm bolts
    9. Door struts and torsion bar check/adjustment. Get good, new struts and verify your doors don't bounce and don't sag
    10. Tires. There are entirely too many D's on janky old tires. Don't take the risk
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    3937

There were a couple safety recalls back in the day. Front end recall (including strengthening brackets as well as suspension nuts in a couple different places), throttle deice recall (includes the splash shield as well as some miscellaneous fittings that go on the cable and spool).

A couple of the common upgrades many owners do proactively for fear of it failing (statistics on how many did fail this way or that unknown to me) are: plastic coolant reservoir swapped out for a stainless one, fuses and relays get replaced/upgraded (which would or could include the fan fail spot, RPM relay, or potentially your door lock module... that could be just unplugging it), Trailing Arm Bolts (TABs) inspected and or replaced (Northwest Toby made special replacements which are highly sought after).

Some upgrades or fixes can be to lighten the load on your electrical system or otherwise. Some of these could be: new and improved radiator fans, headlight switch replacement (this could be in the already failed category), ensuring the cooling fan switch (otterstat) "tee" is pointing down, a coolant auto-bleed set-up, taillight board replacement or "tiny nuts and bolts" fix.

Other "nice to have" upgrades could be a stereo and speaker replacement, key fob/remote door launchers, new/different rims if that is your thing.

Some cosmetic ones may be: wide stripes, luggage rack, floor mats (not sure where they fit in as they were an "upgrade" not from the factory), exhaust tips, SS door sills, SS bumper letters, hood emblem(s), headlight lens covers.

Above all, best way to know what your particular car needs in terms of upgrades is to systematically go through every button, knob, switch and feature and find out if it is working as designed. Windows, horns, wipers, lights, mirrors, seats, speedometer too if you're lucky.

I'm sure there are many more, but that's what came to mind. Is that what you were thinking of when you asked?

EDIT: ^what he said

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    In no particular order:

1) DMC MW Fan Sequencer (FanZilla/Joe Cool)
    2) DMCH Digital Door Lock Module
    3) DPNW Door Lock Actuators
    4) DMCH Fuel Pump/Sender combo unit
    5) Dave McKeen Solid State RPM Relay
    6) Stainless steel braided clutch line (if 5-speed)
    7) Stainless coolant expansion bottle

Honorable mentions and definitely not as critical:

-Updated window regulators and switches
    -John Hervey Double Ground Battery Cable
    -John Hervey Clutch Bleeder
    -DMCH 140A alternator
    -DPNW Cooling Fans
    Sorry Alex, but one of your H.M.'s should be in the list: the cooling fans.

Given that those stock fans can pull up to a whopping 22A of current, they are easily the weakest link in the entire cooling system.

Here, since it's a "top 5 or 10" we'll just throw the fans and alternator in at 8 and 9 respectfully . That leaves room for # 10 - more powerful engine . Of course, that would negate nearly the rest of the list.

My top 10 is based off what I perceive you would want without taking the car down into a "minor restoration" status. These 10 things you could do one at a time a day without the car being "down" for multiple days or weeks. Good example of something I wouldn't put on my list would be a waterpump - GREAT thing to do - but if it's the first time in 30 years, I'd be a strong gambling man that it won't be getting done in one day flat.

Anyhoo, my top 10:

1. Entire new set of relays, fuses, and circuit breakers when first acquiring the car.
    2. New alternator
    3. New cooling fans
    4. New coolant bottle
    5. DMC MW fan sequencer
    6. Fuel sender combo (new pump)
    7. Stainless steel fuel lines.
    8. New coolant hoses from front to back
    9. New 3 core bass radiator
    10. LEDs throughout the car as quickly as possible. Read Ozzie's thorough blog in regards to electrical benefits: http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/201...good-idea.html

Alex and I are definitely on the same page for the most part !
    Last edited by DeLorean03; 08-06-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Nice additions, Jon. And you're right, people can have different experiences with parts from different vendors. I guess we stick with what we know!

You're right Jeremiah, updated fans should definitely be on the 'must' list! Good catch!

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post

You're right Jeremiah, updated fans should definitely be on the 'must' list! Good catch!
    Don't get me wrong my man - your list was solid - and like I said, you had slots for a top 10 list open so it all worked out !
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Jason

Excellent lists/recommendations. Looks to be fun and challenging!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I'd go for the basics before the fancy stuff:

YEAR 1
    Rebuild the brakes including the master cylinder and the caliper hoses.
    Tires less than a decade old. Newer is better.
    Rebuild the fuel system (pump, accumulator, filter) unless it actually runs OK, at least replace all the rubber tank parts, filter and accumulator
    Rebuild the cooling system including clean out the valley. New radiator highly recommended. Metal coolant tank highly recommended. Water pump optional but recommended while you are in there.
    Clutch master/slave/SS line
    Auto trans governor, flush everything, seal up all the leaks.
    Relay/Fuse Update Kit, clean fuse sockets
    Clean all the grounds
    Alternator
    Metal Door Handles

-------------------------------------------------

YEAR 2
    Anything else that is "deferred maintenance"
    30K maintenance aka tune-up/valve adjustment
    Transmission Leaks
    Window Motors
    Battery
    Door adjustments/alignments etc.
    Air Conditioner
    All the little broken things that don't work, but don't keep you from driving the car.

YEAR 3
    Lower on the list but good to have
    Headliners
    Stereo
    Power Door locks
    Shocks and Springs, sway bar bushings.
    All the little appearance things that you see at car shows but nobody else notices

WHENEVER
    At the bottom of the list after you do everything else:
    Door launchers
    Thumping stereo
    Thumping Engine
    Lights under the car

etc. . . . . .
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast