FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Alternator installation issue

Not in charge....luckily for you Renee_1632's Avatar

My VIN:    01632

Unhappy Alternator installation issue

Yesterday I tried to install a new alternator. I got the old one out fine, but when I went to install the new one from DMCH (seen here: http://www.delorean.com/store/p-6804...r-140-amp.aspx ) I noticed the connectors for the ground wire were different:

new alt.jpg
    New Alternator. Note the connector, with ONE hole.

old alt.jpg
    Old Alternator. Note the TWO holes.

How do I install the new alternator? Do I need an adapter? Can I splice?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Renee

VIN 1632

You know you're a DeLorean owner when "Run DMC" is not an 80's band, but a daily prayer.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

That's not a factory wire on the old one, someone already spliced it. Cut that connector off.

The actual intent is that you put the wire from the car into the one hole on the new alternator and crimp it. With a crimp tool if you want it to hold, don't use pliers.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    3299

Hey Renee,

I'll try to keep this as simple as possible, as I know this question will get ALOT of comments. Basically, DMCH's has a connector that's different than your connector. The ground wire your alternator has is the "female" end socket. In that socket goes a "male" spade connector. A male spade connector would be a flat rectangle, and this piece goes in the "two hole" female connector that is currently on your alternator (hence the words "male" and "female" - I never forgot which was which after Casey explained to me this way =P). You have two options:

1. Find the "male end" that corresponds with the female connector DMCH's alternator has, or.....

2. Cut the "one hole connector" off DMCH's alternator. Attach (or "splice") on a "two hole connector" like the one that's on your alternator. Now that DMCH's alt has the same female connector as your old alternator, it should be a an easy installation from here.

Let me know if you have any questions or need further help. Good luck!
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

I get both of the above responses, but which is it? Is it just the crimping I need to do?

My only concern with the splicing is the connectors I have are plastic. Won't they melt back there, that close to the exhaust?
    Renee

VIN 1632

You know you're a DeLorean owner when "Run DMC" is not an 80's band, but a daily prayer.

My VIN:    3299

I would say go Dave's way - and I'm not questioning his authority, BUT....

What if you have to disconnect your alternator for any reason? You can't "uncrimp" a crimped connection. With the male and female ends, you can quickly disconnect and go.

As far as the exhaust, route the wires away from it. Or do what I did, zip tie this wire with other wires in the area. I know on mine, there's alot of wiring for all the other connections going to the starter and alternator all zip tied together. I zip-tied them, then cut off the excess "tie" so it doesn't look too "shoddy."
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Your best bet in splicing the connection is to use heat shrinkable electrical connectors. They are available in any auto parts store and you can use something as basic as a cigarette lighter for a heat source. Make sure to crimp the connections good and tight with a crimping tool, then heat the outer covering and watch it shrink like a shrinky dink. They will seal out moisture and the elements far better then tape or just about anything else you could use. the only downside is they are about $.70 each. Good Luck!!
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    16409

Doesn't the wire disconnect from the alternator via a plug? If so, you can solder and shrink wrap the wire coming off the car to the alternator wire. The alternator wire should be attached to a black plug, unless Houston is doing things different now. I've attached some pictures.

As far as I know the single wire is not the ground wire. It has something to do with the battery light and voyage regulator. The alternator is grounded to the engine block via the mounting bracket.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 07-25-2011 at 07:55 PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Banned

It's the field excitation wire.

Bill Robertson

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    I would say go Dave's way - and I'm not questioning his authority, BUT....

What if you have to disconnect your alternator for any reason? You can't "uncrimp" a crimped connection. ."
    Unplug it from the alternator like the alternator designer intended.

Even on the OEM alternator it's a bolt-on connection. There is no reason for that to be disconnectable there and it's just another failure point. The fitting on the DMCH alternator is NOT a connector. It's a crimp fitting.
    Last edited by DMCMW Dave; 07-25-2011 at 08:35 PM.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Thanks everyone...I think I'll go with Dave's crimping suggestion. Hopefully 1632 will be back up and running this afternoon!

As for removal, the wire is connected to a black tab that can be removed from the alternator, so no worries there
    Renee

VIN 1632