FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 410

Thread: The Restoration of #1768

  1. #221
    Senior Member vwdmc16's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  sacramento

    Posts:    1,418

    My VIN:    1768

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Finally finished up one project I have underway, Corvette 3rd Brake light. I picked this unit up for just $40 from a Corvette repair shop just a block from my work. It needs a new base gasket as this one has shrunk some and it needed two new bulbs, $8 a piece, I also used some old free BMW parts for the wiring. First to mock up where it will go, Center of the top louver:





    Tried under the louver idea but that would require two lights and would block some rearward vision:




    After measuring center, I measured for the two M6 mounting holes.





    After mounting was figured, I stripped the light down, sanded, primered and painted with SEM black. Now to wire it up. I got some high quality twin cable 18ga wire from a old BMW, its actually the rear speaker wires and comes pre-twisted, I also wanted to install a quick release waterproof connector up top so I dont have to cut and re connect the wires whenever the Louvers have to be removed ( granted that isnt often but whatever makes things easier in the future). The two pin connector is also from that BMW.




    I drilled out a hole in the torsion bar finisher panel for the connector to sit in:




    After installing the heat shrink in the right order, time to solder up the female plug end to the long wires.




    I used a small hose clamp to secure the plug to the panel so it isnt pulled out when unplugged:




    To allow more room for the plug and so the louvers don't hit the plug when shut, I trimmed down the male end of the plug and made the wire come out at a 90' angle, sealed with liquid electrical tape.




    Cut down the excess wire, add heat shrink and this nice expandable mesh sheathing (again from a 90's BMW) and connected to the newly mounted brake light.



    Plenty of room between the plug and louver, also added a clip to hold the wire from sagging into my field of view:






    Wires are run down the passenger side quarter panel to the rear fascia and soldered into the taillight harness, I will need to come back and solder in another quick release plug needed during fascia removal. Not shown but I also added another ground to the tail light circuit since there is about 24 more watts being drawn.



    Looks nice and hopefully it will save my ass one day!



  2. #222
    My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Sacramento-ish

    Posts:    4,408

    My VIN:    02100

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Damn man, that came out great!! Good job
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

  3. #223
    Senior Member DavidProehl's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Maple Grove, MN (Minneapolis)

    Posts:    1,432

    My VIN:    05457

    Well executed!
    David Proehl

  4. #224
    aka RacerX Ryan S.'s Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Sacramento, CA

    Posts:    637

    My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

    look so OEM. good job!!
    Just need to add a break light flasher for an added protection.

  5. #225
    Four fish Delorean ALEXAKOS's Avatar
    Join Date:  Feb 2013

    Location:  38.09080 N 23.8005 E

    Posts:    2,038

    My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

    Don't really like any of the third break lights made on a D..
    But this one looks sweet!

  6. #226
    LS Swapper Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  Illinois

    Posts:    2,514

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (ADOA)

    I agree. I don't really see the need for a third break light, but this install is done very, very well!

    Supercharged 5.3L LS4 / Porsche 6spd 522 whp

  7. #227
    Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Omaha, NE

    Posts:    1,755

    My VIN:    loading, please wait...

    Quote Originally Posted by jschatte View Post
    ...I don't really see the need for a third break light...
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

  8. #228
    Senior Member Domi's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  France

    Posts:    2,462

    My VIN:    16951

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

    Very good job and really clean, congratulation

  9. #229
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Brake
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  10. #230
    Senior Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Atlanta OTP GA

    Posts:    7,085

    My VIN:    2743

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Brake
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

    I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

    http://www.will-to-live.org

    No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •