FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 26 of 77 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 763

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

  1. #251
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    If you don't want to take my word for it, simply push the plate closed with your fingers and see what happens.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  2. #252
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    If you don't want to take my word for it,...
    I remember what happened the last time I did that...

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    ...simply push the plate closed with your fingers and see what happens.
    That's pretty funny, but it wouldn't be "partially closed" nor prove anything, now would it?

    But, since I don't have a hacked fuel system on my D, how about the next time we are at a meet we try it on your car? Now since you said never, I'd choose to do it after you shut your engine off, but while you hit the pedal once (per manufacturer starting instructions mind you), then step back and you start it back up.

    Seriously, I just wanted to point out that it is not always the case, even with a perfectly tuned carb, and that it can be used as a diagnostic tool.
    I have to admit messing with you is always fun, but you are making it too easy now.

    Till next meet....
    Last edited by Ron; 08-13-2011 at 04:18 AM.

  3. #253
    Tweedledumber DCUK Martin's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  DeLorean Cars, UK

    Posts:    593

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    A healthy PRV pulls too much vacuum for the compression spring on the throttle cable alone to reliably close the throttle plates
    Huh? The point of a butterfly valve is that the force required to open/close it is independent of the pressure/flow going through it.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Oh grow up -- K-Jetters have had to tighten their throttle return springs too.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

    Curious isn't it: I was kicked out of Mike Lund's EFI thread (posts deleted), yet Martin is allowed to come into a thread clearly labeled "CARB" / "Carbed Car" and start slinging disparaging comments around....

    I've done a few more carb conversions than Martin has -- chances are I know better than he does what works in these applications (especially Motorcraft specific conversions).

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  5. #255
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Fyi

    Just FYI, the fittings on the new fuel pump I bought are 3/8" NPT. Bill's carrier has 1/8" NPT fittings. I will seek adapters at the hardware store. This will make the pump sit a bit higher, so it will be necessary to lower the carrier inside the boot a little bit.

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  6. #256
    Tweedledumber DCUK Martin's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  DeLorean Cars, UK

    Posts:    593

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Oh grow up -- K-Jetters have had to tighten their throttle return springs too.
    Yahuh, but it has bugger all to do with engine vacuum, oh master of erroneous (and childish) comments.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

  7. #257
    Senior Member Ashyukun's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Lexington, KY

    Posts:    242

    My VIN:    16655

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Just FYI, the fittings on the new fuel pump I bought are 3/8" NPT. Bill's carrier has 1/8" NPT fittings. I will seek adapters at the hardware store. This will make the pump sit a bit higher, so it will be necessary to lower the carrier inside the boot a little bit.

    Farrar
    I had a similar problem with the pump that I got- I needed a 1/8" NPT barrel adapter to put it in place of the one I took out. It's possible that Bill had installed one in the old one too, but it looked like the old pump had a male 1/8" NPT fitting on it vs. the new pump's female one.

  8. #258
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Airtex E8012 has female 1/8 NPT threads on both ends.

    This is the order of components that made your original fuel pump and carrier:
    FuelPumpComponents.JPG

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  9. #259
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    The reducing bushing works fine on the bottom. For the top, I simply used a straight barb and an elbow fitting:

    SANY0863.jpg

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    What kind of failures are you experiencing? My epoxy killed pump just sat there like a bump on a log (didn't do anything). I lost one pump to what appeared to be bearing failure (jumped around so much it was difficult to hold in my hand). It is possible my third pump did not die (the car bogged down just as Louie and I were passing an off ramp, so we zipped off the interstate, into the gas station at the top, and threw the spare into the tank -- it could have been a gust of headwind).

    The pump currently in my tank got me Alabama to New Orleans, then went to/from Lexington, Pennsylvania, and DC twice, but I won't hesitate for a second to throw my spare in there if necessary.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    The Airtex unit had been making some strange noises the past few weeks. My guess is it was on its way out. Yesterday, 150 miles from home, it started going out intermittently. The car would stall and then start back up (sometimes). I managed to limp around for 15 minutes while I drove around Jackson, MS looking for a place with shade to do some work. I ended up in the ghetto and decided to limp to the entrance ramp to the interstate. Luckily it got that far and then the fuel pump stopped for good.

    I honestly spent more time driving around looking for shade then it actually took me to do the work. Since I carry a spare fuel pump I just swapped it out and was back on the road again. After taking a lunch break, and stopping at Autozone to get a new spare (made in china part), I was on my way again.

    I think I purchased my spare Airtex unit at Advance Auto. Unfortunately I don't have my receipt (this is why I prefer Autozone) so it might be difficult to get it replaced. I bought the Adance Auto pump less than a year ago, installed it in the car, and kept the original as spare. I'm going to go to the store I bought it from and see if they will honor the warranty without a receipt.

    Even if I didn't have a spare fuel pump with me the day still wouldn't have been too bad. I could have stopped at any auto parts store and gotten a fuel pump capable of filling my carburetor bowl. If I had been depending on a K-Jet fuel system I would be stranded in Jackson until a vendor could overnight me a part.
    Last edited by stevedmc; 08-14-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Page 26 of 77 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •