FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 84

Thread: DMC stage 1 and stage 2 engine differences

  1. #1
    Senior Member timothymoore's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Nelsonville , Ohio

    Posts:    305

    My VIN:    10186

    DMC stage 1 and stage 2 engine differences

    was just wondering what the HP differences are between the stage 1 and 2 engines?

  2. #2
    Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fernandina Beach Fl

    Posts:    1,933

    My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    The Stage 1 upgrade is more for the exhaust note and the elimination of the hot air intake hose. Although your gas mileage and hp increase slightly, it's not a huge difference. It gets about 1 to 2 mpg more than the stock motor. The Stage 2 has 80 more hp than the stock motor. To me the Stage 2 is only beneficial if your motor blows up or if you just have $5,000-$7,000 to spend. The Stage 2 gets around 23 to 25 mpg with premium fuel.
    Last edited by Chris Burns; 08-18-2011 at 07:53 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member QuadcityDMC's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Moline,IL

    Posts:    135

    My VIN:    3390

    197HP Having just installed a new Stage 2 motor (DMCMW) I would NOT go back to stock. it is a world of difference. I run 93octan and get 20 mpg, there is much more power in the car, if you need to get moving fast or merge onto the intersate, no problem, the car has your back.

    It looks awesome, sounds good, and drives great.

    At first it was loud inside the car, but now I'm used to it. If you can upgrade to Stage II do it.


    I'm about 75% done with "restoring" my car. I'm putting in the headlight upgrade kit next week.

  4. #4
    DeLorean Taker-Aparter jmettee's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Glen Rock, PA

    Posts:    453

    My VIN:    02075

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    The compression ratio is not increased by going to Stage II, so there should be no need to use anything other than 87 octane, just like the stock engine.
    ______________________________________________
    Justin Mettee
    VIN 02075

    DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

  5. #5
    DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Taylors SC

    Posts:    5,327

    My VIN:    (former)05429

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    It's recommended due to a more aggressive cam and ignition timing. Try different fuels, if it doesn't knock it's OK.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

  6. #6
    Senior Member timothymoore's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Nelsonville , Ohio

    Posts:    305

    My VIN:    10186

    i think i might just save up for the stage 2 then. around 200 HP, sounds good to me .

  7. #7
    Formally hmm252000
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Hillsboro, OR

    Posts:    492

    My VIN:    4099

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    The stage II is actually 198 BHP, not HP. Basically the HP without any accessories added to it. Ultimately the stock engine puts down about 100HP at the wheels while the Stage II puts down 130HP. Still not a bad jump when you consider that's 30% more!

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by jammer96 View Post
    The Stage 2 gets around 23 to 25 mpg with premium fuel.
    Is that with an automatic or manual transmission? I'm not trying to go off topic but I am getting consistant gas mileage between 22 and 25 mpg with combined city/highway driving and I have a manual transmission.

    I have no clue what my horsepower is but I'm sure my mods have increased it slightly.

  9. #9
    DeLorean Owner Since 2006
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Waukesha, WI

    Posts:    1,181

    My VIN:    3676

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    I'd assume it's with an AT. I get around 25 doing mostly city driving and if I cruise solely on the highway and set the cruise control for 65, then I can get 32 MPG out of the car with my 5-speed.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    I'd assume it's with an AT. I get around 25 doing mostly city driving and if I cruise solely on the highway and set the cruise control for 65, then I can get 32 MPG out of the car with my 5-speed.
    Sweet. Is your car somewhat stock or is it stage 2?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •