FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 26 of 111 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 1102

Thread: Farrar's car blog

  1. #251
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    If I remember correctly, your exact words were "I want a carb setup just like yours..."
    If that's a joke, I don't get it. If that's not a joke, then it's a poor way to try to help me. Let's not debate what I said in 2008 -- this is 2011 and those fuel pumps are no longer available. Let's move forward.

    I have now made the entire assembly as short as I can make it, and with the pickup screen sitting on the bottom of the tuna can, it is still too tall.

    I am now seeking other places to mount a fuel pump and am open to suggestions.

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  2. #252
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Relax. I'm just saying there is a reason you don't have a series of brass fittings like Steve (and everyone else) -- I modeled your pickup exactly after mine.

    You can mount the pump anywhere. The Loadstar school bus at my church has two pumps: one on the frame next to the tank (opposite side of the frame -- I had to drill a hole through it. Oh joy), and one in the engine compartment on the firewall:
    AirtexPump.jpg MrGasketPump.jpg

    See if Jim Franklin (JIMJAM) knows how to get up with Jeff Dickey -- Jeff mounted a squarish shaped pump somewhere up front, totally outside the tank.

    Airtex 8012's are still available BTW from Advance. You can also buy them online from Summit.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  3. #253
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    I didn't think you were trying to insult me, Bill. No worries. If I can't relax soon, I am going to take a complete break from the fuel pump problem and work on something else until I can come at it with a clear head.

    Mounting the pump somewhere where I can get to it without lifting the car is, for me, the most important thing right now. Someone walked away with my floor jack during the move.

    I will have to go exploring at the front of the car to find a suitable place to mount the pump. I realize that in theory I could mount it damn near anywhere, but I want it close enough to the tank to not have to worry about vapor-lock.

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I want it close enough to the tank to not have to worry about vapor-lock.
    Vapor lock was caused by cooler gasoline being pulled into a pump mounted on a hot engine (the gas would boil as it approached the pump, and you would end up pumping vapor rather than liquid). Since your gasoline is hotter in the tank than it is on the trip towards the back of the car, I don't think vapor lock will be a concern even with a pump mounted in the engine compartment (provided gas makes it out of the tank in the first place -- if it's hot enough to boil under however much vacuum the pump is sucking, then the system will vapor lock until it cools down).

    You can pull though 1/4" fuel line hose OK (it won't collapse) -- I've pumped out tanks with fuel line pulled off the spool so I won't have to cut it shorter (at 15 feet).

    Bill Robertson
    #5939


    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  5. #255
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Ah, so with an electric pump moun6ted away from the engine, I needn't worry about that -- this is good news.

    If I still used the old steel fuel lines, perhaps I could mount the pump where the accumulator is ... I will have to do some exploring after I get a new floor jack.

    Thanks,
    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  6. #256
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    If I still used the old steel fuel lines, perhaps I could mount the pump where the accumulator is ... I will have to do some exploring after I get a new floor jack.

    Thanks,
    Farrar
    better yet mount it near where the stock fuel filter is, better access.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  7. #257
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    better yet mount it near where the stock fuel filter is, better access.
    Either way, don't I have to have the car off the ground 8 to 10 inches to gain access? Not my first choice, but then again there's not much extra space on this car!

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  8. #258
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Either way, don't I have to have the car off the ground 8 to 10 inches to gain access? Not my first choice, but then again there's not much extra space on this car!

    Farrar
    I only suggested near the fuel filter since if you are doing it under the car it would be easier to get to from that location rather than the accumulator cubbyhole. BTW, why not mount it in the engine bay? If you are goning to install it so far down line near the filter or accumulate why not go a bit further and put it in the engine bay, way better access right?
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  9. #259
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Or just leave the pump in the tank -- very easy access. I am repeatedly removing mine for show & tell (it seems like every new person I meet wants to see a tuna fish baffle in person). I can pop it out in less than a minute.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  10. #260
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Or just leave the pump in the tank --
    HA! I wonder if I had said leave it in the tank you would have said mount it in the engine bay. Good times
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Page 26 of 111 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •