FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 29 of 111 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 1102

Thread: Farrar's car blog

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Spectra brand pumps are smaller (in every dimension) than your original Airtex unit -- you could try one of those.

    Is your new Airtex pump itself the same size as an E8012S? If so, you should be able to install it in the same place (you may need to tap your carrier 1/4 NPT rather than adapt the pump to 1/8 threads.

    IIRC, Steve went through a phase of relocating his pump elsewhere, but ultimately decided to go back to the tank -- perhaps he has some insights.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    IIRC, Steve went through a phase of relocating his pump elsewhere, but ultimately decided to go back to the tank -- perhaps he has some insights.
    I was thinking about relocating it, but after consideration I decided the stock fuel pump location is one of the few things DMC got right.

  3. #283
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Spectra brand pumps are smaller (in every dimension) than your original Airtex unit -- you could try one of those.
    So instead of trying to make my current Made In USA pump fit, I should buy a Made In China pump and throw away the $64 I spent on the Made In USA pump?

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Is your new Airtex pump itself the same size as an E8012S?
    No; it is slightly taller owing to the larger fittings at the top and bottom.

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    (you may need to tap your carrier 1/4 NPT
    I can't; none of the hardware stores in my area sell NPT thread taps. This and a lack of time on my hands is why I decided to use a reducing coupling instead. The end of the coupling adds only about 1/8" height to the assembly (under the pump, inside the carrier, screwed into the pipe cap). A close nipple then screws into that reducing coupling to poke through the pipe cap at the bottom. A female/female coupling screws onto the close nipple sticking out of the pipe cap, and into the other side of that coupling is screwed the pickup screen. There are no bare threads showing; this is as short as it will get.

    I hope that is clear; if not, I will try to take a picture when I get home tonight.

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    IIRC, Steve went through a phase of relocating his pump elsewhere, but ultimately decided to go back to the tank -- perhaps he has some insights.
    He has never mentioned this to me.

    I guess I am being punished for deviating from Bill's prescribed fuel pump assembly. What a shame; I thought my carma was pretty good.

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    I will not tolerate my army of minions deviating from lock step orthodoxy!

    If you feel like running a new fuel line down the driver's side of the frame (you, John, and I are the only ones on the passenger side), there is plenty of room to mount a pump to the firewall:
    FarrarPumpIdea1.jpg

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  5. #285
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    If you feel like running a new fuel line down the driver's side of the frame (you, John, and I are the only ones on the passenger side), there is plenty of room to mount a pump to the firewall...
    I am not sure there is enough room for another hose next to the giant a/c hose running along the frame -- even a 1/4" one. I will give it a try, though, when I can next raise the car.

    One other question: How do I mount the fuel pump bracket without being able to hold a nut on the other side of the firewall?

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    There's an A/C hose on the passenger side too....

    Every conversion from Steve forward has run the fuel line down the driver's side (Bob ran his through the frame because his car was already significantly disassembled). It's actually easier than the passenger side because you don't have to contend with the heater core pipes.

    The pump would have to be mounted with a screw (big screw -- #12 or #14). It would probably be easiest turn the bracket so the screw is underneath the pump, like this:
    AirtexPump.jpg

    I'm only suggesting a driver's side fuel line because I don't know if you could make a sharp enough U turn to use your current fuel line. A/C and heater core lines would require the pump to be mounted on the driver's side of the boot.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Last edited by content22207; 08-24-2011 at 09:43 PM.

  7. #287
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    I fake-mounted the bracket for the fuel pump to the firewall, and it, too hits the access panel. Bill, your car's body molds must have been different from mine.

    What a waste. I guess I am going to have to throw away that $64 pump, hope that O'Reilly accepts a return on the other $64 pump I bought as a spare, then go somewhere else and see if I can buy a Spectra unit like Steven uses.

    Rats. I was looking forward to using a higher-quality fuel pump.

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Scoot it over further (behind the tank filler hose). I just test fitted an E8012S -- I can get it all the way behind the lip easily. You won't be able to put a hose clamp on it in that position, but you could attach the fuel line with the pump loose, then put it in the bracket with the fuel line already attached.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  9. #289
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Scoot it over further (behind the tank filler hose). I just test fitted an E8012S -- I can get it all the way behind the lip easily.
    If that's the case, why not just mount the bracket right-side up and stick the bolt through the fiberglass above the access cover? I will have another look tomorrow and see if that is possible.

    ... but not before dousing myself with Deet or something. The last time I was outside for five minutes I averaged a mosquito bite every minute!

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  10. #290
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    If that's the case, why not just mount the bracket right-side up and stick the bolt through the fiberglass above the access cover? I will have another look tomorrow and see if that is possible.
    Pump has to go against the firewall. Mounted against the lip it would protrude into the spare tire well.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

Page 29 of 111 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •