FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 30 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 763

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

  1. #291
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Take out these two components:

    Attachment 4001

    Their only purpose is to position the pickup screen lower in the tank.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Once again, I am cursed by being an early adopter.

    My pipe cap is not tapped for 1/4" NPT.

    There is no bushing in the pipe cap, just the close nipple, which will not come out. I've tried vise-grips and a hammer, and it won't move. Now I have a reducing coupling stuck in the bottom of the pump carrier, and that close nipple stuck in the bottom of the pipe cap.

    Grr.

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    There has to be something at the bottom -- a close nipple isn't long enough to go into the pump and extend all the way through the pipe cap.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

    I just pulled the pump out of #5939. It has a custom piece of brass tubing instead of a collection of brass fittings. I bet yours is identical.

    My pipe cap is tapped 1/8 NPT. The tubing is threaded long enough to extend through the cap and into the pump.

    Do you have a 1/4 NPT tap? If so, just convert your carrier into a later style (I buy the brass fittings from Lowes -- I like their barrel connectors better than McMaster's).

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

    If anyone wants a spare, this is 1/3 of a parts house price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NIEHO...item2c5eaf236e

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  3. #293
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    There has to be something at the bottom -- a close nipple isn't long enough to go into the pump and extend all the way through the pipe cap.
    It looks like this:

    4512K91-120x80.jpg

    Looks just like the picture -- male on both ends. This has 1/8" NPT threads on it.

    I managed to remove the coupling between it and the pickup screen, but that bit of pipe is stuck solid in that pipe cap.

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    It's a custom piece of pipe. I cut the threads myself. They are at least twice as long as standard threads, to extend through the pipe cap and still grab the pump.

    The pipe cap is just aluminum -- it should spin right off (unless you've managed to get a fitting stuck on the other end...).

    If need be, just cut the pipe off and use the stuck fitting to spin the remaining threads out of the cap.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  5. #295
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Totally unrelated to Farrar's fuel carrier issues:

    If any Motorcraft 2100 user wants a spare, this is 1/3 of a parts house price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NIEHO...item2c5eaf236e

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Do you typically leave the cover off over the pump like the photo a few pages back? What keeps water from collecting on top of the pump? Does this contribute to the short life you are seeing?
    I took off my fuel pump cover after converting and gave it away as part of my trade for an engine. Not having it may have caused my fuel pump failure, but the inside of the fuel tank did look fine upon inspection.

    Anyway, I was doing some work in there today anyway and decided to install a fuel pump cover. I picked mine up at the dollar store. I believe I got a package of 25 fuel pump covers for about $2 or $3.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by stevedmc; 08-20-2011 at 08:09 PM.

  7. #297
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Anyway, I was doing some work in there today anyway and decided to install a fuel pump cover. I picked mine up at the dollar store. I believe I got a package of 25 fuel pump covers for about $2 or $3.
    Carbariffic!
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    I reiterate: frame rail pumps are designed to get wet.

    Factory design:
    BlueTruckFuelPump.jpg

    Aftermarket design:
    AirtexPump.jpg

    I don't like water in my boot, so I rigged up a splash guard for the primary culprit (windshield plenum drain).

    The argument that water is causing pump failure is a Red Herring. I think your problems are electrical. Consider this: what has failed on your pump: mechanical drive components or the electric motor itself? Both of my pump failures were mechanical (one sucked up piece of epoxy and one bearing failure), neither of which can be blamed on water exposure. My pump is grounded directly to the battery via two channels: the original frame ground and my ground bus (the frame is attached to the bus, which is itself attached directly to the battery). Electron supply is not an issue.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  9. #299
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Just FYI, the Spectra E8012S, which is made in China and available at AutoZone, comes with female 1/8" NPT threads on the bottom for attaching a fuel pickup filter (included). The pump has a 1/4" hose barb directly on top, so there is nothing to screw in and if you mount it in the boot the hose will stick straight up, but there is enough room to close the access cover under the spare tire well. The pickup filter included with the pump also has a 1/4" hose barb. It's a perfect fit for Bill's "in-tank" solution.

    The pump comes with a one-year warranty, so keep your receipt.

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  10. #300
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    The pump comes with a one-year warranty, so keep your receipt.
    You can walk into any Autozone, nationwide, without your receipt and they will gladly swap it out if you bought it from Autozone.

Page 30 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •