I was talking about this thread...
I was talking about this thread...
Posts: 1,068
This thread only has 6 pages.
Bill Robertson
#5939
Last edited by Ron; 08-29-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Posts: 1,068
Let's stick to the controversy at hand: does increasing secondary voltage and widening the plug gap improve "performance," by whatever measure you want to use, or not?
On my side:
- An SAE research paper by AC Delco engineers, vetted by Lucas, Ford, and Champion
- Historical auto manufacturer practices from the 1970's to the present day
Bill Robertson
#5939
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)
I believe this argument and most other Bill/Martin arguments can be summed up in just two sentences:
1. Deloreans suck and Bill does his best to make his not so sucky.
2. Deloreans suck and Martin likes it.
First, I said pages ago that you may have stumbled on a combination that performs better and I too would like to see it...untill then, I'll bite this once and share the following thoughts.
I will say increasing secondary voltage OR widening the plug gap will increase energy at the plug gap. (Still wondering what that resistor in the rotor you keep bitching about is for ;-)
"Performance" includes horsepower and emission (NOT semantics here). I have no doubt that what you are doing could make a D run faster (or, conversely, cleaner for that matter). The engineers had trade offs between the two to contend with. Considering the type of car it is (was), you can bet your bottom dollar that they pushed the emissions as far as they could get away with. I don't doubt that they (basically) knew what is in the pages you posted [Who would have published it back then?] and know they had access to larger coils and gaps...and tried them. Increasing the energy changes the curve...will the burn then occur at the optimum rate, max at the correct piston-crankshaft location, change temps, etc., etc.? Who knows?...I must strongly suspect that you are causing polluting well beyond a point of passing an emission inspection, or, the change in power is insignificant.
Posts: 1,068
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)
Wrong. Widening the plug gap without increasing voltage will turn your ignition to sh!t. Sorry for the language but Deloreans are teaching me to cuss.
Edit to clarify my response: How the hell do you think spark is going to jump across a wider spark plug gap if you don't increase voltage?
Last edited by stevedmc; 08-29-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,047
My VIN: 16510 and carbureted
Club(s): (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)