FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Accelerator issue...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2015

    Location:  Virginia

    Posts:    60

    My VIN:    6989

    Accelerator issue...

    Today, I noticed my accelerator wouldn't depress until after a few minutes when I started her up. However, the pedal is much lower to the floor and it's a pain getting the car to drive up to speed. I turned around, and parked her at home. Could this be the throttle linkage? I should add it's 21 degrees outside. Thank you guys!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    8,819

    My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluxn83 View Post
    Today, I noticed my accelerator wouldn't depress until after a few minutes when I started her up. However, the pedal is much lower to the floor and it's a pain getting the car to drive up to speed. I turned around, and parked her at home. Could this be the throttle linkage? I should add it's 21 degrees outside. Thank you guys!!
    Even if the throttle recall has been done you must redo it by forcing anti-freeze into the throttle cable. Water probably got into it and froze. Refer to RA-0002 and SC-01-1/82. You should also disassemble. clean, lubricate, and reassemble the throttle spool. It can be very dangerous to drive the car if you do not have full control of the throttle.
    David Teitelbaum

  3. #3
    Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern Michigan

    Posts:    1,237

    My VIN:    1880

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    I did this once and actually bent my gas pedal because the cable was frozen. You can pull the gas pedal up to bend it back into the correct height.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2015

    Location:  Virginia

    Posts:    60

    My VIN:    6989

    You guys are awesome, thanks!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rich's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  San Francisco Bay Area, Calif.

    Posts:    2,234

    My VIN:    0934

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluxn83 View Post
    Today, I noticed my accelerator wouldn't depress until after a few minutes when I started her up. However, the pedal is much lower to the floor and it's a pain getting the car to drive up to speed. I turned around, and parked her at home. Could this be the throttle linkage? I should add it's 21 degrees outside. Thank you guys!!
    A+ grade for a complete problem description on this posting.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    8,819

    My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

    Yes, the 21 degrees made the diagnosis much easier!
    David Teitelbaum

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •