FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD
www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
-
Surely Ron and Martin would not let their feelings towards me as an individual interfere with at least trying HEI on their own cars, just to see first hand whether they like it or not.
I tried both stock ignition and HEI in real world use (not theoretically), and found that I like HEI better.
Bill Robertson
#5939
One of the "characteristics" (to keep things civil, we won't call it an "advantage" or "disadvantage") of HEI is the ability to ignite the fuel/air mixture closer to TDC and still get complete combustion.
There is a school of thought that igniting the fuel/air mixture too soon can be counterproductive because the expanding explosion will push against the rising piston.
My engine is timed 10 degrees BTDC, not 13 degrees BTDC (a stock DeLorean timing scale is superimposed next to mine for comparison):
5939TimingMark.jpg
In conjunction with my ignition distributor, which clearly differs from a stock DeLorean unit:
5939Distributor.jpg
HEI definitely allows me to light my mixture closer to TDC and still get complete combustion.
Yet another reason why my DeLorean is faster than a stock DeLorean.
Bill Robertson
#5939
BTW: My block itself is a pedestrian low compression PRV, same as DeLorean. Not only does its cylinder compression read ~150 PSI (despite what Martin says, you *CAN* tell a European block from a North American one with a compression test -- my Renault Z7V block reads ~170 PSI), but I run 87 octane through it with no detonation problems whatsoever.
Bill Robertson
#5939
-
Tweedledumber

Originally Posted by
content22207
My DeLorean is currently in hover mode:
Mine's better:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5091
Remember that I am running a Pertronix coil, not a Bosch Blue coil. The Bosch Blue coil is reportedly unable to handle more than 6-8 volts for extended periods of time. Do not do this on your own car unless you have exchanged the Bosch Blue coil for a proper performance coil.
You still have no clue when it comes to basic electrics! You could cheerfully zap a couple of thousand volts through the coil and it wouldn't hurt it. It's current that matters, and it's current that determines the performance of the coil!
I run MSD spiral wires because they are made of real wire -- much more durable than imitation wires. You can actually solder to MSD wires (John Hervey solders his terminals). Insulation jacket is 20% thicker too.
Can I just ask if your Hi Fi speakers have arrows on them? I bet you're a firm believer in directional speaker cable...
which of course yields easier starting, better acceleration, reduced emissions, and lower fuel consumption.
Of course it does. It also reduces tyre wear, aerodynamic drag and makes your headlights shine brighter. The unfortunate side effect is that you have to carry a huge pile of bullshit around and spout it at every opportunity...
There is a school of thought that igniting the fuel/air mixture too soon can be counterproductive because the expanding explosion will push against the rising piston.
REALLY?! You don't say....
My engine is timed 10 degrees BTDC, not 13 degrees BTDC (a stock DeLorean timing scale is superimposed next to mine for comparison):
That's just the advance at idle and is standard on 013 distributors. It tells you nothing about the shape of the curve, only that it starts at a slightly lower level of advance. It runs more advance only a couple of thousand RPM later, so by your own ill-conceived argument, you should be running at less than 10 degrees BTDC. Let's see how your performance goes when you try it, shall we?

Originally Posted by
stevedmc
The answer is, "So you don't have to listen to Ron and Martin's crap."
Did you believe Carl Tilley too?
Martin Gutkowski
-------------
Very part time DeLoreaner...
-
Despite having the same basic engine block, my DeLorean is notably faster than a stock DeLorean. Every single person who has driven it (As Mike Lund can attest, I loan the car out readily) comments on its performance. Overall it is a cumulative effect of:
- Carburetion, especially via a single plane intake manifold
- High Energy Ignition
- True dual exhaust
- Make believe catalytic converters (tubing passes right through them, so there is no volumetric change in velocity)
Live with it.
Bill Robertson
#5939
-

Originally Posted by
content22207
Every single person who has driven it (As Mike Lund can attest, I loan the car out readily) comments on its performance.
Bill Robertson
#5939
Yup, that is pretty cool of you.
-
Was it faster than stock?
Bill Robertson
#5939
-
It felt quicker - but I hadn't driven my DeLorean in six months at that point, so I didn't really have a good basis of comparison. What I chiefly notice (and really dug!) was the loud, gnarly exhaust.
-
Tweedledumber

Originally Posted by
content22207
Despite having the same basic engine block, my DeLorean is notably faster than a stock DeLorean. Every single person who has driven it (As Mike Lund can attest, I loan the car out readily) comments on its performance.
...and back on page 4 of this thread, I wrote:

Originally Posted by
DCUK Martin
I've actually never argued that Bill's car isn't faster than a stock DeLorean. It almost certainly is. The Alpine GTA Atmo with slightly different cams, ignition timing (advance weights) and a twin Solex carb setup but otherwise identical transmission and ignition system is a heap quicker than a DeLorean - 156hp IIRC. They didn't have the mpg or emissions figures to hit that DMC did. I'm pretty sure Bill's current setup wouldn't meet those either.
Martin Gutkowski
-------------
Very part time DeLoreaner...
-
Tweedledumber

Originally Posted by
content22207
Live with it.
Prove your ignition system made a difference. Oh! You can't. Live with that and stop posting irrelevant crap skirting around the simple fact that you can't.
Martin Gutkowski
-------------
Very part time DeLoreaner...
-
If Martin were just to buy himself a silk mankini too, it would take our relationship to a whole new level....
"Carbs rock -- high five!"
"K-Jet rocks too -- high five!"
"Forced induction rocks -- high five!"
"American big blocks rock too -- high five"
"Crappy Lotus engineering rocks -- high five"
"Ford rocks too -- high five"
"I've run out of things to high five"
"Let's high five running out of things to high five"
Bill Robertson
#5939
-
Administrator
First of all (your earlier post)- I haven taken any of your BS personal and could imagine all of us getting blasted and having a hell of a time. (Maybe one weekend here in the mountains so we won't get arrested). BUT, the evil overlord of alternative DeLorean fuel delivery SUCKS!
Back to you post above-
If that's all it takes for you to quit prefacing every other #ucking post with a turd in the pool and not offering even a "yes" or "no" TO SERIOUS QUESTIONS, I'll trade in the seafoam swim suits for mankinis (or you can have one of them) -- I'm keeping the girls. But you all have to promise not to wear them around me!!!
Last edited by Ron; 09-12-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules