FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 56 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 763

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

  1. #551
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    If people are converting to carbs because their K-Jet is being a problem, do any of them check the state of the tank?
    Yep. A previous owner cleaned the tank, replaced the K-Jet fuel pump, replaced the accumulator, and who knows what else. I don't have the records in front of me at the moment.

    Perhaps my car already had electrical problems at the fuel pump. What people don't realize is my low pressure fuel pump has less problems than my old CIS fuel pump, even with suspected electrical problems. Hmmm.

    Our fuel pumps only have to run long enough to keep the carburetor bowl full. The fuel pump could sputter on and off all day long and it might not even be noticed because we only need it to run long enough to fill the bowl. If a Kjet or EFI fuel pump starts to sputter you are screwed.

  2. #552
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    If a Kjet or EFI fuel pump starts to sputter you are screwed.
    Not necessarily -- remember, those roller-cell fuel pumps put out more fuel than is necessary. It would be possible to run the engine with the fuel pump at less than 100% efficiency, but you might occasionally stall under load/acceleration, or get other symptoms of a lean condition.

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  3. #553
    Nothing witty here lest it offend
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    990

    Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    Hmmm. I'm amused.

    Somehow the carbs vs K-Jet debate has segwayed into "Carb conversions vs EFI conversions".

    do any of them check the state of the tank? It might explain this rash of pump failures... I reserve the right to snigger if this is the case,
    Mine was cleaned twice. Eventually we wised up and ditched the metal bracket.

  4. #554
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Mine was cleaned twice. Eventually we wised up and ditched the metal bracket.
    I have a feeling Martin's sniggering, anyway. ;-)

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  5. #555
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I have a feeling Martin's sniggering, anyway. ;-)

    Farrar
    That or he is possessed by Steve.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  6. #556
    Tweedledumber DCUK Martin's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  DeLorean Cars, UK

    Posts:    593

    Nah, not really. Despite Bill's efforts to make it look like the contrary, I've never suggested people shouldn't convert to a carburetor.

    If nothing else you've shown there's no "magic bullet" to making a DeLorean reliable.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

  7. #557
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    If nothing else you've shown there's no "magic bullet" to making a DeLorean reliable.
    Can you run EFI or CIS with a coke bottle full of gasoline?

  8. #558
    Nothing witty here lest it offend
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    990

    Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    there's no "magic bullet" to making a DeLorean reliable.
    Tell me something I don't know. I used to cling to 'but it's thirty years old!' I don't know why I ever made that argument.

  9. #559
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Can you run EFI or CIS with a coke bottle full of gasoline?
    Sure! If there is a way for the air to get in, I can get fuel in..??? But you know...

    Seriously, tell me why you seem to approach a lot of this from a 'build/fix it for when it fails' rather than for it 'not to fail' in the first place? -- No BS, sarcasim, wit, etc...straight up?

  10. #560
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Sure! If there is a way for the air to get in, I can get fuel in..??? But you know...

    Seriously, tell me why you seem to approach a lot of this from a 'build/fix it for when it fails' rather than for it 'not to fail' in the first place? -- No BS, sarcasim, wit, etc...straight up?
    I don't understand how a coke bottle could possibly provide enough pressure to push fuel through a fuel injector unless you run a hose inside the car and have a passenger squeeze the bottle while you drive.

    I do aproach stuff with the mentality of it not failing in the first place but I also prepare myself for the unexpected. Do you carry battery jumper cables in your car?

Page 56 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •