Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posts: 1,540
If you don't see any obvious connection problems, I would pull the alternator and have it tested. Not unusual for a newer alternator to go bad.
Location: Stayton, Oregon 97383
Posts: 231
My VIN: 10309
+1 on removing alternator and taking it in to your nearest auto parts store for a free test. Rules out the most obvious fault then you can look to other
more exotic reasons for no charge condition. You need to charge up the battery now so take it with you for the free charge at Auto Zone, Oreilly or Advance Auto.
Since the light never comes on, it makes no sense to pull the alternator without grounding the Brown/Yellow wire and seeing if it comes on, first.
Posts: 1,540
Thanks for all the help. I spoke with Josh from DPI and seems the alternator is at fault. After a continuity with the alternator and the bulls head connector, it seems that the alternator might have been damaged when the battery was recharged.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He did, in post 4, 10 and a pic in 11.
Anywaaay, it's a minute versus an hour....and he's got it covered now.
That happens a lot (with jumps).
If that shop (or whoever) will not take care of it, there's a ~95% chance that all it needs is a regulator.
Posts: 303
If the alternator is bad and the warranty for a replacement ran out or is null, do yourself a favor and go to your local Autozone and pick up an alternator from a 1994 Chevy Camaro with a 3.4 engine. I'm all for supporting the vendors but when it comes to the starter and alternator, you can't beat a local parts place that offers a lifetime warranty on them.
If you have DPI's new billet Alternator bracket, you may get away with the alternator being a drop in, I believe he makes the mounting point on it longer to fit the aftermarket alternators. If not, you'll need a 1/2 inch spacer to go between the alternator and bracket:
IMG_7894.jpg
Personally I am in favor of having them rebuilt locally. After my last(and 3rd or 4th total) alternator took a dump, and for 10 years of seeing less than stellar voltage and charge rates, I had mine rebuilt by a shop that has done nothing but starters and alternators for the last 25 years.
Upon installation I was thrilled to see a solid 14+ volts at idle on my gauge. Something I had not seen in a decade.
If you do go down that path, make sure it's a good shop that will redo the windings rather than just dip them.
Last edited by Michael; 06-26-2021 at 11:27 AM.