FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 18 of 193 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #171
    LS Swapper Josh's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2013

    Location:  Illinois

    Posts:    2,514

    My VIN:    11408

    Club(s):   (ADOA)

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    When I watched the old video of the DMC plant the throttle link was actually gold too. Not sure if it was maybe just the first cars that had so much gold plated stuff or not.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    its yellow zinc plating.

    Supercharged 5.3L LS4 / Porsche 6spd 522 whp

  2. #172
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    its yellow zinc plating.
    Looks different than yellow zinc. Super bright gold whereas yellow zinc just has a yellow tint to it.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  3. #173
    Senior Member 82DMC12's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Olathe, KS

    Posts:    1,973

    My VIN:    11596

    I always thought the original plating was cadmium. That's hard to get done nowadays because apparently cadmium plating is not very eco-friendly so most shops have moved to just zinc plating. At least that's what two shops near me said. My understanding is Lotus had the same plating in that era.
    Andy Lien

    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

    Photography and Backpacking is life.

    Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

  4. #174
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    I always thought the original plating was cadmium. That's hard to get done nowadays because apparently cadmium plating is not very eco-friendly so most shops have moved to just zinc plating. At least that's what two shops near me said. My understanding is Lotus had the same plating in that era.
    Yeah a lot of the stuff was cad. I am just referring to the stuff that had a gold color to it. The gold stuff may have had cad then the yellow chromate over it.
    I just restored a 1970 BMW motorcycle recently and I ran into the issue of that being all cad plating originally. I did find a place on the east coast that did cad plating but I didn't like their answer when I asked for an estimate on what it would cost to have my stuff plated,..Basically they wouldn't give me even a ballpark. They just wanted me to send them my stuff. I know how that works. You have all of my parts which are rare and worth a lot then you say "OK if you ever want to see your parts again you need to pay us $1000 to have them plated."
    In the end I had a buddy of mine zinc plate them. I asked a lot of guys on line and basically that's what most people doing restorations are doing unless your doing a concors resto. Once it gets weathered the zinc looks pretty close to cad anyways.

    It was someone I could trust, a local operation, and he didn't charge me anything for it so I sold what the heck. Parts came out pretty nice but I did notice that it wasn't worth it for nuts and bolts. It seemed like it made the metal more weak. Also some of the threads were too thick.

    I should see if he can plate my stuff for the car.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Attachment 67846
    Last edited by SupercoolBill; 01-18-2022 at 11:14 AM.

  5. #175
    Senior Member 82DMC12's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Olathe, KS

    Posts:    1,973

    My VIN:    11596

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    Yeah a lot of the stuff was cad. I am just referring to the stuff that had a gold color to it. The gold stuff may have had cad then the yellow chromate over it.
    I just restored a 1970 BMW motorcycle recently and I ran into the issue of that being all cad plating originally. I did find a place on the east coast that did cad plating but I didn't like their answer when I asked for an estimate on what it would cost to have my stuff plated,..Basically they wouldn't give me even a ballpark. They just wanted me to send them my stuff. I know how that works. You have all of my parts which are rare and worth a lot then you say "OK if you ever want to see your parts again you need to pay us $1000 to have them plated."
    In the end I had a buddy of mine zinc plate them. I asked a lot of guys on line and basically that's what most people doing restorations are doing unless your doing a concors resto. Once it gets weathered the zinc looks pretty close to cad anyways.

    It was someone I could trust, a local operation, and he didn't charge me anything for it so I sold what the heck. Parts came out pretty nice but I did notice that it wasn't worth it for nuts and bolts. It seemed like it made the metal more weak. Also some of the threads were too thick.

    I should see if he can plate my stuff for the car.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Attachment 67846
    That's weird, the bolts I got back from DMCMW's plating service were perfect and the threads were clean and well-plated. But I also blow out the threaded hole it is going into with shop air and then put a drop of tap and die oil on pretty much every bolt and thread it in by hand before I pull it out, wipe it off, and then finally assemble. That way I know the threads are good. Also a thin layer of copper anti-seize on the threads and shank of any bolt that doesn't have a specific torque requirement.
    Andy Lien

    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

    Photography and Backpacking is life.

    Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

  6. #176
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    9,604

    My VIN:    03572

    I found CAD plating on bolts would come right off the threads on first use. Those bolts were also AN rated aircraft hardware.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  7. #177
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I found CAD plating on bolts would come right off the threads on first use. Those bolts were also AN rated aircraft hardware.
    Yeah lots of cad plated stuff on planes.20220105_123351.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  8. #178
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Update-
    Last night we worked on the car for around 3 hours.
    Managed to get the engine and transmission ready to come out.
    I am sure people are sick of me saying this but,..MAN this car is so rusty!!

    New discoveries last night:
    1. Transmission mount is broken.
    2. Heater piping above the engine (Valley of death) just crumbled when I moved the rubber hosing.
    3. The alternator bracket is a homemade hack job.
    4. Even with the body removed a lot of fasteners on this car are nearly impossible to get to.
    20220119_173958.jpg20220119_174005.jpg20220119_174757.jpg20220119_182031.jpg20220119_191332.jpg20220119_191344.jpg20220119_190743.jpg20220119_182650.jpg20220119_172321.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  9. #179
    Senior Member 82DMC12's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Olathe, KS

    Posts:    1,973

    My VIN:    11596

    So that's actually not the alternator bracket. The alternator is attached to the head with a block of metal that doesn't break. That welded bar you see is the upper muffler bracket which is a very common failure point. The muffler bracket doesn't actually have anything to do with the alternator attachment.
    Andy Lien

    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

    Photography and Backpacking is life.

    Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

  10. #180
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    So that's actually not the alternator bracket. The alternator is attached to the head with a block of metal that doesn't break. That welded bar you see is the upper muffler bracket which is a very common failure point. The muffler bracket doesn't actually have anything to do with the alternator attachment.
    It was kind of "all in one" on my car.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Page 18 of 193 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •