Today the wife and I focused on assembling the Mixture Assembly and Throttle spool assembly. My wife is getting really good at working on this stuff.
I didn't have new screws for the throttle disks so we walked over to the hardware store. I didn't find any screws that were a good match. We wanted to get this part of the project wrapped up so we removed the screws from our original instake. I broke off the split part of the screws. We used medium loctite on the threads of the screws.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
Throttle spool. In the second picture I was trying to figure out what that nylon ring was for.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
Last edited by SupercoolBill; 10-14-2023 at 09:45 PM.
Posts: 1,540
Boy, I would love to display that thing on my coffee table.
Damn, that mixture unit looks top notch. The key here will be making sure there is zero friction in the roller for the fuel distributor piston and in the see-saw for the air flap. If there is any friction or drag from grime or vapor blast media, it could cause fueling issues. Same with the throttle body, it can't feel sticky when operating by hand, though that's not such a big deal because you have springs helping it return to zero.
Andy Lien
VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023
Photography and Backpacking is life.
Was Fargo, ND
Now Kansas City
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, Calif.
Posts: 2,234
My VIN: 0934
Club(s): (NCDMC) (DCUK)
As you probably figured by now the nylon ring has nothing to do with the throttle quadrant but that part does belong with the assembly you're working on.
It's this part, the Backup Ring that fits with an O-ring where the central inlet of the W-pipe slips onto the throttle body outlets. Items 53 and 54 in this assembly.
You should have a pair of them, one for each barrel in the throttle body. Unlike the o-rings those nylon backup rings should last decades.
March '81, 5-speed, black interior
Yeah I ended up restoring that little roller bearing because it was stuck. That was a stressful job since you can't buy any of these parts individually. No friction anywhere. Everything has been rinsed and washed then rinsed twice. Then after dry blown out with compressed air. Then in some cases blasted with canned degreaser just to make sure.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk