FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 79 of 193 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 129 179 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 790 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #781
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    My wife carefully removing the old gasket and sealant.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  2. #782
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I decided to check the flatness of the case mating surfaces while everything was apart.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  3. #783
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I felt quite confident that I had the differential carrier bearings preload set for a good setting. Basically I ended up setting it back where it was when we took the transmission apart. But, a couple people kept saying that I should set the preload by doing the pull string test. So I figured what the heck...I'll do the silly pull string thing.
    I started by knocking the bearing race out a bit so I knew it was backed off. Next, we bolted the case halves together. You're supposed to put every bolt in, torque them all down, etc. We didn't do all that. I couldn't see how all that was necessary. We put in all the bolts near the carrier and just snugged them down.
    So we did the thing and guess what? Ended up right back where I had it set. Oh well. Confirmation I guess.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  4. #784
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Worth mentioning...the manual actually doesn't say that you need to test the preload if you're reusing the bearings and to just make sure it feels right.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  5. #785
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We cleaned the mating surfaces, bearing races, and bearing housings with acetone. Put bearing retainer on the bearings.

    We painted the sealant on this time. We are not taking any chances.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  6. #786
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    This part is always stressful. You have to make sure the reverse gear is lined up in the right place before you set the case half on. You can't really see in there as you set it in place.
    As soon as we got a couple bolts in we tested reverse to make sure it worked.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  7. #787
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I used my new bolt cleaning tool to clean a couple bolts. Most of the bolts didn't need to be cleaned.
    All the bolts torqued to spec.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  8. #788
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We backed off the adjuster nut, applied some Hylomar, and put it back to the correct location. I splurged on a new stainless steel lock down plate so we installed it.
    Lastly we installed the drive flanges and shifter pieces.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  9. #789
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,541

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    I used my new bolt cleaning tool to clean a couple bolts. Most of the bolts didn't need to be cleaned.
    All the bolts torqued to spec.
    What is a bolt cleaning machine principle? Is it just a tapped hole?

  10. #790
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    What is a bolt cleaning machine principle? Is it just a tapped hole?
    It has stiff bristles in there. I bought it on Amazon.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Page 79 of 193 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 129 179 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •