Tonight we worked on the car from 5:30P till 8:30P.
Earlier today we received an order that I placed with D-Ind a couple days ago. The quick delivery is much appreciated.
Being the critic that I am the only gripe with the radiator rock guard is almost TOO heavy duty. This thing is heavy!
Better that than something flimsy and cheap though. Great quality product. Everything else was also top notch as usual.
Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk
Our goal tonight was to pressure test the fuel system. Before we worked on the fuel lines though we had to check to see if we forgot to install the Pipe of Agony seal. I found a new seal in a bag so I had my suspicions.
We looked in with a mirror and sure enough....no seal. Dang it!! Pulled a bunch of stuff back apart.
I tested the seal and it fit very loose. I cleaned the seal and seal hole with isopropyl alcohol, smeared some Great Stuff on the hole, and installed the seal.
That was a fun detour....
Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk
Had to go to bed last night (5:00A comes early) so picking up where I had left off on my report of what we did last night.
We sifted through pictures online, in our own pictures, YouTube videos, etc try to determine the best way to run the flexible fuel lines.
I am so glad that I learned about being able to rotate the banjo at the end of the lines. The first time we did this I didn't know that they could be rotated and it was extremely difficult to get the lines run.
This banjo bolt doesn't seem quite long enough with the new banjo ends. I messaged Josh about it. He had me take a picture of the head of the bolt. He was looking to see if it had their marking on it. It didn't. So maybe we thought maybe I didn't get it from D-Ind. But I thought I did and he has record of us purchasing a banjo bolt kit from him on Nov 21. Odd...I think he is just going to go ahead and send another (longer) bolt.
Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk
No pictures but next we connected the fuel filler hose and vent to the filler neck, dumped a gallon or two of ethanol free gas into the tank, grabbed a fire extinguisher, and sent 12 volts to the fuel pump. It took a little while to get everything primed but eventually we built fuel pressure. Then the leaks started.The fuel filter inlet fitting was leaking really bad and something in the accumulator area was leaking. Yee ha.
I wasn't too surprised that the 90 on the fuel filter leaked. I had bought a nice SS threaded by compression 90 somewhere...maybe at the local hydraulic store. It wasn't tapered thread though so I put an o-ring on it. That didn't work...it's leaking.
The leak near at the accumulator worries me though.
The car isn't high enough to get under right now and we have still not bolted the body to the frame yet so I think we will jack up under the frame (WITH BLOCKING!) then either set the tires on ramps or put jack stands under the frame.
Good news is....so far no leaks on any of the flexible hoses on the engine!
Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk
Location: Syracuse, NY area
Posts: 1,059
My VIN: 10287
Club(s): (DMA)
Glad your engine lines are leak free.
I nominate the accumulator as the car's biggest PITA to get tight without f'ing up something. Are you still using the original hard lines? I replaced my accumulator two years ago and the damn thing would not stop leaking to save my life. I took it off and reassembled three times, tried sealing tape on everything threaded, generally drove myself insane. It turned out the hard line going to the 90-degree fitting was pitted and leaking. Since that line is mounted between the frame and the tub and I was not going to separate the two, I ended up having a new line made to bypass the original hard line. Since you are doing a complete frame off restoration, you probably have all new fuel lines so probably not your problem. But perhaps it would be easier to use a new flexible line and eliminate the 90-degree fitting.
Nick A.
1988 BMW 325is
1982 DeLorean DMC-12
1989 Jaguar XJ6
Posts: 1,540
~LXA~
Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry