FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 139 of 193 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 189 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #1381
    Senior Member 82DMC12's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Olathe, KS

    Posts:    1,973

    My VIN:    11596

    Now that you have the HVAC box out, I would love to know if it is possible to cut a rectangular hole In the face of the box facing the passenger seat vertically above the drain tube somewhere so that the interior could be accessed and vacuumed out right where the drain tube connects inside. If you could cut a rectangular hole, you could save that bit and put it back in place with foil tape.

    Take a look and I would love to know what you think or if there is anything in the way inside that would prevent this from working. I would like to clean out the inside where the drain is but I don't want to remove the HVAC box.

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

    Photography and Backpacking is life.

    Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

  2. #1382
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    A rodent chewed on this damper.

    Tam split the HVAC box

    All of the dampers are rusty and the sealing gaskets are junk.

    I marked where things went as we took them apart.

    The evaporator has this fancy double-layer screen on it. Seems a bit overkill to me. I'm not sure I'll necessarily put this on the new evaporator.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  3. #1383
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Now that you have the HVAC box out, I would love to know if it is possible to cut a rectangular hole In the face of the box facing the passenger seat vertically above the drain tube somewhere so that the interior could be accessed and vacuumed out right where the drain tube connects inside. If you could cut a rectangular hole, you could save that bit and put it back in place with foil tape.

    Take a look and I would love to know what you think or if there is anything in the way inside that would prevent this from working. I would like to clean out the inside where the drain is but I don't want to remove the HVAC box.

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    I'll check. This reminds me of Suzuki Samurais. We used to be into them. We've owned 12. They had the same issue of crap going in through the exterior defrost vents and getting stuck in the HVAC box. And rodents of course.
    On those you could take a hole saw, 3" if I remember correctly, drill a hole in the right place, vacuum the box out, then install a 3" plug. The whole ordeal took less than an hour to do.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  4. #1384
    Senior Member 82DMC12's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Olathe, KS

    Posts:    1,973

    My VIN:    11596

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    I'll check. This reminds me of Suzuki Samurais. We used to be into them. We've owned 12. They had the same issue of crap going in through the exterior defrost vents and getting stuck in the HVAC box. And rodents of course.
    On those you could take a hole saw, 3" if I remember correctly, drill a hole in the right place, vacuum the box out, then install a 3" plug. The whole ordeal took less than an hour to do.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    That would be ideal but maybe even only a 2" hole would be fine

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

    Photography and Backpacking is life.

    Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

  5. #1385
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Squeaky clean

    I carefully cut the nut to be able to remove it.

    Gross blower motor.

    I cleaned it up and lubed the bearings
    Tam cleaned the blower wheel.

    I found the exact nut I needed in my stock.



    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  6. #1386
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Tam blasted the rusty parts then we primed and painted them.



    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  7. #1387
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I'm really not understanding this screen. It appears to be on the downstream side of the coil. All of the nasty crap was on the inlet side of the evap coil. I'm really feeling like the thing to do is install a screen under the lower windshield valance and remove this one.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  8. #1388
    Senior Member 82DMC12's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Olathe, KS

    Posts:    1,973

    My VIN:    11596

    Yeah a couple years ago I replaced the cowl and added a stainless intake screen. Seems like cheap insurance if nothing else. The cowl is kind of a pain to remove, needing to remove a few screws that also have to be sealed with RTV so they don't leak into the interior.

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

    Photography and Backpacking is life.

    Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

  9. #1389
    DMC Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2016

    Location:  SW FL

    Posts:    1,096

    Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

    Andy, that looks exactly like the mesh screen I recently installed. As you mentioned, cheap insurance.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

  10. #1390
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Yeah a couple years ago I replaced the cowl and added a stainless intake screen. Seems like cheap insurance if nothing else. The cowl is kind of a pain to remove, needing to remove a few screws that also have to be sealed with RTV so they don't leak into the interior.

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Yeah mine was broken so it is already removed. I'll definitely be cleaning down in there then putting a screen over the opening.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

Page 139 of 193 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 189 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •