FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41
Results 401 to 410 of 410

Thread: The Restoration of #1768

  1. #401
    Senior Member vwdmc16's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  sacramento

    Posts:    1,418

    My VIN:    1768

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Thanks! Here's some more beauty pics from my drive up in the hills on my last birthday.










    Finally had some time to full strip down the front end for a good coat of paint on the frame, also fully powdercoat the last of the parts that were only coated in POR15 from years ago.









    Powdercoated, and reassembled with new hardware, had to have the coolant pipes and sway bar professionally done as they are too large for my oven.









    Prepped the frame and masked up the spots I didnt want painted, just Rustoleum machine grey.









    After two coats it was time to fully assemble all clean, Also finally have the correct sized front Stoptech pistons much better!:










  2. #402
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2015

    Location:  Tacoma, Wa

    Posts:    2,210

    My VIN:    4877

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Awesome work.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

  3. #403
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Oct 2012

    Location:  Niceville, FL

    Posts:    104

    My VIN:    03430

    Great Work Clint! Its great to see the updates.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #404
    Senior Member vwdmc16's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  sacramento

    Posts:    1,418

    My VIN:    1768

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Hey everyone! A new record for me not updating this, nearly 5 years! ugh I know, sorry. I want to get back into updating this more,
    not just for those of you still reading this but for my own personal records and nostalgia.
    I'll need to dig up the phots of the major events the car has has over the last 5 years but to honest there hasn't been nearly as much as before.
    The real short of it is that for a few of these last years I've kinda lost my passion for the Delorean and the community,
    its back a bit now but I had so many frustrating delays, and minor issues that built up to me no wanting to keep pouring my heart into this machine that wasn't returning the love on top of frustrations at work and with my personal life, this car has been put in the back seat.

    Another reason for lack of posts is as we have all seen the sad truth that car forums are dying off fast, I really hate that Facebook did that,
    its an awful format that wont have any good records for the future, its all about showing off and arguing about current trends and issues.
    Id like to see this platform going as long as it can.






    Otherwise the car has still been quite reliable, only recently the K jet has given me more big headaches, I think I have is ready again for yet another Smog here in California.
    But lets go over the big mile stones I can remember and Ill go into them more with photos as I get them uploaded:

    June 2024: Car is at 87,700 miles
    August 2025 88,900



    1: Brakes: Im still running the StopTech St43 4 piston calipers and 280mm rotors up front and stocks in the rear.
    I've made bolt-on brackets to install the same type calipers in the rear with a lightly modified 300 mm rotor from the front of a Mini Cooper R56 JCW.










    However I will need custom made caliper pistons to get the rear brake balance correct while still using the stock DMC master Cylinder.
    This does not give a parking brake option, my plan was to add another bracket off the trailing arm to mount a Universal Willwood electronic parking brake caliper.
    No plans to get that done soon. I have about 8k miles on this current set up and while its stronger than stock, I still dont love it.
    Its a bit more sensitive than I wanted and makes more brake dust that anyone wants.



    2: Suspension: My 2021 Ive gone to a KW v2 coil over set up since May 2021. I really like it, definitely better than any other set up ive tried.
    I didnt like the colors of the purple and yellow so I re-powder coated the springs on day one.







    I also made these short front lower arm braces from 1.25" DOM to triangulate and secure under braking. Works fantastic



    [img][/img]



    4k miles on it the system was working pretty good untill about 6moths ago when ive been having a possible front spring failure.
    the car would bottom out and really bang on the front left corner over speedbumps and clockwise on ramp.
    Raising the spring does nothing to change ride height. its very odd. Ive ordered a taller and heavier spring from Eibach, 70mm 285in/lbs 200mm springs.
    Unfortunately those have been on permanent back order since ordered in February '24 So I ended up buying a set of some weire branded Japanese universal springs.
    285ft/lb and 9" long was about an inch too much but I was able to get them in and it made a huge difference, Car feels so much better that it actually has travel
    and a good spring rate. Now to do the same for the rear to help reduce body roll, The car also finally has full Urethane bushings too.





    In April of '22 I stopped using the BFG rear tires and with to Toyo R888R in 235-50-15 size which sadly do not look anywhere as well fitted to the car as a 60 profile does.
    But the rear has way more grip and less sidewall deflection, really pushes the limits of the suspension and brakes!










    Interior: New seat covers!

    November 2021 finally I fixed the biggest blemish of the interior by installing the nicest seat covers from DeloreanGo. stripped and powder coated the seat frames after fixing broken welds too. Amazing how much better they work!






    Really like them alot, they fit very well and look like the originals do. i just wish they kept that strong leather smell longer,
    still need to do the steering wheel and Binnicale, also have a big crack in my Glove box door, boo. Ive kinda given up on thinking to re do the interior in Suede.


    .......CONTINUED.......

  5. #405
    Senior Member vwdmc16's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  sacramento

    Posts:    1,418

    My VIN:    1768

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Some other fun, Had this great photo shoot with this photographer that wanted to make his own version of a Album cover for his favorite band Daft Punk that was breaking up at the time.









    Had my wheels sandblasted to be be re coated all in the same dark grey, after a wrong color that looked more like primer was done I finally got the color I wanted, Its called Black Chrome but looks like a great early grey, Sadly my powder coater guy stopped talking with me after just doing the one test wheel....






    2023 my heater core started to leak so the last big item ive not touched on my car the HVAC came out for a full refresh and reseal. New heater core, the AC works much better with all the leaks sealed but sadly the heater is not quite as strong as it once was







    CRASH!!!!!!






    Yeah it was bound to happen sooner or later. One evening on the way home from a car show driving south on Interstate 5 I ran over
    something that looked like a large bumper shock or a McPherson strut, It went right under the driver seat avoiding the tires but hit my front frame horn,
    punching a hole in the 0.120" thick DOM tubing



    Went under the floor scratching the tub and punching a big hole in the storage cubby behind me:




    Balled up the trailing arm shield as you saw above, bent my lower rear control arm


    Put a large hole in the DMCH exhaust after the cat.


    The impact was hard enough to crack the windshield and pop the inertia switch.
    Thankfully I didn't loose control or hit anyone but that metal took out some other cars. I was able to limp home a mile and access the damage more.
    Stupidly I filed a claim with insurance and of course they think a few dents in holes in fiberglass will cost $55k to repair and wanted to total the car.
    NOPE, retracted claim, I'll fix it myself for a grand. Still mad about that and ever since then I really havent been driving the car near as much for fear of the insurance being poor.
    I cant raise the agreed value until its all repaired and inspected again, still they may not want to cover it.
    I still wont go back to Hagerty after my Volvo crash they want a ridiculous premium for my DMC too.








    Engine swap:
    Ive wanted to do this before I even had the car and somehow after 15 years ive still not really started it, until recently. Ive toyed with the idea of a few different engines. I mocked up a few just to see how viable they could be:

    Honda k24 with the original transmission ( right before anyone had finished one)





    But Ive become a real BMW guy the last 10 years so How about a BMW M62 v8!







    I was more into the straight 6 engine though. so I was leaning towards a M54 3.0, all aluminum, solid engine. Although I think the next generation called the N52 would be even better as its a blittle more power (270hp and is the lightest 6 they ever made with all the magnesium they have








    The ultimate in silliness would be the BmwM70 5.0L V12, does not fit well, but imagine a v12 Delorean!









    So back into reality ive decided to go with something else a bit different that what's been done before



    I bought a Porsche G96 6 speed and a GM LF3 Twin turbo V6 to drop
    in, Nobody has done this combo to my knowledge, there has been a LFX swapped D here mentioned on this forum but no pics of finished proof. This engine is based on that same GM 60 degree "high Feature v6" made from 09 to now. 3.6 Liter DOHC 24 V, Direct fuel injection, VVT on all cams, water-air intercooler in the manifold.










    I swapped in a 5th gen Camaro LFX into a 1986 Maserati Biturbo as a side project for a customer a few years back. 330hp and 300 tq and revs to 7k all day. I Really like the power and sound of that engine, they are cheap and can be durable if you change the oil and don't put a ton of miles on them.








    The LF3/4 is a stronger version made for boost in the CTS V sport and XTS V sports. 430hp isnt bad. Unfortunately its its heavier than I thought and
    will add over 100lbs to the rear, Also I was told by Kennedy adapters that they made and adapter plate for that engine to the Porsche transmission until I bought all the parts and went to order
    that adapter they said actually no We will not make you one as there are too many over lapping fasteners.


    SOOOO, I just have to chop and weld a GM bellhousing onto the Transaxle myself.
    That's basically where I am with this project now. Really hoping it will fit into the Delorean after I have the drivetrain assembled. basic measurements says it should but you
    never really know until you mock it up.










    And thats about caught us up with the Delorean. Ive been playing with some other cars recently, been on a Prewar car kick. Bought my first American car: 1930 Ford Model A that I put a BMW
    M54 3.0L into, its been pretty fun.



















    But I also wanted something even older:











    yeah ive been busy!

    Thanks for looking!

  6. #406
    Daily Driver ssdelorean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  NW Ohio

    Posts:    554

    My VIN:    16506

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Another reason for lack of posts is as we have all seen the sad truth that car forums are dying off fast, I really hate that Facebook did that,
    its an awful format that wont have any good records for the future, its all about showing off and arguing about current trends and issues.
    Id like to see this platform going as long as it can.
    Agree.
    FB is a horrible format for any club/hobby where you need to document or find information.
    Long live the forums.
    Get off my lawn. :-)

    Love the Model A. Great stance & window AC unit.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) - original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) - original donor 2003
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) - DMCH 2004
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) - DMCH 2006
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) - DMCH 2008
    6th angle drive - OVER 134,865 miles (16 yrs 1 month) and counting - Martin G. Speedograph 2009
    over 266K miles

  7. #407
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    9,605

    My VIN:    03572

    Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Agree.
    FB is a horrible format for any club/hobby where you need to document or find information.
    Long live the forums.
    Get off my lawn. :-)

    Love the Model A. Great stance & window AC unit.
    I second that. It's a shame it's so hard for owners to get to be a member on this forum. I wish there was an email we could send about a new owner to get verified.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  8. #408
    Daily Driver ssdelorean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  NW Ohio

    Posts:    554

    My VIN:    16506

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I second that. It's a shame it's so hard for owners to get to be a member on this forum. I wish there was an email we could send about a new owner to get verified.
    I have a couple Detroit owners who said they are waiting approval here.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) - original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) - original donor 2003
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) - DMCH 2004
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) - DMCH 2006
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) - DMCH 2008
    6th angle drive - OVER 134,865 miles (16 yrs 1 month) and counting - Martin G. Speedograph 2009
    over 266K miles

  9. #409
    DMC Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2016

    Location:  SW FL

    Posts:    1,096

    Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Agree.
    FB is a horrible format for any club/hobby where you need to document or find information.
    Long live the forums.
    Get off my lawn. :-)

    Love the Model A. Great stance & window AC unit.
    Agreed. Stay off my lawn!
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

  10. #410
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,541

    Good update! Please keep us updated in the future.

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •