FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 158 of 193 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #1571
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I reinstalled the rebuilt stereo. It is a tight fit but it can be fed in from the side.


    I'm getting a lot of inconsistency, crackling, fading in and out of my speakers. It seems to be an issue of bad connections in the plug connectors for the speaker wires. I say this because when I move the wires around it directly affects the symptoms. I feel like just chopping off the connectors and butt splicing the wires.



    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SupercoolBill; 11-22-2025 at 07:49 PM.

  2. #1572
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2016

    Posts:    509

    Before you cut off all the connectors to butt splice, apply some DeoxIT. If you have the spray version, just undo the connectors and spray into both male and female pins. Then connect and disconnect the Molex connector several times. In addition to deoxidizing, it also provides some lubrication to the pins.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006LVEU...n_title_1&th=1

    There is also a high potency version. It just takes a drop. But there is no carrier solvent to insure dispersal and coverage like with the spray can version. Thus, it's limited to applications where you have easy access to the contacting material of the connector.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000YH6F8...d_asin_title_2

    Ron

  3. #1573
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Before you cut off all the connectors to butt splice, apply some DeoxIT. If you have the spray version, just undo the connectors and spray into both male and female pins. Then connect and disconnect the Molex connector several times. In addition to deoxidizing, it also provides some lubrication to the pins.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006LVEU...n_title_1&th=1

    There is also a high potency version. It just takes a drop. But there is no carrier solvent to insure dispersal and coverage like with the spray can version. Thus, it's limited to applications where you have easy access to the contacting material of the connector.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000YH6F8...d_asin_title_2

    Ron
    Will do. I already have a can per your advice way back when.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  4. #1574
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Went to work this morning and started rummaging through stuff at the shop that could be used for venting the cars exhaust to the outside so we can work on tuning the engine in this winter.
    Found some 2" flexible conduit.


    I just need some adapters to go to these 2" couplings.



    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  5. #1575
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I couldn't seem to focus on work. I ended up checking to see what vanity plates are available through the state bureau of vehicles.
    Here are a few that I came up with and are also available-


    We may just end up running a 1980s license plate. It is acceptable to run a period correct license plate in Maine.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  6. #1576
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We worked on the car after work from 4P-7.
    I cleaned the electrical connections for the speaker outputs






    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  7. #1577
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    With the connections cleaned I plugged in the connections.
    I hooked up the battery and tested the stereo again. The sound seemed better and didn't crackle when I moved the wires around.

    I wanted to make sure that the radio worked so I figured out the power antenna. Basically the factory relay was no longer required so I removed it and wired in the new antenna.



    We tested the radio...antenna didn't go up. Then I realized that the left rear quarter wasn't grounded yet. I put a temporary jumper from the AC compressor to the panel. Wah-lah! The antenna works! And some radio stations come in!

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  8. #1578
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We bolted up the front fender brace on the right side and left the hardware in the left side. Our new fender from DMCH is supposed to be here Wednesday.



    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  9. #1579
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    The last thing I did before we called it a night was to work on the license plate bezel.
    All of the screws were seized.

    Ground them down flat and center punched them.

    This didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped.

    I managed to not destroy the bezel too bad. I put new inserts in

    I added some loctite to lock them in.
    I installed new screws with anti-seize.


    I haven't decided yet if I want to try to recondition the bezel or paint it. That is for another night.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  10. #1580
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Feb 2015

    Posts:    224

    My VIN:    5848

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    I couldn't seem to focus on work. I ended up checking to see what vanity plates are available through the state bureau of vehicles.
    Here are a few that I came up with and are also available-


    We may just end up running a 1980s license plate. It is acceptable to run a period correct license plate in Maine.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    I got a huge laugh from "CAH" I get it.

    Was TYME4US available to represent you and Tam working on it? Just a thought.
    Lots of other good choices.

    Thanks for all of your time you take for updates and pictures. I have learned quite a lot from them.
    I look forward every day to them.

Page 158 of 193 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 168 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •