FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 160 of 193 FirstFirst ... 60 110 150 158 159 160 161 162 170 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #1591
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    This part of the door and the fender doesn't line up right. It didn't on the previous new fender either.
    This is how it should look.

    Sorry I guess no picture of the messed up driver's side.
    I traced out the passenger door, cut on the line, then checked the driver's side.

    The door is bent on this corner. Should be an easy fix later on.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  2. #1592
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I removed the front latch so I could let the hood rest on the bump stops while making our adjustments.
    We installed the hood on the car with the nuts loosely tightened. It's always stressful messing around with the hood due to the cost of replacement if it gets damaged.

    We adjusted the hood hinges up and down, left to right, front to back, tried to get gap on both sides of the hood even, etc.

    If you like things perfect, don't buy a Delorean lol!

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  3. #1593
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We finished mounting up the fender.

    I reinstalled the fronk latch set up, adjusted, and tested it.

    Tam tightened down all of the bolts up front and installed the headlight mounts.



    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SupercoolBill; 11-29-2025 at 08:39 PM.

  4. #1594
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I installed the left side rocker.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  5. #1595
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    And the icing on the cake, new fender edge trim and bolting up the support bar.


    Just having the fender, hood, and headlights installed made us feel like we are really getting somewhere.

    Even though we will probably just end up removing the hood again because the carpet on the underside needs to be re-attached still and the crash brackets and latch bar need to be removed and painted then re-installed.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  6. #1596
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I noticed this while working on the car and it kind of worries me. There is quite a gap between the top part of the doors and the windshield frame. Keep in mind I have some work to do on the left side because that door is not fully closing all the way on the front edge.
    I am not sure if the car has always been like this and I never noticed or if something happened to the doors since we have had it and have been working on it. My worry is that the doors somehow got tweaked.

    As you can see this door is not pulling in all the way at the bottom but I still don't think this will make up that gap on top.

    The right side IS fully closed but also has a gap on top.

    What do you guys think? Am I worried for no reason? Is this normal?

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  7. #1597
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,541

    I don?t think it?s right, but I also don?t think you tweaked it. Probably just needs adjusted. My pax door was not shutting right. I did a lot of screwing around with the latch post. It looks good now if I slam it from the outside. Just means I close the door for my wife.

  8. #1598
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    2,546

    My VIN:    6125

    I wouldn't get too caught up in the alignment of the doors / hood / fender until the car is sitting on the ground.

    There is quite a bit of flex in the fiberglass tub when it is supporting all that weight of the chassis hanging below it. You'll need to do all the final alignment of the panels with the car sitting on the suspension, or you can support the car from below by putting your jack stands under the frame instead of the body to get a better idea of what it'll look like when it's finally sitting on the ground.

    Overall that second fender looks much better than the first.

  9. #1599
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I wouldn't get too caught up in the alignment of the doors / hood / fender until the car is sitting on the ground.

    There is quite a bit of flex in the fiberglass tub when it is supporting all that weight of the chassis hanging below it. You'll need to do all the final alignment of the panels with the car sitting on the suspension, or you can support the car from below by putting your jack stands under the frame instead of the body to get a better idea of what it'll look like when it's finally sitting on the ground.

    Overall that second fender looks much better than the first.
    Ahhh very good point

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  10. #1600
    Senior Member GS450-Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Mosinee, Wis.

    Posts:    646

    My VIN:    00778 and 2312. Formerly 06770, 4923.

    Doors

    Remember to get the doors installed and working properly first, then adjust all other stainless panels to the doors. I know....easier said than done.

Page 160 of 193 FirstFirst ... 60 110 150 158 159 160 161 162 170 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •