We worked on the car from 4-7P.
Heated up the trim vinyl and carefully peeled it back.
Panel removed
Yup the original speakers were toast.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
We worked on the car from 4-7P.
Heated up the trim vinyl and carefully peeled it back.
Panel removed
Yup the original speakers were toast.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
The magnet on the new speakers is smaller. My first thought is that isn't a good thing but I could be wrong. Maybe a smaller magnet can do a better job today.
Cut the connectors off the old wires.
I searched high and low and couldn't find a really narrow connector like the speaker is supposed to have on one of the terminals. I tried the connectors I do have and it locked on really tight so I just used the same size on both sides.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
We removed the rear trim piece below the rear window while the sides were out. Cleaned it, removed the red light bulb that was in the light and installed a new clear bulb.
Checked the wiring. Luckily now rodent damage.
Wire connections looked pretty good. I sprayed them with some cleaner.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
I finally had a perfect opportunity to install the engine cover hinges. I had bought new hinges but also we restored the old hinges. I decided to go with the original ones. Put some oil in the part that rotates before installing them.
There is some play in the hinge bolt holes so we set the engine cover in place on the car then set the hinges in place.
I put some black RTV on the mounting surface for the hinges so water can't leak through.
I tried getting the nuts on and just couldn't get my fingers to work right so I had Tam install the nuts while I held the hinges centered in place.
I was very glad to have the hinges back on. It is like a another mile of the tail end of a marathon.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
I installed one the new speakers in the mount. I tightened the band clamp...and tightened, and tightened. The ears that hold the magnet were folding inward. I had the band pretty tight and didn't like how things were looking. I tried wiggling the speaker or what we call a "tug test" at work. The speaker easily broke free of the mount.
I don't like it. I need to find a way to make the O.D. of the magnet larger or the I.D. of the mounting ears smaller.
This still seems like a very odd way to mount a speaker. When I was younger and into car audio stuff I was always told to not have the magnet of a speaker installed touching or near metal and don't even for a short period, stick a speaker to something metal with its magnet.
The dogs were ready to go home and snuggle so we packed up for the night.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
Posts: 1,540
We worked on the car from 12-5:30.
I had come up with simple plan to make the rear speakers fit in the mounts better. Cut piece of duct tie then use heat shrink tubing to lock the pieces in place. Tam went to work on this.
One side modified with the spacers.
While she was doing that I added more sound deadener/insulation to the tub.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
The modified mounts worked well.
I removed some old sticky black tape from the harness and found a positive and negative wire just chopped and left. I am not sure if this would power the light for the gear selector in an automatic transmission car or what. If this is factory I am surprised they'd just leave a hot wire uncapped.
Tam put a heat shrink tube on it.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
Next up, replacing the front speakers. This is a horrible, painful job.
These are the "old" speakers. Pretty nice I think.
One problem, the face of the new speakers had a tall spacer ring made onto them. The speakers mount on studs coming down from above. So what you've got is what you've got.
Next problem, the mounting holes are quite large so I needed to install washer also.
I decided to remove the Pioneer screens from the old speakers.
So, the fun part. Lay on your back with your head under the dash, small flashlight in your teeth, push the speaker up as hard as you can and hold it there, put a tiny washer on the stud protruding through the speaker frame, get tiny nut started onto the stud which is just about flush with the washer.
Add to this that I seem to be too close to see with my glasses but can't see well without them. And of course my hand and fingers are not doing what my brain is trying to tell them to.
It took many tries but finally got all of them and tightened the nuts as much as we dared to.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
Next up. Finding a home for the powered subwoofer.
This was one option-
Eric W. Mounted his with heavy duty velcro up in front of the blower going horizontally.
The sub came with some mounting hardware. I was able to modify and use it to mount the sub.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk