FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD
www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
-
12-17-2025 09:48 AM
#1651
Senior Member
Okay since we have decided that I am not replacing the roof box right now what about installing the reinforcement kit on the door piston mounts?
My mounts seem to be in good shape. I am assuming I can just keep an eye on them and if they start getting wobbly address it then?
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
-
12-17-2025 10:04 AM
#1652
Senior Member

Originally Posted by
SupercoolBill
Okay since we have decided that I am not replacing the roof box right now what about installing the reinforcement kit on the door piston mounts?
My mounts seem to be in good shape. I am assuming I can just keep an eye on them and if they start getting wobbly address it then?
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
The don't wobble. They bend the plate they mount on.
-
12-17-2025 10:48 AM
#1653
Senior Member - Owner since 2003

Originally Posted by
SupercoolBill
Okay since we have decided that I am not replacing the roof box right now what about installing the reinforcement kit on the door piston mounts?
My mounts seem to be in good shape. I am assuming I can just keep an eye on them and if they start getting wobbly address it then?
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by
Bitsyncmaster
The don't wobble. They bend the plate they mount on.
Agreed, the ball studs mounted on the car will start to look like they are at an angle, and that's when you know they are bending/breaking the fiberglass. I wish the Heninger style replacements were still available, as they were a very good repair and a very fast install compared to the available options today.
Bent:

Repaired with Heninger bracket:
Last edited by Patrick C; 12-17-2025 at 10:51 AM.
Patrick C.
VIN 1880
-
12-17-2025 12:01 PM
#1654
Senior Member
This is what mine look like-

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
-
12-17-2025 12:03 PM
#1655
Senior Member
Are these rivets factory? If they are then should I install some large rivets?

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
-
12-17-2025 12:17 PM
#1656
Senior Member - Owner since 2003

Originally Posted by
SupercoolBill
This is what mine look like-

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
Looking at them from above, are they angled?
Your roof panel rivets are factory. They started doing this on the later vehicles in addition to the adhesive. I would still do the 2 carriage bolts through the roof modification while you have everything ripped apart for added insurance that your roof doesn't lift.
-
12-17-2025 12:50 PM
#1657
Senior Member

Originally Posted by
Patrick C
Looking at them from above, are they angled?
Your roof panel rivets are factory. They started doing this on the later vehicles in addition to the adhesive. I would still do the 2 carriage bolts through the roof modification while you have everything ripped apart for added insurance that your roof doesn't lift.
Driver's side-

Passenger side-

Now that I look at the pictures I can see that they are tipped a bit.
I don't mind installing the reinforcement plates. This is way less of a job than a new roof box.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
-
12-17-2025 01:14 PM
#1658
Senior Member
-
12-17-2025 02:01 PM
#1659
Senior Member

Originally Posted by
Patrick C
Okay ordered a can of the encapsulate in white and the long nozzle. I think the 3M nozzles I have would work but I don't want to wait to find out.
I went with white because I figure it will make it easier to check in there later.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
-
12-17-2025 06:11 PM
#1660
Senior Member - Owner since 2003

Originally Posted by
SupercoolBill
Okay ordered a can of the encapsulate in white and the long nozzle. I think the 3M nozzles I have would work but I don't want to wait to find out.
I went with white because I figure it will make it easier to check in there later.
Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
Nice! Keep us posted how it works out!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules