FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 166 of 193 FirstFirst ... 66 116 156 164 165 166 167 168 176 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #1651
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Okay since we have decided that I am not replacing the roof box right now what about installing the reinforcement kit on the door piston mounts?
    My mounts seem to be in good shape. I am assuming I can just keep an eye on them and if they start getting wobbly address it then?

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  2. #1652
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    9,604

    My VIN:    03572

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    Okay since we have decided that I am not replacing the roof box right now what about installing the reinforcement kit on the door piston mounts?
    My mounts seem to be in good shape. I am assuming I can just keep an eye on them and if they start getting wobbly address it then?

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    The don't wobble. They bend the plate they mount on.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  3. #1653
    Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern Michigan

    Posts:    1,236

    My VIN:    1880

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    Okay since we have decided that I am not replacing the roof box right now what about installing the reinforcement kit on the door piston mounts?
    My mounts seem to be in good shape. I am assuming I can just keep an eye on them and if they start getting wobbly address it then?

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The don't wobble. They bend the plate they mount on.
    Agreed, the ball studs mounted on the car will start to look like they are at an angle, and that's when you know they are bending/breaking the fiberglass. I wish the Heninger style replacements were still available, as they were a very good repair and a very fast install compared to the available options today.

    Bent:


    Repaired with Heninger bracket:
    Last edited by Patrick C; 12-17-2025 at 10:51 AM.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

  4. #1654
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    This is what mine look like-

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  5. #1655
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Are these rivets factory? If they are then should I install some large rivets?


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  6. #1656
    Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern Michigan

    Posts:    1,236

    My VIN:    1880

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    This is what mine look like-

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    Looking at them from above, are they angled?

    Your roof panel rivets are factory. They started doing this on the later vehicles in addition to the adhesive. I would still do the 2 carriage bolts through the roof modification while you have everything ripped apart for added insurance that your roof doesn't lift.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

  7. #1657
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Looking at them from above, are they angled?

    Your roof panel rivets are factory. They started doing this on the later vehicles in addition to the adhesive. I would still do the 2 carriage bolts through the roof modification while you have everything ripped apart for added insurance that your roof doesn't lift.
    Driver's side-

    Passenger side-


    Now that I look at the pictures I can see that they are tipped a bit.

    I don't mind installing the reinforcement plates. This is way less of a job than a new roof box.


    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  8. #1658
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    9,604

    My VIN:    03572

    Yes those are bent.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  9. #1659
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I vacuumed mine out using a variety of homemade vacuum attachment made from garden hoses, etc. I cleaned it as best I could this way, got a wire brush in where I could, etc. Then I used an Eastwood rust encapsulator paint with a long extender hose, and when that was dry in a few days, I used an Eastwood Waxoyl type of product also with a large extender hose and sprayed that all over the place in there as well. I think that bought a ton of time and will work for you as well.

    https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-he...ch-nozzle.html
    https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-bl...over-rust.html
    https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-he...-in-black.html
    Okay ordered a can of the encapsulate in white and the long nozzle. I think the 3M nozzles I have would work but I don't want to wait to find out.
    I went with white because I figure it will make it easier to check in there later.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

  10. #1660
    Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern Michigan

    Posts:    1,236

    My VIN:    1880

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    Okay ordered a can of the encapsulate in white and the long nozzle. I think the 3M nozzles I have would work but I don't want to wait to find out.
    I went with white because I figure it will make it easier to check in there later.

    Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    Nice! Keep us posted how it works out!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Page 166 of 193 FirstFirst ... 66 116 156 164 165 166 167 168 176 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •